Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Automatic Daily Comic Strip Download

I've setup my iLiad to automatically download a group of comic strips every morning at 8:00. This is a bit more of an advanced process, but it's really cool. I'm attaching some of the files necessary (scripts, gnu wget, etc) to do it.

There are a few assumptions to this tutorial.
  • You have basic linux terminal knowledge
  • You have the updated busybox with cron installed. The easiest way to do this is with my enhanced image. Let me know if you need me to post the busybox binary.
  • You have reflash ability (Working with system files, messy scripts, etc)
  • Your iLiad is connected to a wired network and setup to use dhcp
  • You've set your iLiad to the correct timezone

First, unzip Comics.zip to your books directory. Make sure Comics is capitalized.

Now, either open up mrxvt, or an ssh session.

We will need to make the folder that contains the crontab.

Code:
mkdir -p /var/spool/cron/crontabs
Then, we will need to add the following line to the end of /home/root/start.sh

Quote:
crond &
Now, we will edit the crontab to run the script every morning. I have mine set to run at 8:00am Monday through Friday. Here's a cron reference if you need to brush up and make changes.

Start the cron editor
Code:
crontab -e
Paste this into the crontab

Quote:
0 8 * * 1-6 /mnt/free/books/Comics/fetch.sh
You should be all set. Run fetch.sh to test.

The comics are being downloaded from http://high5.net/comic/ . The comics displayed and order is determined by a cookie. I've included a cookie that has a few that I like. If you wish to add more or change the order, you'll need to do the following.
  1. Visit http://high5.net/comic/
  2. Expand and order the comics as you like
  3. Copy your cookies.txt (~/.mozilla/firefox/profile/ on your linux pc if you use firefox) to /mnt/free/books/Comics/ on your iLiad

Windows IE users will need to use the export cookies function of their browser. Windows and Firefox should be in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile"

I also use FBReader to view the page after it's downloaded. It's a bit quicker and more stable than the internal html browser. You'll need to edit /mnt/settings/er_registry.txt to change the association for html.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comics1.png
Views:	905
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	4685   Click image for larger version

Name:	comics2.png
Views:	1058
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	4686  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Comics.zip (115.6 KB, 770 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

I know this is a bit involved, so would anyone be interested in a version where you manually initiate the download and don't have to mess with any of the internals?
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I don´t have any linux skills and i would appreciate a way to download this for the average Joe. As a side note i don´t have the reflash option, so i wouldn´t do it if there is any risk of bricking.

Thanks a lot
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
I am interested...
Just some application that does this... pretty please?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I'm working on scripting it now. Once I finish the automatic internet connection part, I'll release it.
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pretty cool idea! You might want to contact the online comics producers, and let them know about your SW! If I were an online comic producer, I'd want people to know how to do this.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I've released the manual version here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12666

It's up to whoever created that page (can't find a conact name), as to what comics are included. I'm not sure how/where they get them from. But it seems to be pretty comprehensive.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Hmm and how to install this? I read the first post with a lot of unix editing. I like this as a package like FBreader or the ipdf distribution.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

You can't simply install this version. You need to know a bit of Linux.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
DeGodefroi
Zealot

yeah saw the other that would be easier :-)
Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #11
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It's up to whoever created that page (can't find a conact name), as to what comics are included. I'm not sure how/where they get them from. But it seems to be pretty comprehensive.
Isn't it High5, who is a member here? I've seen Dutch on that page, and High5 is Dutch...? It seems to be a strange coincidence.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote