Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
therobyouknow
therobyouknow began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Question How to use table of contents to start reading from chapter not sub section?

With the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey, what do I do with the Table Of Contents menu to start reading from the beginning of a chapter?

When the Table Of Contents is displayed, tapping on Chapter or section that contains further subsections will list those. But what if I want to start reading from the beginning of the chapter and not those sub sections? There is usually a substantial amount of text at the beginning of the chapter that I want to read first, that precedes those subsections.

So what do I press on the the Table Of Contents menu when it is listing the chapters/sections that have subsections. Tapping anywhere on an item in the menu for a chapter will cause the menu to display its subsections. There does not seem to be a way to open the chapter or section at the beginning.

Please advise.
therobyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I noticed the same problem, and, as far as I know, there is no solution.

I wrote a fix/update request to Bookeen about it, but I won't bet too much on the fact they will take the issue seriously.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
Hi,

I have not encountered this issue, but probably not browsed a document that was structured this way either. Could you point to such a document so we could see?
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Nevrose
Nevrose began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Same problem. An example of this can be found on the roleplaying epub "Night's Black Agent". When you have sub, and sub-sub, and sub-sub-sub sections, you cannot go to the begining of the original section with the menu. The interface forces you to choose the sub-sub-sub section to start reading. So you miss all introductory text coming from sub-sub section, sub section and section altogether.
Nevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Yes, that's exactly how I described the problem in my email to Bookeen.

@Fourvin: try this one: http://www.comenondetto.net/CND.epub (a gratis project that I did for a friend). If you open the TOC menu, try reaching the "COME NON DETTO" item: you should get to a "title page". Instead, you are forced to select one of the sub-items, which are the Chapter titles ("CAPITOLO UNO", "CAPITOLO DUE", and so on) and you are driven to the start of the relative chapter.

Last edited by AlPe; 09-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
therobyouknow
therobyouknow began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
@AiPe, I wrote to Bookeen as well, no response. Previous queries take them a long time to respond to, if at all.

Their main site, bookeen.com doesn't look like it has been updated for a long while. Though they seem happy to update their Facebook and Twitter regulary -- and both show activity today. I will post the question on these platforms and private message them. I suggest you all do the same to put pressure on them.

This is a glaring omission not being able to go to the beginning of a chapter to start reading it, if it has subsections.

@Nevrose - you also describe the problem well.

After having the Bookeen Odyssey for a several months, I can say my experience of it is OK. Three main issues with it:

1) Not being able to read the start of the chapter and being forced to skip introductory text to start at subsection (if one present). (What this post is about)

2) Sticky page turns: doesn't respond - then when try again, pages turn twice. Equivalent of pages stuck together I guess

3) Unstable USB connection, device self unmounts and remounts: not good if copying books over to it.

I confess I was drawn in by the "HSIS" High Speed Ink System but this wasn't really a serious technology as it appears to be hype from Cybook themselves. Google searches indicated no other places mentioning this, so it didn't appear to be a new version of the Pearl e-Ink screen. Cybook have apparently tweaked the display, overclocked it, with perhaps some unique features in the firmware to handle changes to the display, "deltas" being the technical term.

The ability to play audio from the headphone jack is useful, haven't tried it, great for language learning for example.

I would NOT recommend the Cybook Odyssey to anyone else, I would be suggest the Kobo reader. If fact I would have got this as it provides similar capabilities and I particularly like the storage expandability with microSD and not being locked into one DRM Ecosystem such as Amazon. If a DRM ecosystem is the only was to get some books then Adobe Digital Editions gives more choice of outlets, including Google Books.
therobyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Nevrose
Nevrose began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
@therobyouknow : about your problem number 3. if it is the same thing than me, this can easely be worked around. If you use Avira Antivir as an antivirus, it conflicts with the cybook odyssey and forces it to disconnect. Just stop your antivirus app when you connect your odyssey and it will work just fine. Note that it doesn't happen with sophos antivirus.

About your problem number 2 : I experience the same thing. I imagine it to be related with the touchscreen technology : maybe it perceives sometimes the event "mouse in" without the event "mouse out".
Nevrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If you have problem with USB contact bookeen for a change.

It's kind of a know issue with the odyssey.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter, navigation, odyssey, sections, table of contents