Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Angry I went to get gas this morning…

I still can't believe what I'm seeing. After all these years we still have these new fangled gas pumps around. I figured those things were just going to be a fad. Who would want to give up those majestic old gas pumps of yesteryear?

I remember, and even long for, the day back when we had those old crank gas pumps—no computers there, let me tell you. They had a glass globe on the top where I could see the gas that was being delivered to my car; no wondering if they were robbing me blind. Heck, today I wonder what I'm even paying for. I mean, I never even see the gas, how do I know they're not just pumping air into my tank?

I even have to put my credit card in before it'll let me pump my gas. No digging out cash from my wallet and coins from my pocket. No change back from that kid that had more grease than ink on it. And that greasy kid used to pump it for me, I didn't even touch the pump and I smelled like gas. In fact, the smell, the very essence, of gas was everywhere. Now I pump my own gas. And I barely even smell like gas anymore with that new vapor capturing system. Plus, no greasy kid to scratch my paint job with his money changer or forget to put the gas cap back on.

Oh how I long for the good old days and those old crank gas pumps to fuel my ride.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
allllrighty then
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
..and another thing... git off my lawn!!

But seriously, I agree. Is there really no way to pay cash though? If that is true it's absolutely ridiculous, vote with your feet and go elsewhere.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
yes, you can pay cash but for the very few 24 hour unattended stations which are ususally pretty remotely located
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're feeling nostalgic, xianfox, type "gas pumps" into Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gas+pumps

There's a few links that might satisfy you right there on the first page.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You can pay with debit or credit cards.

You can choose to go into the little kiosk and pay the man with cash.

I remember with nostalgia being able to drive into a gas station, have the has pumped for me, the windows washed while it filled, and the oil being checked!! All this with a smile!
The bathrooms were clean.......'sigh.

Its faster now, true......but not as elegant.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can pay with debit or credit cards.

You can choose to go into the little kiosk and pay the man with cash.

I remember with nostalgia being able to drive into a gas station, have the has pumped for me, the windows washed while it filled, and the oil being checked!! All this with a smile!
The bathrooms were clean.......'sigh.

Its faster now, true......but not as elegant.
move to Oregon. you can't fill your tank there, it has to be pumped by a station attendant. I think I recall there is another state o.n the east coast thar is the same way.

I remember one of the last times I got gas at a non computerized station. it was off (WAY OFF) the beaten path in podunk nowhere. strangers really didn't pass through this place. there was a teeny tiny sign that said the price on the pump was half of the actual price. I found out later that their equipment could not handle the "high gas prices". this was in the mid 80s, I think the first time gas had gone over a dollar. I didn't have enough cash (hadn't caught the sign), no check book, only a debit card and the town didn't have an ATM. I did have a military ID, the guy took my word and a couple of days later I sent him a 5 dollar and change money order.

yeah those were the days
Old 12-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Just two weeks ago I read in the paper that the old pumps you might come across are more likely to be inaccurate, and not give you the gas you are paying for.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I miss the days when I didnʻt have to mortgage the house (that I donʻt really have because I canʻt afford anyway) to pay for gas! Seriously, itʻs almost $4/gallon again here
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I miss the days when I didnʻt have to mortgage the house (that I donʻt really have because I canʻt afford anyway) to pay for gas! Seriously, itʻs almost $4/gallon again here
Here we go again...

We pay $2,07/liter = $7,83/gallon... Mind you, I fill my car at a very cheap pump!

I've never encountered a pumping station (except once, in Hungary), where somebody would fill my car for me (I can't even remember when my parents had their car filled for them...). I've never paid cash for my petrol either. Though, I generally only go to a manned station, so I can pay with my debit card at the counter.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Just two weeks ago I read in the paper that the old pumps you might come across are more likely to be inaccurate, and not give you the gas you are paying for.
When you have a cylindrical glass bowl on top with a graduated scale marked in gallons, and you hand crank pump the gas up to the level that indicates the number of gallons you want before draining it into your tank; it's hard to be inaccurate. Ten cents US per gallon!

Now them was the good ole days!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Here we go again...

We pay $2,07/liter = $7,83/gallon... Mind you, I fill my car at a very cheap pump!

I've never encountered a pumping station (except once, in Hungary), where somebody would fill my car for me (I can't even remember when my parents had their car filled for them...). I've never paid cash for my petrol either. Though, I generally only go to a manned station, so I can pay with my debit card at the counter.
Yes, I always forget that itʻs worse in other countries. I should be thankful for my gas prices! Actually, Iʻd settle for a pay scale that was comparable to the cost of living.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Did you say your name was Kaufman?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Nope.

But this is kind of my rebuttal to him. I guess I should have added the /sarcasm tag.

The electronic vs. paper debate sounds just as ridiculous to me as this gas pump article. It's the words that fuel my imagination, I don't care how you want to get them, audio, eink, paper; I prefer electronic and am finding it's opening up more possibilities to me.

The market is moving toward electronic and I doubt there's any stopping that. That said, much will still be available in paper for those that prefer that way. Maybe if the govenator decreed that CA needed to go all paperless....

I suddenly feel the lobbyist coming out in me.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
As I hitch up ol' Nelly in her halter and bit I wonder If'n I'm going to run across on of then new fangled horse-less-carriages. Oh the smoke, stink and noise they make. Nothing like the good ol' fashioned farm air that I'm used to with the horse and cow manure and chicken liter overtones.

Boy with a horse you REALLY know what your getten, just a look at it's teeth and a quick sweep down each leg and you know if you got an old broken down mare or a thoroughbred. None of this wirin' and tubes and nonsense of an auto-mobile!

BUY GAS! Why GRASS IS FREE! At least in the spring and summer and who really doesn't mind the back breaking work of puttin' up hay every summer in the 90 degree heat to have enough through the long winter.

Posh city folks driving around fast as lightnin' never had the pleasure of a slow carriage ride into town. The clip-clop of hooves on cobblestone is hypnotic and who really cares if it takes 2 hours to go to town and back - we've got all the time in the world!

Ahhh for the REAL good ol' days!
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote