Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
len.jacobs
len.jacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Spell checking epub files

Perhaps this has been discussed, but I cannot find a full thread on the question of proofing epub files. So I ask: Once I have an epub file that I want to proofread, isn't there a method that will allow me to run this through a spell checker? I want to build a dictionary of my custom technical words and also search for hyphens which should not be in the epub file. I know I can copy text, chapter by chapter to a Word or Open Office file, but I would prefer doing the spell checking inline.

If this is possible within sigil, great. But perhaps there is another tool that would allow this type of proofing.

Thanks.
len.jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by len.jacobs View Post
Perhaps this has been discussed, but I cannot find a full thread on the question of proofing epub files. So I ask: Once I have an epub file that I want to proofread, isn't there a method that will allow me to run this through a spell checker? I want to build a dictionary of my custom technical words and also search for hyphens which should not be in the epub file. I know I can copy text, chapter by chapter to a Word or Open Office file, but I would prefer doing the spell checking inline.

If this is possible within sigil, great. But perhaps there is another tool that would allow this type of proofing.

Thanks.
What I have been doing is un-packing the epub to a temp folder and using Open Office or Notepad++ to spell check. (each has features and limitations)

and then repackage again for a final tweak with Sigil.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
A spell-checker is the next major feature planned for Sigil. So sometime "soon" after the first "official" 0.2.0 release. Not for 0.2.1, but possibly for 0.2.2.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
len.jacobs
len.jacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sounds great. I look forward to this additional and essential feature. I assume the spell checker will support custom dictionaries.

Is there a roadmap for Sigil and do you have any idea about release dates? Are you ready for alpha testers?
len.jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Sounds great. I look forward to this additional and essential feature. I assume the spell checker will support custom dictionaries.
It will be based on Hunspell, so yes. Custom dictionaries may not be in the first release, but eventually they'll be there.

Honestly I haven't given it too much thought. I know what I want to do and what components will come into play, and I also have a preliminary design and some sketches for the UI, but that can all change. I write down ideas during public transportation , but the "real" design starts when I actually start developing a feature. Then I sit down with a notepad and get to work.

Currently I still have to finish 0.2.0, and I have some S&R improvements scheduled for 0.2.1, but everything after that are merely ideas and drawings in a notebook (granted, there's at least a hundred pages worth of future designs, but still).

Oh and I also have to start writing the documentation for Sigil. I plan on doing that over the next few weeks.

Quote:
Is there a roadmap for Sigil and do you have any idea about release dates? Are you ready for alpha testers?
There's no roadmap. I work on Sigil as I find the time, and that's unpredictable because of my university obligations. Any roadmap would be doomed to fail from the start.

If you want to test Sigil before official versions, you only need to keep track of the repository and build it as new source comes in. I know a number of people who do this. I try to always keep the repo stable.

Building Sigil is fairly easy, and can be done with free tools on all platforms. There are instructions on the wiki.

Last edited by Valloric; 04-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert