Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Can I buy a PRS T3 from the Canadian store? Are there any differences as far as dictionaries?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Can I buy a PRS T3 from the Canadian store? Are there any differences as far as dictionaries?
--MH
I'm thinking about that too, but in my experience with the PRS 650, and other brands, ebook readers often start to fail after a few months use, how can I have it replaced if it is bought in another country? And if the US Sony doesn't carry it, they might not even want to fix it ... sigh!
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I'm thinking about that too, but in my experience with the PRS 650, and other brands, ebook readers often start to fail after a few months use, how can I have it replaced if it is bought in another country? And if the US Sony doesn't carry it, they might not even want to fix it ... sigh!
I'd perhaps wait for a good sale to pay for the postage. My personal experience with Sony quality has been very good. My PRS-600 is still in use by a friend and the 350 was a demo model, and still functions perfectly, as does my T1 and I am not gentle with my readers.

Of course there are a few lemons I am sure, but it should not be that hard to get warranty service even if you have to send it to Sony Canada. I buy things from the states all the time

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I *might* order a T3 from Canada, if possible. Haven't decided yet. I'm not too concerned about warranty/repair work--my experience with Sony readers is that they are reliable. Still have a 505 that is functional that I purchased 6(?) years ago--battery life is the only problem. And I have a 650 that I use every day that I purchased 3 years ago. Also have a 350 that I purchased refurbished from Sony a couple years ago that gets quite a bit of use and abuse--carry it around in my purse every where I go.

I'm thinking about ordering the Kindle paperwhite 2 as well. I have some Amazon gift cards I can use. But, I'll wait to see what the reviews are for that.

If the Sony T3 had a built in front light, my decision would be a no-brainer.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #20
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I *might* order a T3 from Canada, if possible. Haven't decided yet. I'm not too concerned about warranty/repair work--my experience with Sony readers is that they are reliable. Still have a 505 that is functional that I purchased 6(?) years ago--battery life is the only problem. And I have a 650 that I use every day that I purchased 3 years ago. Also have a 350 that I purchased refurbished from Sony a couple years ago that gets quite a bit of use and abuse--carry it around in my purse every where I go.

I'm thinking about ordering the Kindle paperwhite 2 as well. I have some Amazon gift cards I can use. But, I'll wait to see what the reviews are for that.

If the Sony T3 had a built in front light, my decision would be a no-brainer.
Agreed; even with my recent Kobo additions (one from the Flea Market, the other I won) I would've asked Santa for a new Sony if it had a built-in light. I like the ease of checking out ebooks from my library on my T1 but not the light from the official lighted cover; it sometimes seem I spend more time adjusting the light than reading.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Agreed; even with my recent Kobo additions (one from the Flea Market, the other I won) I would've asked Santa for a new Sony if it had a built-in light. I like the ease of checking out ebooks from my library on my T1 but not the light from the official lighted cover; it sometimes seem I spend more time adjusting the light than reading.
I've used the lighted cover a lot reading on the balcony and I agree it isn't superb, but better than the Aura HD built in. I'm hoping that the T3 lighted cover is at least as adequate. Would be good enough for me with the smaller size.

Helen
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
The main problem is that T3 is less likely to be hacked and rooted.
Both boroda and rupor live in US.
I need AMR on T3 - then I will buy it.
Now I have four T2s and three T1s - all of them rooted and with AMR installed.
AMR makes T2 currently the best reader in the world, in my opinion.
And T3 will take its place if it gets AMR. But will it? Very unlikely
Without AMR I will have to pass, I'm afraid.

Helen,
If you use a clip-on light on Aura HD, it is also much much better than built-in
Demonstrated in darkness to friends with Ozeri Kandle Flex clipped on Aura HD - everybody agreed.
That's where Sony made the right (and morally right) decision even though not wise commercially.

Last edited by parkher; 09-27-2013 at 09:00 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #23
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
My first 650 worked perfectly for 6 months, then the power switch & reset combination (volume something) stopped working. I had it replaced with a refurbished one (fortunately I still had the warranty at the time). The replacement came with a defected screen, so I had to send it back again. The third one worked perfectly until now (~1.5 years). I guess it's a hit & miss thing. So I won't buy any ereader that doesn't have a warranty.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
Obviously, based on their apparently recent official announcement that Sony is truly abandoning the American market for e-readers, I have to eat some crow. (see my earlier statement in this thread about Sony and the T-3, and how they could not be abandoning the USA market.)

I am truly and deeply disappointed. I was going to buy a T-3 when they became available. Two years ago I bought T-1's for my children and their spouses.

It certainly appears that USA Sony reader fans have just been orphaned.
Being treated like this will certainly make me think long and hard in future before I buy any Sony product.

It is one thing to discontinue a product line; another thing altogether to sell it in the rest of the world and not offer it in the States.

I would think Sony could sell T-3's through their bookstore and not offer the PRS T-3 reader into the distribution chain. But I have to think Sony will be closing down the USA Sony bookstore in the very foreseeable future.

This is a very sad day for Sony e-reader fans.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I too was consindering the T3. I canceled my Paperwhite 2 order and am getting tired of all the little glitches I encounter using the Aura HD and I don't need a built in light (although I think it might have done better for them commercially had they included one).

The problem with importing one, from my research so far, is the only place I've found that has them and will ship to the US wants $180 for the basic device plus $15.37 to ship it. Not paying that. (as far as I can tell Sony Canada and BestBuy.ca will only ship to Canada)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard

I think someone will be shipping to the states eventually
As I said earlier, probably the price will get lower which would make up for postage.

Helen
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I've used the lighted cover a lot reading on the balcony and I agree it isn't superb, but better than the Aura HD built in. I'm hoping that the T3 lighted cover is at least as adequate. Would be good enough for me with the smaller size.

Helen
I'm the exact opposite, I find the AuraHD's light to be superior to the T1's lighted cover. I set the HD at 10% and I'm good to go for a long night's read without fussing to get the angle just right on the T1's flexible light "arm". I would also get frustrated by the light slowly dimming as the battery died and the spare ones I keep in my nightstand drawer just out of reach due to a cat or two keeping me pinned in place, lol, that of course won't be an issue with the new integrated light cover though. One thing I would've liked in a lighted cover would be if there were multiple light settings on it; I do like the M-Edge e-Luminator clip-on light I use on library books, it has three settings unlike the T1's lone setting.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
and am getting tired of all the little glitches I encounter using the Aura HD
Actually, Cool Reader on Aura HD solved all the problems for me.
Well, it still does not have dictionary support and does not switch to sleep mode (but soon will), and some improvements still could and will be done soon.
But already now it is very stable (I had not a single crash or freeze, never had to do a reset on Aura HD).
And the best thing - no more stupid shelves and slow Kobo book indexing.
And I can set all the margins precisely as I want them, the larger Aura's screen is no longer wasted (well, Metazoa's patch fixed that issue too)

As to T3,
there are two main issues:
- will it be rooted and AMR available? Probably not.
- recent pictures show that the T2 screen is substantially whiter compared to the screen of T3.
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=15)
What is going on, Sony?
T3 is not necessarily a step forward if you already own a T2. I love the whiteness and the contrast of T2 screen and the warmth and hue of its white color (exactly like of Aura HD), and I certainly don't want to "upgrade" to something worse.
I really did not expect that and kept saying I was going to switch to T3 if it became rooted. Now I'm no longer sure about that.

Last edited by parkher; 09-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard

@parkher

Not really a fan of clip on lights. Not a fan of frontlights. The Sony lighted cover(T1) is what I use when I must read in the dark. Could be better, but good enough.

I also don't care about rooting although I did root my PRS 600. Was amusing for an hour or so. Pretty sure I will get a T3 and sell the Aura HD, but I haven't actually seen a T3 yet. Them thar Sonys are not perfect, but better than good enough IMO and don't cause me any grief.

Helen
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
parkher
Evangelist

My sister has a couple of Sony covers with light. But I prefer a clip-on light because the Sony cover without light is more compact and not as heavy. Besides, my clip-on light is better than Sony's cover light, I think.

Aura HD is rapidly improving. It now has Cool Reader (but still no dictionary when using Cool Reader). And you can avoid that choking on added books indexing by using folders with names that begin with a dot, such as: .BOOKS - Kobo does not index such hidden folders.
However, no way to add buttons to it and T3 has buttons.

I suggest trying to find a suitable for rooting T2 instead of T3 - they are probably cheap now and still might be possible to find with 1.0.03 firmware.
There is nothing better than T2 with Cool Reader + dictionaries with disabled Sony indexing of books (for speed). Also on T2 it is possible to increase the screen_off_timeout so that most books can be opened on CR without additionally touching the screen or pressing buttons.

Last edited by parkher; 09-29-2013 at 10:23 PM.