Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I really doubt B&N are going to release new hardware, regardless of any rumors. I picked up two STRs dirt-cheap though. Real nice devices.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I would be astounded to see them try another tablet, but a higher res, equally hackable iteration of the Glowlight would be most welcome.

I paid full introductory price for the HD+ and feel fine about it. My purchase wasn't based on prognostication about the future MSRP, but my assessment of value for the dollar at the time.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I would be astounded to see them try another tablet, but a higher res, equally hackable iteration of the Glowlight would be most welcome.
That, with a MUCH smaller foot print, and I'd buy it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That, with a MUCH smaller foot print, and I'd buy it.
A bigger one would be fine by me I'd love an Aura HD running Android, but I'm sure anything B&N puts out will stick with the 5" screen and lose some weight.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope they do come out with a 5" reader. I bought my Nook HD to use as a reader, but I find the 7" screen is too large for my taste.
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
Kicksplode
Kicksplode began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook Simple Touch
I found some Nook HD cases on clearance at Target yesterday. Between that and the fact that they're doing a $30 off sale on all models this week, it seems like an announcement is imminent.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
New Nook eReader Cleared the FCC..

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UmUNTPlOOfY
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Wow....I surely hope it's not the same dimensions as the Nook Simple Touch. I'd take a pass on that, no matter how good it might be.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
Quote:
Wow....I surely hope it's not the same dimensions as the Nook Simple Touch. I'd take a pass on that, no matter how good it might be.
I really didn't mind the form factor of the Nook Simple touch with GlowLight when I had one. The wide sides made it easier to hold for me. I cant hold my Paperwhite from the sides the bezel is just to thin for me. The software was my big problem everything from missing covers to just freezing and not working.
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
As long as it has the latest gen ePaper like the Paperwhite, I'll be getting one of these the first day it's available. My Nook Simple Touch is the perfect size so getting one with better contrast and resolution would be awesome.

I just hope they didn't do something stupid like getting rid of physical buttons... (and I hope it's easily rootable).
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
As long as it has the latest gen ePaper like the Paperwhite, I'll be getting one of these the first day it's available.
The incremental contrast/reflectivity upgrade isn't that important to me. Obviously having it is better, but Pearl would be acceptable as long as it's higher PPI, has a better front-light, and people manage to get a few Android apps on there (Kindle and some manga readers would be nice).

Still, with the timing I'm thinking we'll see Carta E Ink. Assuming no glaring defects, I'll be getting one the first day root is available

If the software is super choppy or the lighting uneven/fragile or they move away from Android, I may just assimilate and get a PW2. Either one would be my first E Ink device. The resolutions were just too low for me, vs. tablets, up until the Kobo Aura HD, but Kobo's software and 'ecosystem' seem like the worst. I wish someone found it worthwhile to put out an Android E Ink device without bookstore branding.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81 View Post
I really didn't mind the form factor of the Nook Simple touch with GlowLight when I had one. The wide sides made it easier to hold for me. I cant hold my Paperwhite from the sides the bezel is just to thin for me. The software was my big problem everything from missing covers to just freezing and not working.
The size was fine to me, until I put it in a case. Then, it turned into a monster. But really, I like a smaller device. The Kindle paperwhite is large and heavy compared to the Kobo Glo, even though they both have 6" screens. If Nook makes one comparable in size to the Kobo Glo, I will buy it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Page turn buttons make me interested, but I just don't like the shape of the Nook ST, the bevel is just too wide and it makes it too square. That's just the reader itself, never mind then having it in a cover. Hope they announce it soon though as I'll be ordering my Paperwhite next month if nothing else of interest catches my eye before then.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have heard it be referred to as a hocky puck among other things but I have always liked the shape and especially the page turn buttons on the Nook Glow. What I did not like was the lack of contrast, so most of my reading has been with a Kobo Glo this past year. However, if the contrast is significantly improved and the page turn buttons remain, then I may jump ship back to a Nook ereader. (Did I mention I like the page turn buttons?)
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
The size was fine to me, until I put it in a case. Then, it turned into a monster.
I'm not sure when it was but I said to myself a while ago "why do I even need this thing in a case?" and never looked back. Maybe it was the last string of needing a "book like experience" in an eReader but really there isn't much use for a case in my opinion. The screens on these things are not too easily scratched and the price of the device these days makes it a lot less of a "must protect" item for me...
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote