Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony PRS 505 Reset Required

I had my Sony PRS 505 on Device Shutdown Mode for 46 days using it to read on an intermittant basis. It had its battery indicator at a full 4 bars for the entire time.

Today it would not turn on at all. I charged it with the wall charger for 2 hours and then had to do a reset as well.

Now it turned on.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this a bug when using the Device Shutdown Mode on a continuing basis?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just to be clear, are you talking about the "Full Shutdown" thing you can do from them menus? Or just the "off" you get from the power switch?

The symptoms you're describing sound like a totally drained battery to me, and aren't uncommon at all when the battery gets totally flat.

What would be unusual is if it managed to get there while in the full-shutdown-like-you-get-from-the-menu-option thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Full Shut Down Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Just to be clear, are you talking about the "Full Shutdown" thing you can do from them menus? Or just the "off" you get from the power switch?
It was using Full Shut Down Mode from Settings / Advanced Settings / Device Shutdown / Mark.

My assumption is that after 46 days of this mode, the battery may have dropped from 4 bars to zero without my knowledge. It was at 4 bars on Sunday, 3/2/08, and on Monday, 3/3/08 it was dead. Its possible that the battery meter stays at 4 bars even though the battery is discharging steadily at a slower speed than in Screen Blank mode. The battery meter may not be accurate when using Full Shutdown Mode.

I had been using it in Screen Blank mode from the switch for a few days during the period for reading. When I was using it steadily in Screen Blank mode, the battery lasted from 16 to 18 days to go from 4 bars down to 1 bar.

By the way, charging it for 2 hours from the wall socket did not allow me to open it up. It was still locked until I did the Reset.

If this assumption is true, it may pay to switch from Full Discharge Mode to Screen Blank Mode after 30 days and allow the Battery Meter to readjust itself. I will try this approach in this next cycle.

Hopefully, the next firmware upgrade will fix the Battery Meter problem.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If the battery had become fully drained then 2 hours may not have been enough to recharge fully. It needs to charge until the little red light goes off (otherwise the battery meter can give some inaccurate readings).
I'd be tempted to charge it overnight, just to be on the safe side.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
kurthackl
kurthackl began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Hi !

I tested the Full Shut Down Mode with my device,
i had the same problem as you.

the PRS505 LED was flashing orange in Full Shut Down Mode, the only solution was the soft reset . (reset button on the back)

Between Shut Down and reset i didnt recharge the battery !
The device starts without additional power.

maybe a bug ??

Last edited by kurthackl; 03-04-2008 at 10:56 AM.
kurthackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthackl View Post
maybe a bug ??
Well something is certainly squirrelly there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote