Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
sebastius
sebastius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
SD Wifi Card, make our own 'Kindle'

Since my PRS505 will be arriving in a week or so, i've been searching the net for all the potential that can be unleashed.

I noticed the whole Linux sourcecode is available, which should enable a custom firmware, right?

Suddenly I remembered there are WIFI cards that fit in an SD slot (SD-IO).

Okay, now for the fun bit: what if the PRS is combined with a WiFi card (you can always use the memorystick for storage), so it automatically downloads your RSS feeds, or perhaps the latest novels by your favorite gutenberg author.

Problem is, i'm seriously handicapped when it comes to programming, especially linux, I can't make this work.

Anyone got any thoughts on how realistic this idea is? Would you like this 'vision' to be realised on your PRS?
sebastius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
A lot of great minds thinking alike!

You might want to check out a couple of other threads on the subject.

Thread One
Thread Two
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You would need a driver, a TCP/IP stack, changes to the software so you can search for aps, turn the wifi on/off and connect to access points and input wep/wpa keys, and some other software changes for loading/transferring the files. All this is not trivial.

Honestly, if you wanted wifi you should have bought a different reader - I don't think all this will happen anytime soon. There are readers with wifi out there, in fact, I don't particularly desire wifi on my reader, although I would kill for better large library handling for my Sony.

You best would be contributing to/supporting OpenInkpot, there is some effort going on the Sony front, although nothing you can install as of yet.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-17-2008 at 07:11 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
sebastius
sebastius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No i'm not specially looking for wifi, nor would spend the extra money on a reader that has it. It's just for fun. Will check OpenInkPot regularly
sebastius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!