Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
sogeking90
sogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
OpenDyslexic is not a "wacky" novelty font. It actually helps people with the learning disability dyslexia read better. If you don't have dyslexia, you are not the target audience, although some people without dyslexia do enjoy it.

For more info: http://dyslexicfonts.com/
Yeah I don't understand the hate for this font. It was one of the reasons I choose to get the Kobo, rather than simply go from my Kindle Keyboard to a Paperwhite. It's a wonderful font for me, makes reading less of a chore.

Why do people say it looks like crap?
sogeking90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I can't understand is why anyone would include it in the limited number of factory fonts. It's like those odd fonts that make up most of the free font packages. The fonts no one in the possession of a moiety of their senses would use for more than a couple of words. Filler, at best. A decent monospaced font would have been a better choice. Courier Dark is my current choice for a monospaced font since it looks good on a eInk display but a factory version with the advanced settings would be nice.

Regards,
David
I have two friends who are dyslexic and whole they would agree with the other comment that the weight hasn't been modified enough for an eInk screen, it still makes reading significantly easier for them; far more so than any traditional monospaced font would. To just label it filler seems a little ignorant to me. I say kudos to Kobo for including it; it's made their device accessible for two people I know.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
OpenDyslexic is not a "wacky" novelty font. It actually helps people with the learning disability dyslexia read better. If you don't have dyslexia, you are not the target audience, although some people without dyslexia do enjoy it.

For more info: http://dyslexicfonts.com/
I wondered about that. Now I know for sure. I think its a kick ass feature as some people who have that disability do tend to shy away from reading, and thus are deprived of the joy of reading and seeing the many worlds of the imagination come to life.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I have two friends who are dyslexic and whole they would agree with the other comment that the weight hasn't been modified enough for an eInk screen, it still makes reading significantly easier for them; far more so than any traditional monospaced font would. To just label it filler seems a little ignorant to me. I say kudos to Kobo for including it; it's made their device accessible for two people I know.
But cant you adjust the weight in the current firmwares?

Jack
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Anyone try this yet?
I have tried it. And it seems that the books that show up on the home screen are now the books I have set, from the sd card as my current reads and where before for the the first few seconds, the books that showed on home screen were the ones loaded from the desktop then the sd card ones would replace them. I like the idea of the actual books I am reading being the ones that show up!

REgards

jack
Advert
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Jack
Of the Kobo-supplied ones, I think Open Dyslexic and Ryumin cannot be tuned.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Does 2.3.2 correct the 'return to improper position in text' after home screen bug?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogeking90 View Post
Why do people say it looks like crap?
I'm guessing that people say it looks like crap for two reasons:

1. It is unbalanced (there is too much weight on the bottom) which makes it harder for some people to read. The bottom-heavy bit is part of the point of the font since dyslexic people claim it is easier for them to read, so there isn't much that can be done about that.

2. It looks like a graphic font and a lot of people have a knee-jerk reaction against graphic fonts. I'm guessing that is because a lot of people find most graphic fonts harder to read, or think of it as style over substance.

If the font works for you, then use it. It doesn't work for some of us, so we don't use it. The wonderful thing about ereaders is that it gives us the choice.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

Jack
OpenDyslexic is not one of the fonts that shows with the advanced features allowing you to make adjustments. If it did, I wouldn't have the issues I have with it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
sogeking90
sogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipse

Yes adjusting the wieght would be good. It has made reading a lot more pleasant for me, but when the front light is on, it can look a bit faded. Georgia with full weight looks better with the light on, but OpenDyslexic benefits me more still.
sogeking90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
OpenDyslexic is not one of the fonts that shows with the advanced features allowing you to make adjustments. If it did, I wouldn't have the issues I have with it.

Regards,
David
Never used it but thought since it was supplied by Kobo it would fall under the same rules as the fonts they supply.

regards

Jack
Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
terragady
terragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura aboutterragady has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW1
Quote:
Does 2.3.2 correct the 'return to improper position in text' after home screen bug?
Anyone?
terragady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just sideloaded firmware 2.3.2 on my Glo, but the opens-at-wrong-page bug is still present :-(

Edit: Selecting "show on page" from a bookmark menu still goes to the wrong page too. (2-3 full pages before the page with the bookmark on, going by the page numbers at the bottom of the page.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-23-2012 at 10:40 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #29
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just sideloaded firmware 2.3.2 on my Glo, but the opens-at-wrong-page bug is still present :-(

Edit: Selecting "show on page" from a bookmark menu still goes to the wrong page too. (2-3 full pages before the page with the bookmark on, going by the page numbers at the bottom of the page.)
Try a pin hole reset
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
I'm still waiting to the 2.3.2 update and notice there haven't been any comments on it since the 24th - is it still being rolled out or has it been put on hold?
Anybody have any updates on it?
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote