Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
The Recent Sorting Option does NOT work (PW)

This sorting option should bring the books I am reading and have recently viewed to the front right?

Doesn't work.

I have restored my kindle to factory setting and tried again, with no luck. Updating the kindle from the setting is greyed out so I cant do that.

I have to search for my book every time because I have so many, is this a known problem, or am I unlucky?
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Verify that the time on your device is correct. The easiest way is to turn on Wifi and let it sit for an hour or two (at most). This solved the problem in all cases I know of.

If you want to update your firmware, follow these instructions.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Turn on your wi-fi/3G and sync the device to Amazon.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
cheers, seems to have done it. kept it off wifi before
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
After it got its time you can safely turn wifi off and keep off until you need it again.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I got to around 700 items added and I lost my sort by recent item. I did not set the time until now. Still does it, so I'll try connecting to wifi. I wonder why it worked ok up until around the 700 item mark. According to calibre I still have about 600mb left for storage
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't think it has anything to do with how many items are on the Kindle. I've had it happen, and I don't have nearly that many books on mine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat View Post
I got to around 700 items added and I lost my sort by recent item. I did not set the time until now. Still does it, so I'll try connecting to wifi. I wonder why it worked ok up until around the 700 item mark. According to calibre I still have about 600mb left for storage
(emphasis mine)
AFAIK, the time is not the real culprit. Sure wrong time might screw thing up a bit, but when you connect to wifi / 3g in addition to the time it sets the date. Wrong date is worse than wrong time as far as Kindles sort goes.

Did you maybe sideload new books before the sort messed up? My guess would be that that could have done it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I dislike the way the PW sorts the books!
I much rather have a folder/file view than a book view on only Gd knows what order it puts the books in!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I dislike the way the PW sorts the books!
I much rather have a folder/file view than a book view on only Gd knows what order it puts the books in!
You have Recent/Author/Title that how all Kindles sort. You can choose from the dropdown which to sort by. If recent. If will sort in the last book add, open or used....etc. You need to have correct time on your Kindle and sync once in awhile to keep it current.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that makes sense for 10 books or so, but once you pass the 100 books, are you willing to flip twenty pages just to perhaps find your book?
Not even mentioning I already have over 250 books on mine, and still counting; and it's a bitch to keep it updated.
Unless you upload one book at a time, and read it before uploading the next, the system of managing the library needs a serious update!
Smaller letters, meaning more books per page would help,
but also some kind of search engine would be interesting, that would be able to find books, not only by name, but by partial name (eg: finds a book called "space invaders", when the search term is 'vade', or something...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I guess that makes sense for 10 books or so, but once you pass the 100 books, are you willing to flip twenty pages just to perhaps find your book?
Not even mentioning I already have over 250 books on mine, and still counting; and it's a bitch to keep it updated.
Unless you upload one book at a time, and read it before uploading the next, the system of managing the library needs a serious update!
Smaller letters, meaning more books per page would help,
but also some kind of search engine would be interesting, that would be able to find books, not only by name, but by partial name (eg: finds a book called "space invaders", when the search term is 'vade', or something...
You can do a search for your book if you got that many on your Kindle. This is where indexing comes in. Collections are another great way to keep it organized. They work like tags so you can have the same book in different collections. It may take awhile to get it organize the way you like though. I use Plugboards on calibre to add series info to the title of the book. It puts everything in a nice and neat order.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I believe putting them in collections removes them from the internal memory, to the cloud.
Probably a bug in current software.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I believe putting them in collections removes them from the internal memory, to the cloud.
You mean in collection view? That is not a bug but a feature. They go in a collection, they will show up in each collection they are member of. The home screen only shows collections and books that are not in an collection. Nothing goes into the cloud. When you sync what does go in the cloud is the information which book goes in which collection. Put a book in cloud, and download again, it will be in same collections it was before.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, that's not true. A collection is just a tag on the file - it doesn't do anything to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote