Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The books are limited but there are a ton of free videos, like Downtown Abbey, Dr Who, Torchwood, Top Gear (some off my to watch list)

Not to mention the shipping. We joined when we had a baby and that speedy shipping is great.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I know. (I have Prime)

But, the Fire currently is more than $79. Say I sign up for Prime, pay the $79, get a Fire, and never renew my membership...is Amazon going to bill me for the difference?
In the spirit of disclosure, I too have Prime. I got it before library books, and videos. I got it for 2 day shipping and sending Christmas presents cheap back when the price was $49 or $59. I usually buy 75 to 90 items a year from Amazon.

That said, lets talk about a "free" Kindle.

There are a lot of reasons to have a free Kindle, but the main one is to drive the other eReaders out of business. Agreed, iPad will stay around as well as other multiple purpose tablets, but a free Kindle would put tremendous pressure on Nook and Sony eReaders, not to mention all the branded eReaders. It would sort of clear the playing field of all but the strongest.

It reminds me of the browser wars. Netscape was ahead, and then MS gave their browser away. I used Netscape. It had one great advantage over MS IE. It would print any page without worrying about formatting.

I think that a free, even if it was low level, Kindle would kill all but one of the other browsers. You might think Sony would fail, but they seem to have the money. I believe because of the finances B&N would fall to the side, as well as the branded and smaller devices.

Of course iPad and the multipurpose tablets would remain along with Kindle and again my bet is on Sony also surviving.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
I too have Prime which expires next month. I love it. I am Vegan so I get my coconut water, shampoo for blondes, freeze dried raspberries and Mighty Maple peanut butter all through the year and it is cheaper from Amazon than the stores here. I was going to renew but I might wait to see if they truly are going to offer the Fire with Prime. Even if they don't I probably will renew with the holidays and 8 family birthdays in Nov and Dec. I love coming home and seeing a package at my door. The bonus of a free Kindle .....sweet.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would hope that existing Prime members get a Fire as well. I don't see myself using it a ton, I love my iPad and I am not buying the same apps twice. I do think it could be a nice tool for my baby boy but he is still a bit young, 2 months.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I too have Prime which expires next month. I love it. I am Vegan so I get my coconut water, shampoo for blondes,..
Blondes have their own shampoo? That's my new nugget of knowledge for the day.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Blondes have their own shampoo?
Yeah; blond shampoo has simplified directions

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I would have done the label this way.

For a girl's beautiful blonde hair

1. Wait until rain storm.
2. Take off clothes.
3. Pour bottle over your head.
4. Lather thoroughly.
5. Step out into the storm.
6. Upon the lighting stroke, scream!
7. Boy friend will rush outside and pick you up.
8. Boy friend will then rush you back inside.

After a while, boy friend will dry you both off.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #23
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
All I can say this discussion seems to be very USA-centered. I somehow do not see Europeans being given free Kindle of any sort. Fire is not even available here. And the market is not really Kindle-dominated, plus there are more languages and non English amazon ebook choice is not overwhelming.

But what do I know, I'm a blonde
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It is very US dominated because Prime is only available in the US.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #25
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know. But I noticed (and re-read to make sure) the first post which talks of free ereader form Kindle. The thread only later started discussing Prime etc. Never mind anyway, just my three eurocents.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Prime is available in the UK, but many of the benefits are missing.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I did not know that. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Fire is not even available here.
Yet.
In the wake of the Amazon Android App Store opening up to several european markets, it is likely that thursday Amazon will announce a european release date for the new FIRE(s).

That said, I doubt you'll ever see free ebook hardware in europe even if (unlikely as it seems) it does happen in the US.

Last I heard, free shipping and even discounted gift cards are illegal book selling promotions on that side of the pond. Giving a whole electronic device for free would seem to be an even bigger sin under that legal framework.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Prime is available in the UK, but many of the benefits are missing.
Same here in Germany, the only thing you get is free next day shipping.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Blondes have their own shampoo? That's my new nugget of knowledge for the day.
Of course they do...how can you accentuate your highlights.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote