Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Books in Parallel?
No, I read one book at a time. When I finish/give-up, I start another book. 55 33.74%
I mostly have 2-3 books going at a time. 75 46.01%
I often have 4-5 books going at a time. 29 17.79%
I frequently have 6+ books going at a time. 4 2.45%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #46
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
You can tell what you voted -- it's the option that is in italics to you.
cool, yup, it was 4-5.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #47
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I have 4-5 going at one time, though I think that that is low. Does it include audiobooks?

Lets count them:

Inherit the Stars (great story, horrid pacing and prose)
An e-book app on Go.
A Kindle book on Chess
The Emperor of all Maladies
The Bourne Supremacy (auiobook) (can I complain? The first (audio)book was sheer genius -- the second, not so much)

Plus I've started reading this online and I'm going to buy the Audible $7.95 book of the day (Watership Down) before the day is out as I've heard that it's just wonderful.

Yup -- I'm addicted.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #48
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I usually read one book at a time, in genre. But if I have different genres going, then it is multiple books for me.

Something about the differences make it easy to fit them into different compartments in my brain...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #49
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
..., while the technical stuff usually on the nook color, as it is most often a PDF.
Does the Nook Color render PDFs well enough to reasonably read them?

My Sony Reader does an awful job with PDFs and I thought all eReaders did.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #50
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I will usually have three books going at any given time: 1 on my ereader at home, 1 on my iPhone when I'm out on errands and have waiting time on my hands, and 1 audiobook while driving.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
I will usually have three books going at any given time: 1 on my ereader at home, 1 on my iPhone when I'm out on errands and have waiting time on my hands, and 1 audiobook while driving.
A question for all who do this: Out of curiosity, why do you leave your e-reader at home?

I am very happy that I have a purse that is big enough to hold my Kindle along with all of my other purse essentials. It is wonderful having my library with me wherever I go.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #52
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
A question for all who do this: Out of curiosity, why do you leave your e-reader at home?

I am very happy that I have a purse that is big enough to hold my Kindle along with all of my other purse essentials. It is wonderful having my library with me wherever I go.
I am a consultant and I commute in by subway once a week. I already have to carry my laptop and iphone, and I find it a pain to add the reader too. So I just read on my iphone on the subway. I do bring the reader to dr's appointments.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #53
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I am a consultant and I commute in by subway once a week. I already have to carry my laptop and iphone, and I find it a pain to add the reader too. So I just read on my iphone on the subway. I do bring the reader to dr's appointments.

eP
Understandable, especially if you're comfortable reading on your phone. I read on my iPhone before I had an e-reader, but I would not go back to it now unless I had to. Reading the forums on my phone is frustrating enough.

I take it the e-reader won't fir in the laptop bag?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #54
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I usually have 2-3 books going.
One is my "main read", a novel or something like that.
Usually I also have something non-fiction going at the same time, reading a part now and then.
And the third one is some sort of short stories/essays collection. Usually something pretty light. The heavier the main read read is, the lighter I try to keep my parallel reading.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #55
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
I take it the e-reader won't fir in the laptop bag?
Depends which bag I am carrying that day. I have one laptop bag (my favorite one) that barely fits my phone, wallet, keys, and glasses. It's more like a laptop sleeve with a shoulder strap. Even when I bring "the big bag" it's just too much stuff to carry around. I don't mind the iphone for reading in short bursts, although Instapaper frustrates me and I thinking of finding a different app (Read It Later, I guess).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #56
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:

I never carry a purse.

And for that matter, I very rarely carry a briefcase, backpack or my laptop. The reader won't fit in any pocket, and I'd be afraid of crushing the glass if it did. As wonderful as an eReader is, it's still not practical to take with me.

I have considered buying a smart phone that I could use as both a book reader and web browser on the go. I would love to have it. But even a smart phone is big enough to be a colossal bother.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #57
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are folks who cannot bring anything with a transmitor into their work place.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #58
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are folks who cannot bring anything with a transmitor into their work place.
I don't think I would have ever considered that.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #59
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You too huh? I can't have anything with a transistor. No electrical devices at all. But my ereader stays in the car so I can read during breaks.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #60
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
You too huh? I can't have anything with a transistor. No electrical devices at all.
Modern wristwatches have loads of transistors. Can you still buy a windup wristwatch?