Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Stiggosaurus
Stiggosaurus began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Publisher Default Formatting and Custom Fonts

Hi all,

I'd like to take on a project where I'm looking to convert a bunch of books that are in poorly formatted HTML into an ePub. My research has led me to Sigil, and I've had an absolute blast playing around with it this evening. Very user friendly app for the most part, and very powerful!

My progress has been good so far. I've made my way through several chapters of the first book, and I've been very impressed with the results so far. Only one thing is bugging me though. When I view the ePub that is output on my reader of choice (Nexus 7 running Aldiko), it looks fantastic as long as I use the Publisher Defaults. But the moment I change to a custom font, all formatting is lost: text size, bolding, spacing, etc. I suppose I was under the assumption that the whole point of using something like a style sheet would keep the "foundation" of the formatting present, and only modify the pieces that user chose to customize. If it matters, I'm using an external style sheet for all my formatting.

What am I missing? How do I allow for this? How do I allow a user to modify the font, spacing, and/or alignment to their liking and not mess with the oveall gist of the formatting?
Stiggosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You have it right, you do it via stylesheets. However, the symptom you are describing almost seems that Aldiko overwrites the stylesheet completely. That is strange.

Then again, it could be that your stylesheet contains items which causes these actions. Can you post (part of) your stylesheet?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert