Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #241
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Your firmware upgrade zip mentioning glo/mini/touch at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 1f9a65b3a56cff5a607cc4ccf534adfaa6333127

The firmware zip pushed to my kobo mini at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

has a sha1 hash of 6889967b39fd05ee694142f5a8280fdfba8139d3

Comparing the contents of both zips yield the following differences:

KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/nickel
KoboRoot/usr/local/Kobo/revinfo

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't blindly update any product without knowing for sure that the firmware fits the device exactly. In this particular case it does not.
Oddly, changing the kobo4 to kobo3 in the URL you posted downloads a firmware file which works on the old Touch but has similar differences in some of the files. The software version info under Device information shows version 2.40 with a different 10 digit number and the date has changed to 2013-Feb-14.

A few minutes of quick testing showed no visible differences. At this point, I loaded the feb13 firmware on my Glo and got the same result. The version number stayed at 2.4.0, the 10 digit number changed from 84fbb7111a to 34b1ceb91d and the date changed from 2013-Feb-12 to 2013-Feb-14.

Now comes the fun of speculating what changes were made between the two verions.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #242
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Great, more firmware version proliferation with no documentation or explanation.. I can't decide who annoys me more, Kobo or Amazon. It's like they are in competition to who can be the most unfriendly.

Edit: That was probably uncalled for on my part. Kobo devs have, at times, gone above and beyond in providing guidance on these forums, and I acknowledge that. But there is still lots that can be found irritating.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #243
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I have received reports that the 2.4.0 firmware package has been changed by Kobo.

This would account for the hash changes.

According to the reports, the change is in nickel, so if you open the packages and compare them, that's probably what you'll see.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #244
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Now comes the fun of speculating what changes were made between the two verions.
My guess is they fixed the 'updating through WiFi not finishing' problem.

And I was just about to change my Device phrase...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #245
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
My guess is they fixed the 'updating through WiFi not finishing' problem.
I can't see how. I thought that the hangs were at the end of the download phase. I don't think anything gets unpacked until the user OK the restart. Though maybe they found the bug and are rolling out a fix to make sure it doesn't happen on the next update.

I had a look at the files and the new Original Touch package is identical to the new Glo package. That means the fonts are the same. Plus the boot images are also the same. There is one other change that might be interesting. The old Original Touch package had some usb drivers that were built in 2011. This change means it has picked up the new versions of the drivers. These do work with the Original Touch as the beta process handles the packaging such that the same is used for all devices.

I have put the new firmware on my Glo with no issues. For my Original Touch, I am hesitant. I might just use the new KoboRoot.tgz until I have confirmation that the boot images set-up works OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #246
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The old Original Touch package had some usb drivers that were built in 2011. This change means it has picked up the new versions of the drivers. These do work with the Original Touch as the beta process handles the packaging such that the same is used for all devices.
I wonder how that was spotted ???
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #247
boh!
Nameless Being

Finally I have succeed to open the Touch and I want to make a copy of the internal microSD. I read to use winimage, but at work we have only mac
Which program could I use?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #248
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boh! View Post
Finally I have succeed to open the Touch and I want to make a copy of the internal microSD. I read to use winimage, but at work we have only mac
Which program could I use?
You use DiskUtility. It's in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Mount the µSD, and DiskImage will show it in the left hand bar. You select it, then go to the File Menu -> New -> DiskImage from "[name of µSD]"

P.S. *I* want a work place that uses only Macs!!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #249
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I had a look at the files and the new Original Touch package is identical to the new Glo package. That means the fonts are the same. Plus the boot images are also the same.
Maybe I am wrong, but this seems rather confusing. I would understand "new Original Touch package" as referring to .../kobo3/feb13/kobo-update-2.4.0.zip, and "new Glo package" to ".../kobo4/feb13/kobo-update-2.4.0.zip". But those two packages are of course quite different.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #250
boh!
Nameless Being

Done! I know DiskUtil but I didn't know if it make an exact image.
I take the 13Feb kobo4, the update went well
This evening I plug the Touch to a windows pc and post the hardware data in the other thread
Thanks again Mrs_Often
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #251
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boh! View Post
Done! I know DiskUtil but I didn't know if it make an exact image.
I take the 13Feb kobo4, the update went well
This evening I plug the Touch to a windows pc and post the hardware data in the other thread
Thanks again Mrs_Often
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #252
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but this seems rather confusing. I would understand "new Original Touch package" as referring to .../kobo3/feb13/kobo-update-2.4.0.zip, and "new Glo package" to ".../kobo4/feb13/kobo-update-2.4.0.zip". But those two packages are of course quite different.
Not when downloaded them. In fact, I did it a second time when I saw the size in case I made a mistake. But, I have just download it again and it was only 69MB in size. I have no idea if I messed up twice earlier, or Kobo replaced it as soon as I downloaded it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #253
murg
No Comment

Quote:
I can't see how. I thought that the hangs were at the end of the download phase. I don't think anything gets unpacked until the user OK the restart. Though maybe they found the bug and are rolling out a fix to make sure it doesn't happen on the next update.
Sadly, I'm starting to concur with you.

I guess I jumped to a conclusion, as the wifi freeze issue seems serious enough to cause a fix release. I guess not.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #254
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
2.40 update question

Could someone post what the release notes say for the 2.40 update?
I'm back on 2.1.4 on my Touch, after getting 2.3 through the kobo desktop, which was a disaster. If there's nothing significant that's new maybe I'll just stay with what works.
timss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #255
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Version 2.4.0 - 1/28/13 [still with the insane non ISO dates!]

Your ereader now has software version 2.4.0. With it,you can:
  1. Archive books to free up space on your eReader -- then download them again when you need them
  2. Delete books to remove them from your Library

SO, there's absolutely nothing useful in the notes. Nothing about bugfixes (which they definitely did - it no longer randomly changes to a miniscule font on chapter change - though strictly that was a 2.3.2 fix, but 2.3.2 never seems to have been released here). Also, it now correctly shows what chapter I'm reading when I go to the TOC - but annoyingly still doesn't use that chapter when I make an annotation.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote