Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Book Smarts? E-Texts Receive Mixed Reviews From Students

Article in today's Wall Street Journal discussing the use of eBook readers in education. Article discusses the pluses and minuses of eBooks stating, for example,

"... the transition has sparked controversy among some educators. They say that digital reading comes with drawbacks, including an expensive starting price for e-book readers and surprisingly high prices for digital textbooks. Also, publishers make e-texts difficult to share and print, and it is unclear how well students will adapt to reading textbooks on a screen, some say. The earliest versions of these devices lack highlighting, note-taking and sharing capabilities, and one leading provider’s e-books expire after several months, meaning they can’t be kept for future reference.

Meantime, on Tuesday, a customer filed suit in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, seeking class-action status, against Amazon, claiming the Kindle, when kept in a cover, cracks too easily. An Amazon spokesman said “We do not comment on active litigation. Nevertheless, we encourage anyone who has an issue with the cover attachment mechanism to return the cover and device for a free replacement so we can investigate further.”

You can read the entire article here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...750084938.html
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I can sympathize with these students. Much as I love having all of my text books on a Reader, it's not convenient for note-taking. The annotation features leave much to be desired. I bought my current text books in paper, and it's much easier to slap a post-it on a page, underline a phrase, and write directly on a page if need be.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
.I am torn I would've LOVED this (ok my back would've LOVED this )...but also...the annotation features probably would not have been to my liking (I'm suddenly having flashes of my methods of note taking and highlighting and usage of post it...oh wait..that's not all that different from how I work today is it LOL .....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
We're talking about a very new technology and one which the existing devices haven't really been designed with the student in mind. Also it seems that publishers don't yet understand what they're dealing with and I fear they'll continue to apply outmoded models coupled with whatever wacky new idea sounds good to them without applying actual thought and investigation into the realities of the things.

I'm inclined to think a netbook with a 10"+ screen might be the better choice for the moment. At least until someone sits down designs and brings to market an eink device that addresses the various methodologies of note-taking and other related needs of modern students.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I don't know - on technical books - I could have a couple of pages held in place w/ my right hand and using my left hand to flip between a couple of more in order to compare information. I'm not sure how you do that w/ once screen. Unless there's something to easily flip from one spot in a book to another.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
California is reviewing 20 free math and science e-books that will be made available to teachers this fall. The state will leave it up to schools to figure out how to get the content to students, with solutions ranging from printing them out to handing them to students on CDs. This method, known as open source, could save the state millions.

I love the idea of free digital textbooks in my home state. Hey, it's possible my daughter could be reading one of these on her Jetbook.

But that doesn't make the distribution "open source."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I wrote about my first e-text experience recently for Teleread:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/07/14/m...-from-pearson/

The short version: it was a complete disaster, could not do anything with it but read it off the computer screen, or print the whole thing. No way to save it electronically for future reference, no way to even cut one sentence to cite in a paper. I had to retype individual words and phrases by juggling back and forth from two browser windows. Fail!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I wrote about my first e-text experience recently for Teleread:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/07/14/m...-from-pearson/

The short version: it was a complete disaster, could not do anything with it but read it off the computer screen, or print the whole thing. No way to save it electronically for future reference, no way to even cut one sentence to cite in a paper. I had to retype individual words and phrases by juggling back and forth from two browser windows. Fail!
Your article said "You could print the book to paper." Could you print to PDF? (Then you've got the hassles of running OCR and so on, but at least you've got something you can read when offline.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
No you cannot print to PDF. Only to paper
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I have to agree with what some others are saying...ebooks are too fragmented a medium with inferior hardware backing and no real trust behind them on the part of the publishers.

ebook reading technology is not THAT new, and e-ink display technology is also not that new. I really think that there's a reluctance about developing electronic readers, and book publishers can benefit extensively from making ebooks encumbering and unwieldy.

You need a really good annotation/writing pad system (more advanced and readable than most chicken-scratches touch screens do), highlighting, a means of quick cross-referencing, rapid page flipping, and decent viewing quality, most likely in color for many texts with diagrams. The sluggish, mediocre-quality ebooks of today just aren't geared for that kind of use. Computer screen reading is generally painful enough without having to transfer all my textbooks to it.

Further, there's a bit of a cognitive division between being in a book and being on a computer. The multitasking nature of computing means that when reading a book on the screen, significant effort is needed to retain attention on the book, and a slip of concentration leads to email checking, chatting on IM, dinking around on Wikipedia, and a quick jump to failblog or some other entertainment. Woops, spent 2 hours on youtube chasing links! A physical textbook is a dedicated environment all its own, and once you're in it, it's much harder to wander away. Ebook devices can almost accomplish the same thing, though they're just not good enough to do so effectively with dense texts.

Really, I can see the potential for academic use, but today in practical terms, a Kindle DX or iRex Reader or a Sony reader are pretty lame devices, and the publishing companies are all too happy to castrate their digital offerings in a feigned attempt to "embrace technology" while utterly discouraging its use.

Beyond reading novels that I can't afford to waste apartment space storing (anything I find to be a really good read, I will have a paper copy of simply for typography, which e-readers are again wholly inferior at), I can't imagine my Sony reader being used for anything remotely productive in the way of research or study.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote