Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
hotkiwi
hotkiwi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Problem with Sony ebook library

I am new to this forum and unsure if this is the right place to ask. I have a problem with Sony's ebook library software. i find the program rather clumsy and difficult interacting with Adobe's DRM program.
My question is: everytime I buy anew book and want to sync my reader, all books are once more copied to the readers SD card (the internal memory was full after 120 books...). So on my SD card there are many copies of the books. I then started deleting those that were double, keeping only one copy in the library on the reader, but then that emptied my categories......

Helkp please, what am I doing wrong. or shall I switch to Calibre and forget the Sony program alltogether??

Thanks

Johan
hotkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you tried turning the sync off and just manually transferring the books (drop and drag into the Reader)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I too am a new Sony user -- it took me about one day to decide to switch to Calibre, because inconsistent metadata was driving me crazy. Also, I somehow managed to crash the reader and only the instructions in the troubleshooting forum here saved me (thanks!).

I only use the Sony software when I want to buy books from Sony -- which I sometimes do for convenience of format or because they have the best price.

But I use Calibre -- which is extremely user-friendly -- to actually manage my 505; I just find it way easier.

The only glitch is that it does not pre-paginate the file for you, so that when you first open a book on the reader, if you loaded it using Calibre, the reader will take a minute or three, depending on the size of the file, to paginate the book. It also does this if you change font size in the display -- I usually want large because of vision problems. But only the first time you open it or change sizes; after that, you're good to go ...
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
hotkiwi

Thanks !!
The only issue I had with Calibre is the import of the covers and that it seems impossible to create collections, but with reading on this forum I am sure that will work out fine too !
thanks
Johan
New Zealand
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
You create collections in Calibre by editing the tags. Each tag forms a collection, so if you have something tagged, for example, "Science Fiction, Romance" the book will appear in both the Science Fiction folder and the Romance folder.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
hotkiwi

Yes, I noticed the tags should become the collections. But it did not happen....
Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Ditto all of the above. tried Elibrary for a couple of days. Calibre is just better. Way Way way better.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkiwi View Post
Yes, I noticed the tags should become the collections. But it did not happen....
If you've been using the Sony library to load them onto the reader after creating tags in Calibre, the tags will not become collections. You'll need to delete them from the device and reload them using Calibre only.

Like most people, I only use the Sony software for downloading from the Sony store (and only the freebies - I won't buy anything .lrx because it's too limiting) and use Calibre for everything else. It just works better, and they're improving it all the time.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #9
hotkiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Like most people, I only use the Sony software for downloading from the Sony store (and only the freebies -
Thanks guys for your support. Regretfully outside the US and canada Sony has no sites and access to US and canada sites is denied. But apparently I am not missing too much...

Johan