Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
The Cod Father
Enthusiast
The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: KOBO. Kobo Aura
Aura /Original compatibility

I finally broke down and bought a new device a Kobo Aura (on sale at Coles for $109) I am still using my Kobo Original 1st Generation (Not even wifi) with no problems . When I hooked up my new Aura to the computer to charge it started to run through the set up but stopped at the "Connected and Charging" page but would go no further.

Can I run both Kobo's from the same computer or do I have to delete everything associated to the Original before I set-up the Aura .

Any help is appreciated

TCF
The Cod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I cant think of any reason that the two would not coexist. Do make sure to only attach one at a time to the PC.

Do you see any indication of drivers being installed for the Aura, or a drive letter showing up in Explorer for it?

Were you prompted at any point to upgrade Kobo Desktop to a newer version?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cod Father View Post
I finally broke down and bought a new device a Kobo Aura (on sale at Coles for $109) I am still using my Kobo Original 1st Generation (Not even wifi) with no problems . When I hooked up my new Aura to the computer to charge it started to run through the set up but stopped at the "Connected and Charging" page but would go no further.

Can I run both Kobo's from the same computer or do I have to delete everything associated to the Original before I set-up the Aura .

Any help is appreciated

TCF
That behavior happens with iPods. When the PC detect a new iPod, presumably registered to someone else, it starts wiping memories. Kobo does not do it that way. You can have both of them registered to your account at once and can still read on the old one. Actually, Apple lets you have 2 iPods too but not if they are registered to different accounts.

Last edited by 6charlong; 07-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
The Cod Father
Enthusiast
The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks everyone ,

I'll try to get this up and running again

TCF
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
That behavior happens with iPods. When the PC detect a new iPod, presumably registered to someone else, it starts wiping memories. Kobo does not do it that way. You can have both of them registered to your account at once and can still read on the old one. Actually, Apple lets you have 2 iPods too but not if they are registered to different accounts.
This is one of the reasons why I prefer open source software like Linux. I can have as many devices as I want registered to as many accounts as I want, and my software won't try and hijack them and force me to "behave".
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
The Cod Father
Enthusiast

I have tried to sync my new Aura to the Calibre listing I used with my Kobo 1st generation however it doesn't seem to connect with the new Kobo .

Any advice would be helpful

Tcf
Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By "Calibre Listing" what DO you mean?

Does Calibre recognize your Aura? The Aura DOES use a different calibre driver from the original; it uses the Kobo Touch interface as opposed to the Kobo Reader Device interface.

Likewise any plugboards for it use device KOBOTOUCH as opposed to KOBO.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cod Father View Post
I have tried to sync my new Aura to the Calibre listing I used with my Kobo 1st generation however it doesn't seem to connect with the new Kobo .

Any advice would be helpful

Tcf

Update to the newest version of calibre.

See if that works.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
The Cod Father
Enthusiast

Hi Peter T ,

By Calibre listing I was referring to the ebooks and fanfic's that I have downloaded on my computer in my Calibre program . I usually have no problem downloading to Calibre and then transferring to my Kobo Original but when I tried to do a transfer to my new Aura nothing happened . It didn't freeze up or anything it just sat there like a monkey doing a math problem !!

Thanks

TCF
Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It should work the same as with the original Kobo. Does calibre detect the device? Does the OS see it? And when does it freeze? When connected or when you disconnect?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Faulty USB cable maybe? The new Kobo does use a different type of USB connection than the original one did.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #12
The Cod Father
Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your help especially Peter T and davidfor ,

I considered what you both said
and then realized what the problem was . It was a clear case of operator failure !!!!!!

I haven't updated my version of calibre in FOREVER I was actually working with I think, version .89.1 or there about . I wasn't having any problems with the version I was using with my original the I was working on the If it ain`t broke ,don`t update method.
So obviously when I plugged in my new Aura the software had no idea of what it was and did nothing .

Since then I updated to the current version and managed to transfer almost everything from my library to my Aura .I only had a couple of book that were not able to be converted (but they did work on the original ) but one solution per day .At least it is working and ready for my next trip to the hospital .<<

Thanks again

The Cod Father
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Be sure to check out the Kobo Utilities plugin as well; it does contain a trove of useful features.