Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
Help in choosing my first ebook reader please?

Hi
I havent bought my ebook reader yet, my partner is buying it for me as a Christmas gift.

I was thinking of getting the Amazon Kindle but have changed my mind.
I don't know too much about them and I am definately not a technical person.

I was told I would be limited in the number of ebooks I can download free with the Kindle because they have a specific format.

I like the look of the Sony Touch PRS650, I especially like this reader because it has a function on it that gives you the definition of a word, this appeals to me a lot.

I would like to download ebooks off different sites on the internet , would this Sony be the correct one do you think?

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated xxx Isis xxx
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am not an expert but the Kindle canNOT download and use books in the epub format which tends to be the one used by Public Libraries and therefore, books that tend to be free. So check your library and see what selections are available. There are ways around it so the Kindle can read those books but it does require breaking drm (copy protection) schemes.

Amazon does have a huge selection and sometimes offers books for free. In addition, there are free public domain books on which the copyright has expired. Check the library on this site for free books available in the kindle format.

I recently got the kindle 3 and it is a fine reader and I went for the $139 one - which I think was a terrific price. But that sony has a touch screen control which some folks like.

More opinions will certainly follow.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You might want to visit the "which one should I buy?" section down in the device forums. There are a lot of people there advocating vigorously for their favorite readers, and they can probably give you a great deal of confusion, er, I mean information. One of those two, anyway.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
My first reader is the Kindle and i couldn't be happier, but i totally agree with Worldwalker , read the advice from the other users on their particular device too.

Good luck with your decision.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
It's a good time to get a sony since they have a nice promotion now, making its price comparable to kindle wifi.

Sony has a really nice dictionary function but kindle also has a dictionary. And conversion of file formats is really easy with Calibre.

On the other hand, you might want to consider how you like to hold the reader. The sony design looks better but in reality, i find it harder to hold in one hand while trying to flip the page with that hand only. It all depends on personal preference.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post
Hi
I havent bought my ebook reader yet, my partner is buying it for me as a Christmas gift.

I was thinking of getting the Amazon Kindle but have changed my mind.
I don't know too much about them and I am definately not a technical person.

I was told I would be limited in the number of ebooks I can download free with the Kindle because they have a specific format.

I like the look of the Sony Touch PRS650, I especially like this reader because it has a function on it that gives you the definition of a word, this appeals to me a lot.

I would like to download ebooks off different sites on the internet , would this Sony be the correct one do you think?

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated xxx Isis xxx
Go with Sony. You will love it
Good luck!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Welcome, Isis. Hope you enjoy being here.

One thing I just wrote in another thread is to focus on what you are buying an e-reader for. You're not buying it to keep your diary. You have a laptop for that. You're not buying it to play games. You've got a playstation for that, and who's going to play games on a machine with 400 books on it? You're not going to use it for note-taking with a crappy keyboard not much bigger than a cellphone. You're getting it to read e-books.

And I agree with those who criticise the Kindle for not supporting epub. As far as there is a standard, it is epub. Library books are usually epub, freebies are usually epub. Indies are usually epub. And from other places than Amazon, main-line books are usually available as epub.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sony hardware is the tops and the Sony range is certainly more flexible.

Sony library software isn't up to much, but that's not a consideration. You're better off to do as so many do here and download the free Calibre library software to store and catalogue your books and even to easily convert them from one format to another.

There are many alternatives to the Kindle. It's all a matter of personal choice in deciding on a device that will do what you want it to.

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
Hi
Thank you all for your wonderful , warm welcome.
I will read more and decide which one I want, though I do love the look of the Sony, and all I want it for is reading.
This is a really nice forum - thanks again xxx
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have a Aluratek Libra Pro and it can use epub format. I have downloaded from my local library and it works fine. Costs $100, but lets be clear about what you are giving up when you get the low price:

1) Kindle has a search function I do not
2) Kindle can be customized for you, mine can not
3) Kindle has a wireless option, I do not
4) kindle has a dictionary, I do not
5) Kindle can take notes, I can not.

For your requirements the Libra Pro will work great.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Sony does accept EPub but it requries that you side load all of your books and there have been some issues with borrowing books from the library, although it appears that those issues have been fixed for the 650 and 350 series.

If you want an EPub reader I would recommend the Nook. It has comes with WiFi and for a little more you can get the 3G version. It allows you to buy books from multiple stores, such as Kobo, and read them without having to tamper with DRM on the Nook. It is less expensive then the Sony.

Personally, I own two Kindles, the K1 and the DXG. I am probably going to buy a K3 in the near future. I love my Kindle. It is easy to use and Amazon's bookstore is the best buy far. There are plenty of free books available for Kindle. I pick up one or two everyday, just check out the Kindle Free books topic in the Kindle section. All of the websites that have the out of copyright books make them available for Kindle. The Kindle also has the best battery life of the e-readers with people reporting 3-4 weeks between charges when using the Wifi or 3G option infrequently. The one draw back is that you cannot borrow books from the library.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Sony does accept EPub but it requries that you side load all of your books and there have been some issues with borrowing books from the library, although it appears that those issues have been fixed for the 650 and 350 series.
By side load you mean you have to connect it to your computer via supplied USB cable?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I just got my first "hands on" look at the Sony 650 today. I would say go for it! I've got the 600 and I love it. The 650 is only that much cooler, thanks to the Pearl screen.

Assuming that you're in the US, you will have access to the US Sony store. There's plenty of moans about it (and the access software is a little bit cranky) but I've found an amazing number of books I wanted to get at reduced prices. You just have to wait out the initial release and just keep checking back at your wish list to jump when the price drops.

There's also Kobo, which has a different selection of books, and generally better prices than the Sony store - but not always!

Gutenberg has lots of their books available in ePub and all those are free. Same goes for Many Books. And don't forget about the large collection of epub titles here in the forum. Most libraries that lend out e-books have them in epub format.

The dictionary feature was an unexpected plus. It's really easy to use, but the one downside is that you don't seem to be able to add dictionaries (which I gather you can on the Kindles). I do make use of the dictionary on my Sony, but it would be really nice to be able to also have some language dico's (French-English and German-English). I think that's about my only "wished for" item with the Sony.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
By side load you mean you have to connect it to your computer via supplied USB cable?
Yup. I thought that is what sideloading meant. If I usedit improperly I apologize.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yup. I thought that is what sideloading meant. If I usedit improperly I apologize.
I have no idea whether it is the proper term or not, I am bloody foreigner I wanted a confirmation that I understood you correctly.

Now, the question is do you think it is a problem?
To base one's choice of ebook reader on wireless downloading is...not the best way to do it.
One doesn't need Wi-Fi or 3G to read books.
One doesn't need secondary LCD screen that Nook has, it is only a distraction from reading experience.
H/W keyboard is a big drawback of Kindle, a distracting part from reading experience too.
Being tied to one shop is not a good thing too....maybe?

On the other hand...I do believe that Amazon ebook shop is the best of the best. Both in pricing and variety. Easy of purchasing ebooks on Kindle is the best solution I have come across.

I would say that if connecting ebook reader to a computer intimidates the OP, then Kindle is the best ebook reader besides Sony. If OP doesn't mind sideloading and wants to read books from different ebook shops or ebooks obtained otherwise, then Sony is the best. Hardwarewise I cannot compare any other ebook reader to the latest PRS-650. It is the most pleasant ebook reader to hold in hands and read ebooks on.