Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
epub to azw3 conversion: fonts issue

I have a noob question. How do I use the fonts embedded in the epub when I convert the epub to azw3 using calibre? For instance, I am trying to convert an epub with Gigi font dropcaps to azw3, but the Gigi font does not show. I am using Kindle Previewer to check my azw3. How do I retain the embedded fonts in epub in my azw3?
topquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
topquark
Connoisseur

I have tried using the "embed font family" function in Calibre, but that does nothing. The large letter is converted into the "regular" font. Please help.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Conversion keeps embedded fonts automatically. If that particular font is not rendering on the Kindle Previewer then its likely a bug in the Kindle previewer. Hard to say more without looking at the files in question.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of fonts, why does Calibre obfuscate fonts in an AZW3 > ePub conversion?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they are obfuscated in the azw3 then they will be obfuscated in the epub output. calibre simply preserves the obfuscation status of the font. It does the same thing for epub to epub conversions as well. Though IIRC it does not do it for epub to azw3 conversions, mainly because doing so is technically difficult and I cant be bothered figuring it out, given that fonts are obfuscated enough by the very design of azw3.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
topquark
Connoisseur

Thanks for your replies, guys. However, the embedded fonts do not show up on both the Kindle Previewer and my Kindle Keyboard. I do not know why that would be. I exploded the AZW3 and checked to see that the font-family definition is still there -- it is. Here is the code for the dropcap in the AZW3:

.dropcap {
float: left;
font-family: Gigi;
font-size: 2.5em;
font-style: italic;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-bottom: -0.5em;
margin-top: -0.725em
}

I do not have any idea why the embedded fonts do not show up. This applies to almost all books I have with embedded fonts. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Did you turn on publisher fonts on the Kindle? Or click the font menu in Kindle Previewer and choose publisher font?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
topquark
Connoisseur

Oops. That was it! Thank you so much, Kovid. I wasn't aware of that feature until you mentioned it.

Now I see all the fonts are there. They look perfect!