Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
Plus the Que is going to blow them all away.
Not sure what's with the QUE hype. Is a glossy black case all it takes to make an ebook reader a success? We still don't know anything about the battery, the display contrast due to touch screen, removable media support, interface, etc. It's running WindowsCE so it'll be one of the few readers where there is a licensing cost for the operating system. And of course not everyone wants such a large size reader. I am interested in the supposed more durable plastic backplane, but it's too early to say that the device overall is more durable. And maybe they'll use the same 'business market' justification that IREX used for the DR1000 and price it at $900+. And for those interested in making hand written annotations, I'm not sure if the finger can replace the pen, unless you just like making big circles or writing really large letters. Depending on the touch technology, a pen can be used, but care may be needed to ensure that your hand resting on the display won't interfere with the pen.

Speaking of delays and promises, IREX had mentioned an upcoming 2010 (Q3?) device with finger-touch screen. From this awesome primer on current e-paper technologies, I believe that mysterious reader will be using a new touch technology incorporated into new PVI (future owners of e-ink) displays:

Quote:
In addition, in 2008, it added touch screen technology from F-Origin, a force-sensing touch technology supplier. (PVI has a 20% ownership in the F-Origin.) Traditional touch-screen technologies add a layer on the surface of the device, which can diminish the reflective qualities of the display.
Warning, reading the e-paper primer may make you even less likely to buy an e-paper reader now!
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
the QUE

The problem I have with the Que is the same problem I have with the DR1000 and the Kindle DX - it's just too damn big! I use my reader for many purposes - reading briefs, reading law reviews, and reading case law, but also for recreational reading and reading newspapers and periodicals. The DR800 should be excellent for all of these tasks. And with the ability to connect with B&N to purchase books in epub format, and (I hope) the ability to loan books (like the Nook), the DR800 will be the one for me. I also hope, when it is finally released, that I can take notes as I can on my Iliad (which I love!).
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
jboardman
Zealot

new release date

I just received confirmation from Irex that the DR800 would be available at Best Buy by the middle of December. I hope they get it to market before Christmas!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #19
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I can't say that I'm surprised with the delay. I don't believe they've ever hit a date commitment! The really challenging piece for them is missing the "Black Friday" window. For the non-U.S. folks on the board that is the day after Thanksgiving and is the biggest retail day of the year in the U.S. Not having the device in the stores at that time will cost them significant holiday period sales.

I still like what I see in the DR800SG, but I continue to be amazed at how poorly iRex functions as a business.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #20
jboardman
Zealot

Need it before Christmas

I'm afraid that if IREX misses the Christmas selling season, people are just going to wait until next year (only one month away) to see what shakes out in the e-reader market. There are lots of rumors and "sort of" pictures and new technology out there, and there will be many choices to come early in January.
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
I'm afraid that if IREX misses the Christmas selling season, people are just going to wait until next year (only one month away) to see what shakes out in the e-reader market. There are lots of rumors and "sort of" pictures and new technology out there, and there will be many choices to come early in January.
The one thing that might help them is that several other new readers are struggling to meet the Christmas selling season as well. There has been speculation on several other threads that it's a screen shortage from the single manufacturer that is effecting the DR800, Nook, and Sony Reader (all of which are having delays).

Edit: Add the Txtr to that list as well, apparently.

Last edited by Shaggy; 12-01-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
concord
concord began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S, DR800S
I think IREX and Nook and several other reader with 3G have the same problem: FCC
This one shows Nook correspondence with FCC for their SAR problem. http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12553...g=col1;tbTools
concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Any updated release news? We're now pushing mid-December and I haven't seen anything. I think that was the last date someone mentioned as coming from irex. Definitely looking like this will not be around until after the holidays.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
jboardman
Zealot

I hope you are right, Shag. I so much want to believe in Irex and their products. As you know I have owned an Iliad 2nd edition for more than a year, and I love it. My only disappointment was Irex's early abandonment of product support. It looks like they are getting their act together in that respect... BUT, if Sony or some of the other larger screened devices come out first, I'm afraid Irex might miss sales big time! And why NO WORD at all from IRex?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Any updated release news? We're now pushing mid-December and I haven't seen anything. I think that was the last date someone mentioned as coming from irex. Definitely looking like this will not be around until after the holidays.
Nada, zilch, nil. Nothing from their previously active twitter account since November, either.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #26
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
seems they want to make it a perfect product
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #27
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
That's all well and good, we can all say hooray to a perfect product...but how does that preclude them giving updates on anticipated availability? I'd rather hear 'delayed again' than just the chirping crickets we're hearing now.

I have never owned an irex product but I'm very interested in this one. My interest is turning into concern now, and if the company is this poor at communicating with their customers, I'm not so sure I want to buy from them after all.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
That's all well and good, we can all say hooray to a perfect product...but how does that preclude them giving updates on anticipated availability? I'd rather hear 'delayed again' than just the chirping crickets we're hearing now.

I have never owned an irex product but I'm very interested in this one. My interest is turning into concern now, and if the company is this poor at communicating with their customers, I'm not so sure I want to buy from them after all.
After having owned the iLiad and the larger device for a short period of time the way I would recommend approaching an iRex purchase is to ignore any reference to future enhancements. If it doesn't have the features you want either choose another device or wait until they have added the features. They have a poor record of delivering on commitments, although in their defense they have gotten much better than when they first launched the iLiad.

As much as the company frustrates me with their poor service, I still like this device due to the 8 inch screen size. I think it's the ideal size when wrapped in a minimal package like they've accomplished with the 800 device. Newspaper direct support, epub and their general open approach are great added benefits, but it remains to be seen what level of commitment they will have to future development or how refined the current software is.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
After having owned the iLiad and the larger device for a short period of time the way I would recommend approaching an iRex purchase is to ignore any reference to future enhancements. If it doesn't have the features you want either choose another device or wait until they have added the features. They have a poor record of delivering on commitments, although in their defense they have gotten much better than when they first launched the iLiad.

As much as the company frustrates me with their poor service, I still like this device due to the 8 inch screen size. I think it's the ideal size when wrapped in a minimal package like they've accomplished with the 800 device. Newspaper direct support, epub and their general open approach are great added benefits, but it remains to be seen what level of commitment they will have to future development or how refined the current software is.
What he said!

I personally won't buy from iRex again unless they deliver a product that has the features that I want, that no one else offers, in a package and form factor that no one else offers. And before I will ever buy from them again, I will scour the internet for reviews and forum postings on how well they deliver on their promise. Had I found and read all the postings of disappointed DR1000 early adopters I would never have bought it when I did.

The biggest thing with iRex that seems consistent from model to model to model is that they haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to batteries and power saving. The DR would have irked a lot of people, but fared a lot better IF they'd issued it with a user replaceable battery. People would have stocked up on relatively inexpensive spares and battled on.

Last edited by omro; 12-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #30
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
What he said!

The biggest thing with iRex that seems consisted from model to model to model is that they haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to batteries and power saving. The DR would have irked a lot of people, but fared a lot better IF they'd issued it with a user replaceable battery. People would have stocked up on relatively inexpensive spares and battled on.
This is one reason I am interested in the 800. For the first time, an irex reader will use standard USB to charge...which means that in an emergency (like in a plane halfway over the atlantic) if the reader battery goes dead, I can use one of the USB battery rechargers I carry around for my other gadgets.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote