Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Talk about naïve, I left my Kindle in the hotel room every night for three weeks, didn't even think twice about it. Guess I need to reconsider.
uhhhhh???? were you on vampire time? I'm usually in hotel rooms at night. and the cleaners usually are not in your hotel room at night either *confused*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I wouldn't stay at a hotel where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my travel laptop on the desk and my Kindle (and other devices) in my suitcase or a drawer. I've never had a room broken into or had anything stolen by hotel staff. Either a hotel is reputable and hires staff they trust, or they don't. The only things I bother locking up in a safe are cash and my passport.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would guess that there are people at the hotel who are capable of opening the safes in the rooms. Otherwise they would be screwed when a guest forgets to reset the safe.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What whitearrow said. The only items I generally put into the safe are my passport, tickets and money. I've left cameras, laptops and items like Kindles in my room before. The only thing I do for those items is to put them somewhere where its not visible from the windows since I don't want a random opportunistic thief coming in.

If the hotel I'm staying in is that bad that I can't trust the staff not to be thieves then I'm probably staying in the wrong hotel anyway or I shouldn't have brought that stuff with me in the first place
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would guess that there are people at the hotel who are capable of opening the safes in the rooms. Otherwise they would be screwed when a guest forgets to reset the safe.
Yup. The room safe in my friend's room malfunctioned and the hotel maintenance people had to come out. They reset the electronic combination lock on the safe after a few minutes of fiddling with something in the wardrobe.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It is "easy' to reset the safe with a particular maintenance tool, so theoretically it isnt safe. I usually have odments of dirty clothes that I can hide objects in that I dont put in the safe, like the kindle. Really, in its cover it looks like a diary or something. Only thing I put in the safe are laptops, wallets, and passports. Australia has free safes; come to Australia people, we could do with your business.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've certainly never come across a safe you had to pay for anywhere in Europe, either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It usually isn't something quick that I'd expect a sneaky housekeeper to be able to do. It may took the maintenance guy a few minutes to get it opened with his mysterious looking handheld device.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
My husband (who does leather work) is going to make me a purse with a Kindle pocket.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
uhhhhh???? were you on vampire time? I'm usually in hotel rooms at night. and the cleaners usually are not in your hotel room at night either *confused*
Dohh, guess I had a Homer moment there. Obviously I meant day, while I was out of the hotel room.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #26
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Where did you stay that you had to pay to use the safe? I have never had to do that and I have been to many countries, not South America though.
This was the first time we've ever had to pay to use an in-room safe. The charge was $3.00/day. The hotel was the Hilton at Convention Center, Las Vegas. We could have gotten a safe deposit box at no charge, but that's a hassle having to take your stuff down to the desk every day. My husband and I tend to be very cautious when traveling and we leave nothing of any value in the hotel room.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
You have to pay for everything in Las Vegas.

I've honestly never had to pay for a safe, either, and the only thing I've ever kept in it is my purse (which has money, debit card, etc.) if I'm in a situation where I don't want to carry it. Like at a beach hotel. But I don't think I've ever hid a laptop. I usually just stick it in a dresser drawer out of the way. If I came back to my room and my Kindle was missing, you can bet that hotel would be replacing it for me and firing whoever took it. (:
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
You have to pay for everything in Las Vegas.

I've honestly never had to pay for a safe, either, and the only thing I've ever kept in it is my purse (which has money, debit card, etc.) if I'm in a situation where I don't want to carry it. Like at a beach hotel. But I don't think I've ever hid a laptop. I usually just stick it in a dresser drawer out of the way. If I came back to my room and my Kindle was missing, you can bet that hotel would be replacing it for me and firing whoever took it. (:
well not alcohol that's for sure! and quite often not food! and even occasionally entertainment!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
Hyde
Mistress of Distruction
Hyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with othersHyde plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
When I travel I usually leave my laptop and tech stuff out. I would not leave jewelry out since it is so easy to 'lose' on your own. If my tech stuff walked away I know it didn't grow legs & staff is responsible. In most cases they see that stuff so much I'm sure they know it's probably not worth it.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #30
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
well not alcohol that's for sure! and quite often not food! and even occasionally entertainment!
and sometimes the YouTube videos that show-up afterwards are free too!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, security, traveling