Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Second Impression; A week along - Firmware Blues

I've had the jetBook a little over a week now, and read a significant number of books on it.

1) The Screen - Definitely the right technology, I love it.
2) Battery Life - Several days between charges; good enough.
3) Controls - Well laid out with several hand positions to avoid tired fingers.
4) Page Numbers - The recent "How Long Is That eBook" debate doesn't apply here. jetBooks give page count and %Progress. I suppose I could complain about a lack of word count progress or no character count information, but that seems petty.

Dislikes:
1) Slow response at odd times - probably due to limited processor power, slow bus, or laggy firmware (more on that)
2) Lack of features in the renderer - I miss my Windows Mobile freedom of choice for viewing software. Don't like how Mobipocket handles X; switch to microbook (or Resco View, or Word Mobile, or ...). Specifically, I don't like the lack of internal hyperlinks, for example Mobipocket tables of contents. There are some other, more minor missing items.
3) Poor font support - 2 sans serif fonts, period? Really? That's primitive. Now, as it happens, I like Verdana, and it was designed for this kind of use, so it's not a hardship, but it is a ... a lack.

Overall, it's a good device. Ectaco needs to keep updating the firmware and adding features to the renderer. In particular, they should contract someone like Gower Point to port something like microbook to the device.<--(free advice, worth every penny)

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Your talking way over my head, all I want to do is just download a book of modern fiction?
Where and How? In simple terms for a layperson. Please!
I have had my beautiful jetbook 2 days.
Would love to read something other than this forum....
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yup, Yup, Yup! My thoughts exactly!

Your item two under "likes" reminds me of that old Klingon proverb: CRO-MAAT!

Roughly translated: "The perfect is the enemy of the good enough!"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDowns View Post
Your talking way over my head, all I want to do is just download a book of modern fiction?
Where and How? In simple terms for a layperson. Please!
I have had my beautiful jetbook 2 days.
Would love to read something other than this forum....
Easy-peasy. In baby steps, it's:

1) Download an unencrypted (no DRM) .mobi, .prc, .html, or .epub ebook file to your computer from whereever in the Internet you get such things*. Remember where you put it! Write the location down if you have to.
2) Connect the USB cable to your computer. At least the big black plug has to be engaged. The red plug just provides extra amperage for charging the jetBook (I think). Then connect the jetBook to the small black plug.
3) Turn the jetBook on if it isn't already. I tend not to hot-plug expensive hardware.
4) Wait a few minutes. The jetBook screen will eventually show a drawing that looks like a computer hooked to a jetBook.
5) On your computer, go to whatever kind of listing of storage devices it has. Windows will have a window "My Computer" or "Computer", for example. You'll see a new drive. That's the jetBook internal drive. (If you have a card in the SD card slot, you'll see two new drives.) Select it and open it. In Windows, you'd double click the icon for the drive.
6) Navigate to where you want to put the file on the jetBook drive.
6a) Open a window (or whatever) to the place you saved the ebook file.
7) Copy** the ebook file to one of the folders in the jetBook drive.
8) Safely unhook the two computers. See your particular computer's procedures.
9) Go to book location in jetBook.
10) Read.

Alternate method (summary): Do 1) above. Get an SD card. Plug it into your computer's SD card reader and drag the file to the SD card. Remove the SD card and plug it into the jetBook SD card reader. Wait a while. Do 9) above. Eventually you'll see your book. Do 10) above.

* I like Baen's Free Library and Webscriptions website, Fictionwise Multiformat, and Project Gutenberg. YMMV
**How to copy, etc.: Windows and Mac people would drag and drop. DOS and Linux folks would type something like "copy fubar.prc R:\foldername". Pick your religion. I learned to program on an Olivetti-Underwood Programmo 101. IMO, computers peaked with Vaxen accessed thorugh MS-DOS Tek emulators. Everything since has been baroque ornamentation.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 09-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
PDowns
Enthusiast

Now That makes sence.

If I print that out and follow directions carefully I will be a happy reader!
Thank you so much!!
I truly am a coward I have to be led by the hand in most situations.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I learned to program on an Olivetti-Underwood Programmo 101. IMO, computers peaked with Vaxen accessed thorugh MS-DOS Tek emulators. Everything since has been baroque ornamentation.
Jack Tingle
CRO-MAAT!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
PDowns
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Easy-peasy. In baby steps, it's:

1) Download an unencrypted (no DRM) .mobi, .prc, .html, or .epub ebook file to your computer from whereever in the Internet you get such things*. Remember where you put it! Write the location down if you have to.
2) Connect the USB cable to your computer. At least the big black plug has to be engaged. The red plug just provides extra amperage for charging the jetBook (I think). Then connect the jetBook to the small black plug.
3) Turn the jetBook on if it isn't already. I tend not to hot-plug expensive hardware.
4) Wait a few minutes. The jetBook screen will eventually show a drawing that looks like a computer hooked to a jetBook.
5) On your computer, go to whatever kind of listing of storage devices it has. Windows will have a window "My Computer" or "Computer", for example. You'll see a new drive. That's the jetBook internal drive. (If you have a card in the SD card slot, you'll see two new drives.) Select it and open it. In Windows, you'd double click the icon for the drive.
6) Navigate to where you want to put the file on the jetBook drive.
6a) Open a window (or whatever) to the place you saved the ebook file.
7) Copy** the ebook file to one of the folders in the jetBook drive.
8) Safely unhook the two computers. See your particular computer's procedures.
9) Go to book location in jetBook.
10) Read.

Alternate method (summary): Do 1) above. Get an SD card. Plug it into your computer's SD card reader and drag the file to the SD card. Remove the SD card and plug it into the jetBook SD card reader. Wait a while. Do 9) above. Eventually you'll see your book. Do 10) above.

* I like Baen's Free Library and Webscriptions website, Fictionwise Multiformat, and Project Gutenberg. YMMV
**How to copy, etc.: Windows and Mac people would drag and drop. DOS and Linux folks would type something like "copy fubar.prc R:\foldername". Pick your religion. I learned to program on an Olivetti-Underwood Programmo 101. IMO, computers peaked with Vaxen accessed thorugh MS-DOS Tek emulators. Everything since has been baroque ornamentation.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Well I think I did everything write except it looks encrypted? Well nothing that I can read anyways. It was a prc, file from mobipocket and I downloaded it to my PC then copied it to the G drive. The 2 books show up in the jetbook file and you can read the book names but not the pages are just code I think. So what did I do wrong?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well I think I did everything write except it looks encrypted? Well nothing that I can read anyways. It was a prc, file from mobipocket and I downloaded it to my PC then copied it to the G drive. The 2 books show up in the jetbook file and you can read the book names but not the pages are just code I think. So what did I do wrong?
Search for the threads on mobidedrm.py.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Bold statement, pilotbob.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

Quote:
Yes, those are encrypted. I'm afraid you have 3 choices. Read them on your PC using Mobipocket's reader, read them on your smartphone or PDA using their reader, or stripping the DRM and transferring them to your jetBook*.

The problem is that Mobipocket, the website, only sells encrypted (DRM = Digital Rights Managment) versions of ebooks.

Sorry,
Jack Tingle

*Which is illegal in the US, maybe, probably.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
PDowns
Enthusiast

So how do I strip them?
If it said prc file why was it a DRM file?
Do all the website say one thing and mean another?

Last edited by PDowns; 09-26-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, and is a system that can be put 'on top' of many files to lock them down to one device or another. Unfortunately, thus is the state of the eBook industry. People are trying to find ways to work around it, for example, to remove the DRM from a PRC file.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
So how do I strip them?

Well, here's the conundrum: We're not allowed to give explicit directions on how to use the software that allows this behavior, due to copyright laws and restrictions.

However, do some searches on Google and you'll be pointed in the right direction. Think "strip," "DRM," "Kindle," and "mobi."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
So how do I strip them?
See PilotBob's post in this thread, #8 I believe. Better hurry though before a Mod spots it!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
See PilotBob's post in this thread, #8 I believe. Better hurry though before a Mod spots it!
You do realize I am a moderator, right? I neither gave explicit instruction on how to remove DRM nor did I directly link to such a tool. Certainly the discussion of DRM removal and the tools is ok on the forum.

BOb
-Moderator-
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote