Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #481
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokowa View Post
The annotated pdf can not be flattened on the dvice, the annotations can only be saved as a entry in workspace. I didnt find any option to export as a sigle flattened pdf. For page turns, its about 15s for ten pages, but varies much for different pdfs. In some rare case, e.g. i have a 3000 page pdf, i takes 7s to turn a page, but it is much faster after the bookmark is removed, about 1s pageturn time. The annotations does not affect the page turn time much, i can not feel the difference. It seems to me that generally the bottleneck is the refresh rate of the screen.
There was "save as new" button next to "save workspace" button, presumably for saving annotated page as separate pdf.

from 5:40 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcL1nz9-ME

In that case it means that we should save every single page as separate pdf and then transfer all of them to PC and join there together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Forgive an ignoramus, but what is "flatten an annotated PDF"?
Incorporating handwritten scribbles, highlights and annotations into pdf, so that they become integral part of pdf and can be seen on any e-reader or computer regardless of the application used.

Last edited by markom; 02-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #482
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post

Incorporating handwritten scribbles, highlights and annotations into pdf, so that they become integral part of pdf that can be seen on any e-reader or computer regardless of the application used.
So when I do highlights, scribble and doodle in Adobe Reader and then save the file I'm flattening it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #483
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
So when I do highlights, scribble and doodle in Adobe Reader and then save the file I'm flattening it?
No, after flattening you can not search your annotations, because they are embedded like pictures, not separate layers.

e.g. if I use Adobe or Foxit reader on iPad I can see all annotations on my PC in Adobe reader or Foxit etc. even without flattening, but if I use some other iOS pdf application there is no guarantee that I will see my annotations on PC without flattening e.g. I like Perfect Reader 2 free edition, but there is only flattening option for emailed pdf and I can not see its annotations without flattening, so if pdf is 100 MB it is not possible to quickly transfer it as flattened to PC over wire or wi-fi but over email only, and my current upload speed sucks big time.

Last edited by markom; 02-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #484
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: SONY PRS-T1 T3
Quote:
There was "save as new" button next to "save workspace" button, presumably for saving annotated page as separate pdf.

from 5:40 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcL1nz9-ME

In that case it means that we should save every single page as separate pdf and then transfer all of them to PC and join there together...
"Save as new" is actually save as a new entry in workspace, but not save as a seperate pdf file.
Yokowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #485
markom
Banned

Quote:
"Save as new" is actually save as a new entry in workspace, but not save as a seperate pdf file.
Bad news.

What about print screen then

For my Sony PRS T1 at least there is Sony Reader application that produces low-quality file after its very poor rasterization of pdf and drawings.

Last edited by markom; 02-24-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #486
Yokowa
Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Yokowa is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

How to print screen?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #487
markom
Banned

Quote:
How to print screen?
Regrettably just joking, because even Sony PRS allows for screenshots of web page or handwriting only.

So I guess till some hacker creates good exporting code or for taking screenshots, the best printscreen option for this 1000 $ device shall be scanner or camera

Last edited by markom; 02-24-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #488
coloraday
coloraday began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Yokowa, could you please check if the device keeps the PDF's bookmark hierarchy intact? I mean including those nested bookmarks (under another bookmark).
coloraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #489
Yokowa

The bookmark hierarchy is kept intact, but it is shown one level per screen, like the standard android settings menu.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #490
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
The material is probably worth a $80 (at best) and the software which runs on it is worth precisely $0.
Can you provide a link to a source for 13.3" eInk screens for $80, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #491
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you provide a link to a source for 13.3" eInk screens for $80, please?
I believe it is a lot higher than 80 $ at the moment and that is the reason why there will be no Onyx or any other 13.3 e-ink Mobius or 13.3 e-ink Fina reader under 1000 $ this year.

Let's hope for 11" e-ink Fina at about 500 $ by the end of 2014.

Last edited by markom; 02-25-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #492
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe it is a lot higher than 80 $ at the moment and that is the reason why there will be no Onyx or any other 13.3 e-ink under let's say 800 $ this year.
I think it's a heck of a lot higher, but, given that the previous poster claims that the sum total of the hardware costs are <$80, I'd appreciate a link to a site where a screen can be purchased for the stated price. Personally I suspect that such a screen would cost in excess of $500 today.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #493
markom
Banned

Quote:
I think it's a heck of a lot higher, but, given that the previous poster claims that the sum total of the hardware costs are <$80, I'd appreciate a link to a site where a screen can be purchased for the stated price. Personally I suspect that such a screen would cost in excess of $500 today.
It will be close to 80 $ but regrettably not before 2016, more likely 2017. because I don't believe that demand for 13.3" e-ink will be as high as we would like it to be with all those sophisticated 12" tablets around at the same time.

Last edited by markom; 02-25-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #494
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It will be 80 $ but regrettably not before 2016, more likely 2017. because I don't believe that demand for 13.3" e-ink will be as high as we would like.
Not in 2016, I predict. 9.7" screens have been around for something like 4 years now, and they still cost in excess of $200. A 13.3" screen has almost double the area of a 9.7" screen, and manufacturing yields will probably be considerably lower.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #495
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Not in 2016, I predict. 9.7" screens have been around for something like 4 years now, and they still cost in excess of $200. A 13.3" screen has almost double the area of a 9.7" screen, and manufacturing yields will probably be considerably lower.
Where do you get your data on screen prices? Kindle DXs are $199. Amazon could be selling them at a loss, but I doubt it. I suspect that the 9.7 inch screen costs less than $100 from a manufacturer. It in turn probably costs them less than $60 to make it.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote