Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
\minor problem

Just got my Sony 600 found out that the sony e book libray is a pain so deleted it
Now each time I plug in the reader the installer fires up is there asolution to this ? also how do you know the reader is charging? the insructions are obtuse
trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The Reader is charging when the little red light is on.

No idea how to get rid of the installer; I gave up on the Sony software a while ago and the older versions of it didn't attempt to auto-install.

Have you tried Calibre? It'll do conversions to LRF and EPUB formats, and help you manage your library if you're interested in that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes am using calibre but no red light on the reader'possibly due to not using sony programme
Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
If the red light on isn't lighting up, you may not be charging. Check the connection & make sure it's a USB 2.0 port; it'll allow data transfer but not charge on a 1.0 port. (It'll drain, actually.) I don't use the Sony program--don't use any program right now, and mine charges fine.

And I have a 505, not a 600, so it's possible I'm wrong about the red light. Check the user manual.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I copied this from another thread, sorry, I don't know how to link threads. This will stop the Sony software from starting each time you plug in the reader, I don't know what will happen if you have deleted the software.

"The easiest solution (one I used) is to type msconfig in the "Run" dialog in Windows, and then go to the "Startup" tab and uncheck the box for the Sony Reader software. That should stop the software loading up everytime you plug the reader in. This way, I can load up the software only when I want to. Windows will probably still pop up a prompt asking you what you want to do with the newly detected drive (as it recognizes the memory on the Reader as an external disk). You can disable that by disabling autoplay."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
tasdisr
tasdisr began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
I copied this from another thread. I just did a search for installer. This worked for me

"First, open "Computer", and then right-click your reader's drive letter. Left-click "properties". You're presented with a series of tabs. Click the "Hardware" tab. Choose "Sony PRS-XXX Launcher USB Device", then click the "Properties" button. This opens a new window, with a new series of tabs. Click the "Driver" tab, and finally click the "Disable" button. Finally, you will be required to reboot your computer. This disables only the Launcher partition driver, and does not interfere with normal USB operation of the device"
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
trout
Enthusiast

Many thanks to you both ,tried both remidies but not really sarisfactory,I still get files launching when I plug in my Sony 600 ,but it is now charging .
I think it must have been fully charged on delivery
Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
The problem the Library Launcher is still running. If you have a startup manager program use that and look for "eBook Library Launcher.exe". If not you can get something like CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) for free and uninstall or disable it. Or you could try trashing the .exe directly, mine is located in c:\program files\sony\reader\data\bin\launcher\ebook library launcher.exe.

hope this helps!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
trout
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
The problem the Library Launcher is still running. If you have a startup manager program use that and look for "eBook Library Launcher.exe". If not you can get something like CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) for free and uninstall or disable it. Or you could try trashing the .exe directly, mine is located in c:\program files\sony\reader\data\bin\launcher\ebook library launcher.exe.

hope this helps!
Thanks have used c c cleaner for years
N I still get windows launcher which wants to to set up Sony e book libray
am going to clean the lot out and start from the begining
Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Why don't you install it and then ignore it? You'll never be hassled to install it again!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
true. if you install it. then disable the Library Launcher, it won't do anything.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
trout
Enthusiast

Did just that thank God Sony dont build Aircraft