Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Latin translation please

I'm preparing Shrewsbury by Stanley J. Weyman for the MobileRead library, and would be most grateful if someone could translate two mottoes of William III

Tandem fit Surculus arbor

Soevus tranquillus in Undis

Google translate is even less helpful than usual.

As a bonus does anyone know who Soevus was? I can't find him anywhere.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
My googling finds the phrase Tandem Fit Arbor Surculus as the motto of a school in South Africa, which they have translated as The Twig Will Eventually Become A Tree.

Tandem fit Surculus arbor apparently literally translates to a shoot at length becomes a tree.

http://www.eudict.com/?lang=lateng&w...rculus%20arbor

I could find nothing for Soevus ... but plenty of references to Saevis tranquillus in undis (calm in stormy waters).

http://books.google.com/books?id=uqS...0undis&f=false

Last edited by JoHunt; 11-02-2013 at 03:17 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, that's most helpful. I hadn't thought of googling the phrase; I was relying on Google Translate.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote