Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #61
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Also cameras tend to be more sensitive to light changes than the eye.
Bingo... I wonder how much of it becomes apparent after taking pictures.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #62
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also wouldn't be concerned just because two people in this thread reported light bleed, and like BenG said, we don't know if it's only at full brightness or at dimmer levels. Even pre-release reviews said you could see light bleed at the highest levels.

B024 on a Wifi SO. Will be jailbreaking it / experimenting as soon as tools are available! I can't wait for the work-day to be over, so I can get home to my new device!
digimuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #63
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Like I said earlier, we don't know if the brightness level on those photos showing bright spots was turned all the way up or at levels you would actually use. I know it may not correspond to the kindle but on my late, unlamented nook Glowlight I rarely turned the light level above one-quarter and almost all the way down reading in bed.

Here's how I would characterize mine after having some more time with it: there's actually a sort of criss-cross hatch pattern starting at the bottom of the screen that can be seen (if you really look for it) for about a fifth of the way up the screen. The pattern is basically a variation between darker and brighter areas (natch), where it looks like there are patches of shadow alternating with bright spots. I remember seeing a description of the technology (it's probably on the Kindle sales page) that shows how the light diffusion changes as you move up the screen, and I'm guessing that's what we're seeing here.

Everyone's eyes are different, of course, but for me it first becomes visible at light setting 13, and becomes less visible starting at about setting 20 (out of 24). Once you hit 21 or so, the entire screen becomes as bright as the bright patches, and so it's no longer as noticeable.

I'm actually torn on whether or not it bothers me. I think other people will be the same, depending on how much they notice such things. I'm someone who, once I see a single dead pixel on a screen, will never be able to un-notice it, and so I suppose I'm pretty sensitive.

I'm going to wait to see if mine is particularly worse than others, and if so, then I'll swap it out. If it's pretty much the same, then I can live with it. As others have noted, it's not perfect, but it's still the best front-lighting tech on the market. Maybe such a thing simply CAN'T be perfected yet, and so this is just the best we'll get for now.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #64
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just unboxed mine. Even with the light off the screen has better contrast than my Kindle Touch. With the light on the screen truly does look white and while I can see the shadow mentioned above it is very faint so I don't think I'll notice it in actual use (time will tell I guess).

I like the idea of a cover view to compliment list view, but I hate the there are only three books on screen that way due to the recommendations at the bottom of the screen. List view looks pretty much the same as on previous devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

Top to bottom: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (light off), Kindle Paperwhite (light at top setting)

What I want to know is why on the PW is the word red- (with the dash) not on the 4th line?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #66
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
I'm actually torn on whether or not it bothers me. I think other people will be the same, depending on how much they notice such things. I'm someone who, once I see a single dead pixel on a screen, will never be able to un-notice it, and so I suppose I'm pretty sensitive.
I'm the opposite. Unless it actually interferes with reading, it will bother me at first but then I'll forget about it. Kind of like the first scratch on a new car.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #67
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Like I said earlier, we don't know if the brightness level on those photos showing bright spots was turned all the way up or at levels you would actually use. I know it may not correspond to the kindle but on my late, unlamented nook Glowlight I rarely turned the light level above one-quarter and almost all the way down reading in bed.

Look at the video from Verge which I posted earlier in this thread. It seemed to me that the light shadowing showed up worse when they used lower light settings, and almost went away when they used brighter light settings. But as you said, photography whether stills or video can be deceiving as cameras do not see the same way our eyes and brains see. Yep, eyes are just light sensors which the brain uses to interpret an image.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #68
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just unboxed mine. Even with the light off the screen has better contrast than my Kindle Touch. With the light on the screen truly does look white and while I can see the shadow mentioned above it is very faint so I don't think I'll notice it in actual use (time will tell I guess).

I like the idea of a cover view to compliment list view, but I hate the there are only three books on screen that way due to the recommendations at the bottom of the screen. List view looks pretty much the same as on previous devices.
When you turn the device on does the light come on by default? In other words, if you were to turn it on in a darkened room would the light be on by default?
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #69
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
When you turn the device on does the light come on by default? In other words, if you were to turn it on in a darkened room would the light be on by default?
When you push the power button, the light returns to whatever state it was in when it was put to sleep.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #70
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
If it doesn't, a hack will probably be provided to add that functionality in the near future. Perhaps with a timeout to restore it to its previously selected settings if not changed shortly after power on.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #71
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Amazon has the light on by default. If I have the light on when I turn the device "off" the light comes back on when I turn the device back on if I have the light off when the device is turned "off" it's of when I turn the device back on. If that makes sense.

EDIT: wynand says it better in their post above.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #72
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
image deleted....
Top to bottom: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (light off), Kindle Paperwhite (light at top setting)

What I want to know is why on the PW is the word red- (with the dash) not on the 4th line?
Multi-hyphenated words are really annoying. Other than German where they can string together a hundred letters without hyphens to create a compound word, which is even more annoying, such words are a nightmare to break/display in a book, whether digital or print. On a small screen I prefer breaking a multi-hyphenated word across two lines rather than pushing the whole annoying multi-hyphenated word onto the next line thereby truly breaking the visual flow. But lets be honest, how many occurences of these totally annoying multi-hyphenated words do we see in the average book? Little to none, thankfully. Everyone will have their own preference to line breaks dealing with them, so this is really a non-issue just like line spacing.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #73
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
When you push the power button, the light returns to whatever state it was in when it was put to sleep.
So it looks like a hack will be needed, to FIND the light adjustment if you power it on in a dark room when it was off.

We need a hack to turn it on at each power up long enough so you can find the adjustment... Perhaps after complaints from users, amazon may even add that to a future firmware update.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #74
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Is this new screen using a glass substrate or a plastic substrate?
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #75
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
wynand32 and AnemicOak - Thanks for the information. It's not as I had hoped but not as bad as it could be. Sounds like keeping the light on at a low level all the time might work for me so I can turn it on in a dark room and use the light.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote