Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #676
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
I made a half-hearted attempt at finding a scanned version of Shakespeare Identified on the web somewhere, and failed. If anyone trips across one, I'll be happy to clean it up for MR myself.

[edit a little later] - I have found Looney myself via the Internet Archive. It looks like it will take a week or two, though: very messy scan.
There are several copies at archive.org, one, two, three, four, and also a copy of his book of Oxford's poems.

Perhaps one of them had a better OCR, or has good enough quality for your own OCR to do a better job.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #677
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I have now posted a cleaned-up version of the University of California's copy of Shakespeare Identified, by J Thomas Looney.

The long title to this book is "Shakespeare" Identified as Edward de Vere, Seventeenth Earl of Oxford, which just about says it all.

I found it difficult to prepare as the original contains what I believe are called marginal rubrics - little notes in the margins stating what the paragraph is about. The OCR process tends both to garble these and insert them into the text of the paragraphs. I also had some difficulty cleaning up the punctuation.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 AM   #678
gangnamkaju
Banned
gangnamkaju began at the beginning.

Device: Tab
Ebook Request

Book : Mothers, Sons, and Lovers
Author : Michael Gurian
Format : pdf/epub

would appreciate if it is not scan copy but ebook version.
thank you
gangnamkaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #679
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangnamkaju View Post
Book : Mothers, Sons, and Lovers
Author : Michael Gurian
Format : pdf/epub

would appreciate if it is not scan copy but ebook version.
thank you
Michael Gurian's works aren't in the public domain.

But also, it doesn't look like his publishers have made an ebook version of that book available (it was published in the early 90s - too soon for it to have been an ebook originally, and too late to have been republished as an ebook yet).

You might have to resort to a paper copy and a scanning service.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 AM   #680
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Michael Gurian's works aren't in the public domain.
Very much not in the public domain, as Michael Gurian is still alive. He might even object to his works being scanned privately, in view of what might happen subsequently.......
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #681
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Very much not in the public domain, as Michael Gurian is still alive. He might even object to his works being scanned privately, in view of what might happen subsequently.......
Copying of copyright works that are legitimately owned for private use is no longer illegal in the UK. See The Copyright and Rights in Performances (Personal Copies for Private Use) Regulations 2014:

Quote:
(1) The making of a copy of a work, other than a computer program, by an individual does not infringe copyright in the work provided that the copy—
(a) is a copy of—
(i) the individual’s own copy of the work, or
(ii) a personal copy of the work made by the individual,
(b) is made for the individual’s private use, and
(c) is made for ends which are neither directly nor indirectly commercial.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #682
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Samuel Johnson for kindle please...

I've noticed that the MR library doesn't have any kindle versions of Samuel Johnson works. He died AGES ago, so is in the public domain. It would be nice to have an illustrated version of Rasselas and a volume of The Rambler. If the latter has to be broken up into parts, please mention in the details what is in each part.

This request stems from the difficulty of finding the essays which contain the one on Procrastination. I downloaded an 'illustrated' version of Rasselas from PG but can't find any pics in it!

Thanks to all uploaders for your hard work.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #683
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This request stems from the difficulty of finding the essays which contain the one on Procrastination. I downloaded an 'illustrated' version of Rasselas from PG but can't find any pics in it!
The essay on procrastination? I'll do it. Tomorrow! Or maybe the day after. Or..
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #684
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks SBT, whenever you can be bothered to get round to it. Tomorrow is always a good day
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #685
Araucaria
Bibliophile

It's not exactly my own taste, but I can't find a free version of Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys". The B-P wikipedia page says it's out of copyright in the EU, as the author died in 1941.
Anyone prepared to give it a try? It's full of line drawings.......
Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #686
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
It's not exactly my own taste, but I can't find a free version of Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys". The B-P wikipedia page says it's out of copyright in the EU, as the author died in 1941.
Anyone prepared to give it a try? It's full of line drawings.......
Not sure about the quality, but it is available here where you can download: www.thedump.scoutscan.com/ebooks.html
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #687
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Ley Lines, anyone?

As far as I am aware, Alfred Watkins died in 1935, so his books are now well out of copyright.

I'd love to have an - illustrated - e-book of his classic "The Old Straight Track". But I can't even find a badly scanned version.

Although ley-lines might not be to everbody's taste, the book which started it all is a fascinating historical document, and well worth reading.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #688
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
As far as I am aware, Alfred Watkins died in 1935, so his books are now well out of copyright.

I'd love to have an - illustrated - e-book of his classic "The Old Straight Track". But I can't even find a badly scanned version.

Although ley-lines might not be to everbody's taste, the book which started it all is a fascinating historical document, and well worth reading.
There are several of his books at archive.org, although none with that title. Unless it's another name for "Early British trackways:moats, mounds, camps and sites"

[Edit: no, I see that was probably an earlier version, published 1922 not 1925.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-31-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #689
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are several of his books at archive.org, although none with that title. Unless it's another name for "Early British trackways:moats, mounds, camps and sites"

[Edit: no, I see that was probably an earlier version, published 1922 not 1925.]
Won't (legally) be on archive.org, because that follows US copyright law, and the book is still protected by copyright in the US.

Not an ebook, I know, but a quick search on "abebooks.co.uk" shows lots of very cheap paper copies for sale. The previous poster could always buy one and send it to one of the cheap book-scanning services.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-31-2015 at 10:34 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #690
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Won't (legally) be on archive.org, because that follows US copyright law, and the book is still protected by copyright in the US.
Oh, of course. What's really annoying is that Google have scanned the book, but can't/won't permit downloads, even in countries where it's out of copyright.