Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 7 9.59%
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton 5 6.85%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 5 6.85%
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré 13 17.81%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 10 13.70%
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 11 15.07%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 7 9.59%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 8 10.96%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
How do you see who voted for what?

This was not an easy decision for me as there were 3 entries I was trying to choose between, and the one I chose caused a 5 way tie.
There is a "View Poll Results" option on the bottom right corner, under the poll, before you vote.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-20-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

This was not an easy decision for me as there were 3 entries I was trying to choose between, and the one I chose caused a 5 way tie.
After you vote, just click on one of the vote totals for any selection in the poll and you'll see who voted for each nominee.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

What Nyssa and issybird said.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In case it wins, does anyone know where I can get a Kindle friendly version of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold? It is not yet available on Amazon - there is a pre-order for the 18th of January which doesn't really leave a lot of time to read it before the discussion starts.

Edit: It is not available here in the US, in paper either, until that date, according to Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-20-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #20
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quite a race after one day!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
In case it wins, does anyone know where I can get a Kindle friendly version of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold? It is not yet available on Amazon - there is a pre-order for the 18th of January which doesn't really leave a lot of time to read it before the discussion starts.

Edit: It is not available here in the US, in paper either, until that date, according to Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
While it's available for Nook, I'm not paying $10 for it. So if it wins, I'm out for this one. LOL
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
While it's available for Nook, I'm not paying $10 for it. So if it wins, I'm out for this one. LOL
The Nook is showing as a pre-order as well, at least for me. But I get your point.

I've challenged myself to read every Book Club selection, so paying $10.00 for this would mean my not getting one or two of the Dresden Files books to continue my collection, until a later date. They are also $9.99 each.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Ah, okay, I'm one of those that refuse to pay more than PBook price for an eBook unless I "REALLY" want to read it.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #24
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
In case it wins, does anyone know where I can get a Kindle friendly version of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold?
I know we prefer e-books here, but there's a veritable mountain of John Le Carré paperbacks in the used books market. Decent copies can be had for the shipping fee plus a price of 1 pence to 1 dollar.

P.S. - The vote is quite a horse race.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I know we prefer e-books here, but there's a veritable mountain of John Le Carré paperbacks in the used books market. Decent copies can be had for the shipping fee plus a price of 1 pence to 1 dollar.
Really? Then I wonder why the print version says "Pre-Order" as well on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #26
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nyssa, try abebooks. I've been happy ordering through them.

Not much selection through Amazon's sellers, but there's some:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0141002689/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HYBT4U/

edit: But then, I don't want The Spy Who Came in from the Cold to win, so... You're absolutely right. It's unavailable. The only option is old, tattered used paperbacks at ridiculous prices. Seriously, though: The only e-book option I see is the Amazon UK store, for 5.49 pounds. States-side, it's pre-order for a January release.

edit #2: The Inkmesh link at the start of this thread leads to a 5.49 pound ePub from WHSmith, but it's wrapped in Adobe DRM. Does that mean you must install Adobe's Digital Edition (?) software to purchase it?

Last edited by Kevin8or; 12-21-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Nyssa, try abebooks. I've been happy ordering through them.

Not much selection through Amazon's sellers, but there's some:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0141002689/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HYBT4U/

edit: But then, I don't want The Spy Who Came in from the Cold to win, so... You're absolutely right. It's unavailable. The only option is old, tattered used paperbacks at ridiculous prices.
Thank you! Much karma to you. I never think to look at the individual sellers. Did you see that one trying to sell a copy for $128!!

I don't want it to win either, but its currently in the lead, unfortunately.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, it appears the bookclub is going to save me $10.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #29
Kevin8or
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well, it appears the bookclub is going to save me $10.
LOL, me too. The only two books I've read are the top two vote candidates.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So having at least once read all but three of these, I had to go with the one that, though I would not have sought out on my own, I would be willing to read for this book club.

I actually read (actually reread) Black Rain when it came in second and read A Spy Who Came in from the Cold when it came in second as well. When I read the latter I did to really feel the need to own a copy and anyway I had heard that there were these places called “public libraries.” In fact I discovered that there was such an institution even in my very small town way up in the Wisconsin north woods. So I went over to this library. What an amazing place. I just walked right in, no one hindered or questioned me, and had no trouble finding A Spy Who Came in from the Cold amongst literally thousands of books arranged on shelves. It turns out that the staff at the library thoughtfully keeps fiction titles sorted according to the author's last name. So I just reached up and took the book and stopped by the desk at the library entrance where it did not take as much as a minute for the librarian there to check to book out for temporary loan to me. Astounding!

Tags
book club, january 2011, vote