Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
sromain
sromain began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook mini
Soldier in need of eSolution

I am new to the market, and would like to purchase a device that meets my needs. With the wealth of experience here, figured I'd pose my requirements and see if ya'll have any additional input.

I am looking for an ebook with a small form factor (5") that can be carried in a cargo pocket in my ACU's (military trousers).

I need, and absolutely demand, the best possible PDF ability I can get. Reason: I want to download and carry all applicable FM's, TM's, AR's that I can get my grubby hands on. For those that are prior service, real world testing would be appreciated!

Relatively Inexpensive. While I have no problem paying for quality, $400 is beyond my need/price point...so something under $250 would be nice.

Doing my own research, I found the SONY 300 and the BeBook mini both closely met my needs, then I found differing opinions on whether the Sony offers PDF support.

So, narrowed it to the BeBook mini. Any real world experience to help me with my decision, specifically that may want to try, or have tried this device with Army publications? I appreciate your time and consideration.

Last edited by sromain; 12-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.
sromain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a third suggestion: the Aluratek Libre. It's very sturdy (I've dropped mine repeatedly), and with the new firmware it has just as good PDF support as the other two.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
BTW: The Astak Pocket Pro is the same device as the BeBook mini yet it is sold and supported by a US company. So, you may want to go that way.

Personally, I would go with the Sony over the BeBook/Astak. The Sony certainly support ePub.

There is also the Opus which is another 5inch device and the Pocketbook 360.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
sromain

thanks for both of your suggestions....the Aluratek Libre looks intriguing.

That being said, would like to hold out and see if anyone has actually found the Army pub's to be readable on the small 5" format.

I'm in Iraq, so between shipping times and the thought of having to return it...I'd hate to jump to a decision quickly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sromain View Post
That being said, would like to hold out and see if anyone has actually found the Army pub's to be readable on the small 5" format.
Are the document publicly avilable? If so, you could post them here and I bet someone would be willing to do a screen shot of it for you.

What do these PDFs contain? Are they mostly text or are they very layout specific with stuff like tables/charts/graphics?

BOb
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have a third suggestion: the Aluratek Libre. It's very sturdy (I've dropped mine repeatedly), and with the new firmware it has just as good PDF support as the other two.
Aluratek Libre even looks like a piece of military gear - kind of reminds me of a stealth fighter all black and angular
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Isn't this the same as the Jetbook, at least hardware wise?

BOb
Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't this the same as the Jetbook, at least hardware wise?

BOb
hardware, yes
software, no
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
sromain

http://www.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/Active_FM.html

Have fun! Curious as to what you find. As far as the question of: text vs. illustrations. I would say that many of the pubs are primarily text, though that is not always the case.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
sromain

Want to add...SD card is mandatory. Im an NCO...and want a ton of info at my fingertips readily available!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Field Manuals Online

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...olicy/army/fm/

many are in HTML which would probably read better on the small screen if you could yank them down off the site somehow
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Have fun! Curious as to what you find. As far as the question of: text vs. illustrations. I would say that many of the pubs are primarily text, though that is not always the case.
Ok... now you need a kind soul to help you. Or you might want to post a request in the forum for each device and ask.

I would do it for you but I don't have either of these devices.

BOb
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

Looks like you need a military ID to download them? It pops up asking for an AKO username and password.

That seems odd, because US Military publications should all be in the public domain. If you think it's legal, can you share one or two of the documents?

(Also, Firefox insists it doesn't have a valid security certificate, which makes me giggle like crazy.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
sromain

oops...that site may ask for it. And you right, none of those pubs require a security clearance.

hmmm...probably should just google, say, FM 20-21 PDF and see what happens

EDIT: http://www.hooah4health.com/4you/FM2021-20.pdf
Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Okay, quick details on the PDF (which probably mean nothing to sromain, but will help other people give advice):
  • Letter sized pages
  • 300dpi scans mixed with text-and-graphics pages
  • Tables & graphs are all images. Sometimes multiple images.
  • Shaded textboxes are also images.
  • Image pages were OCR'd by something decent
  • No metadata
  • Pages of different types of formatting--mostly 3 columns, 2 main and a sidebar. Some pages are 1/2 image, 1/2 text. Wouldn't be easy to crop.
  • Tagged.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote