Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
justbobf
justbobf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to properly format links so they validate and work, too?

I created a book in Adobe InDesign and exported it as an ePub.

I opened the ePub with Springy. (BTW, I'm on a Mac.) Each chapter was exported as a separate .xhtml file in the ePub. I had created a separate chapter for the Table of Content. I opened that file, which is the name-of-the-book-5.xhtml and I manually added links to the chapter names. The links looked like this:

<a href="name-of-the-book-1.xhtml">Chapter number</a>

This ePub validates with epubcheck-1.0.5. Trouble is, when put on the iPod, the links do not work.

So I added ../ to the links to make the iPod look in another file. The links now looks like this:

<a href="../name-of-the-book-1.xhtml">Chapter number</a>

Loaded this onto the iPod. Bingo! Links work. Trouble is, now the file does not pass the validation test.

Ideas?
justbobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
hkdorama
hkdorama began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony Reader, Kindle 2
Quote:
<a href="name-of-the-book-1.xhtml">Chapter number</a>
Have you tried opening the file in Safari to see whether the link works there?
hkdorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
justbobf

Excellent suggestion!

Yes, the file with the traditional internet links, without the "../", and the one that validates does link properly. The file with the "../" added does not.

But! the first time I tried this Safari reported that I did not have "permissions" to view the page.

I went back to the Finder and re-set Permissions so that I could Read & Write to all the files in the ePub. Then, the linked page would load.

So, could it be that the file permissions are being carried over to the iPod Touch? That might prevent the link from opening then, just as Safari would not open the link. Or, do permissions get dropped if the file is transferred to another computer? If I need to set permissions here, any idea what they would be? I can guess what the permissions would be, but what would the name be? "everyone", "system", "staff"? Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
hkdorama
hkdorama began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony Reader, Kindle 2
Could it be you took some files and then adjusted them for your book? Maybe somebody else's permissions were carried over with the files. Usually you do not have to deal with the permissions at all. The normal ones would be read and write for you and read only for others...
hkdorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What is the directory structure inside the ePUB? Do you have a <base> tag or similar? Can we see a full (non-)working example?

It should work if you have a structure like this:

Code:
mimetype
META-INF
  container.xml
OEBPS
  content.opf
  TableOfContents.xhtml
  Chapter-1.xhtml
  Chapter-2.xhtml
and, inside "TableOfContents.xhtml" there's a link like:

Code:
<a href="Chapter-1.xhtml">Chapter One</a>
that's because "TableOfContents.xhtml" and "Chapter-1.xhtml" are in the same directory. By the way, "TableOfContents.xhtml" is included in the OPF file, right?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
justbobf

Hello everyone.

Thank you all for your help.

Yes, the traditional links do work:

<a href="Chapter-1.xhtml">Chapter One</a>

I do not need the "../" in the link. Don't know what happened before. Maybe it is because I transferred the file to another user on my computer before loading it onto my iPod Touch. I don't have that iPod right now, so I cannot confirm that that is a problem; but, the epub does work as expected on a friend's iPhone and it does validate as expected with epubcheck-1.0.5.

So, I don't know what went wrong before, but all is fine, now. Thank you all, again. Your responses told me what to look for when trouble-shooting the files.

Oh! BTW, I opened Winnie-The-Pooh and found all permissions were set as
everyone: no access. If I edit a file by extracting it with Springy, I have to set it to
everyone: Read & Write
or else Springy won't let me overwrite the old file when I replace it with the new one, for what that is worth.

Tags
validation epub links