Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
how do i buy ebook from B&N outside US?

is there any way to buy ebooks from B&N if i'm outside the US? i reside in Singapore. if there is, how do i do it?
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
is there any way to buy ebooks from B&N if i'm outside the US? i reside in Singapore. if there is, how do i do it?
1. Register you B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will work, just google something. The billing address is not checked, so your non-US credit card will work fine.

2. Install an US VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50) on your PC.

3. To buy books using your PC first start the VPN. When the VPN is active go to the B&N website and buy your books/magazines/apps. Sync the library on your Nook to download the books to your Nook using Wifi.

4. If you have a NC or NT you can install the free Puffin browser app. This browser uses an US cloud, so within this browser you will have an US IP-address. If you go to the B&N website within this browser, you can buy books using your NC/NT.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

when i sync the library on my nook to download the books, do i have to have vpn on still?

and, what is NC and NT?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I think that B&N changed something some while back because I used to need a VPN to buy from them but don't any more now I found as long as the account has a US address then I have no problems. However back when I did use a VPN I only had it on during the purchase bit and not during the sync.
I believe NC, NT is probably Nook colour, Nook Touch
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

so for now as long as there is a US address, i do not need to use a vpn?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
so for now as long as there is a US address, i do not need to use a vpn?
Works for me, I use a US address and my aussie credit card no VPN
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Since geertm was talking about having a browser installed, I suspect the NT in this case means Nook Tablet, rather than Nook Touch. You'll see them both referred to as the NT and it can get kinda confusing at times.

Enjoy your Nook!
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

alright. thank you so much.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
when i sync the library on my nook to download the books, do i have to have vpn on still?

and, what is NC and NT?
You only need the VPN on your PC to buy books. Everything that is bought and in your B&N library can be downloaded anywhere in the word.

NC = Nook Color, NT = Nook Tablet (most people use NST now for Nook Simple Touch).

B&N's IP-address check seems to be not active now and then, but as far as I know you still need a VPN.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
nelson7lim
Connoisseur

the information was really helpful. forgive me for not knowing the terms. i got myself a nook a few years back and sold it as i didnt have much time to use it. but now, i am trying to get my hands on the NST with glowlight.

so to summarize, buying nook.
1) get an account with B&N, add in a US address, add credit card with US address
2) get a freight forwarder to ship it to me

to buy a ebook
1) install a vpn
2) open vpn, open browser, login, get the ebook the same way i got the nook

is there any place where there is a large number of ebooks i can download for free?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
is there any place where there is a large number of ebooks i can download for free?
May I suggest Project Gutenberg and the Baen Free Library.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
OR Mobile Reads which has an excellent library of well formatted free books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #13
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
the information was really helpful. forgive me for not knowing the terms. i got myself a nook a few years back and sold it as i didnt have much time to use it. but now, i am trying to get my hands on the NST with glowlight.

so to summarize, buying nook.
1) get an account with B&N, add in a US address, add credit card with US address
2) get a freight forwarder to ship it to me

to buy a ebook
1) install a vpn
2) open vpn, open browser, login, get the ebook the same way i got the nook

I'm in Singapore too, and I have never needed a VPN when "purchasing" free eBooks off B&N. I probably had to the first time, but never since.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote