Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
GUI Frontend for python scripts [windows] - seeking mod input first

Hi all.

In my spare time I have been working on a windows GUI frontend for a couple of the python scripts that have been mentioned here on Mobileread.

The program itself merely takes user input (filenames, PID, CC number etc) and passes these along to the appropriate python script with quotes as needed etc.

The program also has the option to save the user data (PID, Name, CC) for later use.

If I were to release the program, the python scripts in question would NOT be included.

Mods - Am I allowed to attach the program here? Or is it getting too far into the grey area?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A GUI front end would be very useful.

I don't know if it is anything more than a fig leaf, but if the GUI also asked the user to enter the name and location of the script then it would not in principle be specific to a given script. For example mobi_gui.pyw could work with any python script (or even a non-python script?) that took three arguments: MOBI MOBI PID. There are actually two such here, see pid_checksum and also the generic argecho. In addition, KindleDRM only takes one MOBI argument, and there is another script often mentioned on these forums with two arguments: AZW PID. Note that a MOBI can be in .azw as well as .prc or .mobi (so AZW and MOBI should be interchangable in the GUI).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Sounds neat. I've been using Pythonwin as a front end for those scripts, but your idea sounds more convenient.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I prefer to use the command line for these Python scripts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I prefer to use the command line for these Python scripts.
Spoken like a true retro-head.

Since a lot of the confusion about using those scripts seem to come from people who don't know the command line or path requirements, a GUI like this could probably benefit a great many people. FWIW, I do like the command line myself too, and when I write my own C code, I write just for that environment. It is sooo much simpler for the coder to just concentrate on the algorithm without the GUI code.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Spoken like a true retro-head.

Since a lot of the confusion about using those scripts seem to come from people who don't know the command line or path requirements, a GUI like this could probably benefit a great many people. FWIW, I do like the command line myself too, and when I write my own C code, I write just for that environment. It is sooo much simpler for the coder to just concentrate on the algorithm without the GUI code.
It also means they'll never learn the command line which is not a good thing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a quick update.

wallcraft had a good idea that I am going to implement. I will create a new program that is as generic as possible. The program accept any script or CLI app that asks for (almost) any combination of INPUT OUTPUT OPT1 OPT2.

I will start working on it this evening.

In the meantime, if anyone wants me to post what I currently have, feel free to request away.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post

I will start working on it this evening.
And then again, I might just read a book instead.