Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
There are a lot of nice comments here. But surely there are more people that would like to weigh in on their kobo device? We can't always focus on the negative lets talk about the positives too.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I love the fact it's Canadian; reliable hardware; new features being added; a wide range of devices and price points. The fact it uses a open standard for books is an added plus.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I love that I got it as a birthday present. I also love the eink screen of my glo, its a nice change from LCD's of computers that I stare at all day long, so much easier on the eyes (I just found out I need glasses on..but have yet to buy some). I like how I read more and watch less tv now that I have it..I've almost finished a book! first time in years plus my glo glows.

Last edited by freekobo; 01-21-2013 at 08:12 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
1. It is by far the lightest way to carry a book or two - let alone some of the tomes I cart around.

2. Firmware is frequently updated adding new features.

3. When I fall asleep reading it doesn;t lose my page.

4. The book store is convenient and price competitive.

5. Wireless delivery of books is convenient.

6. A charge lasts a very long time.

7. Renewed my interst in library books allowing me to experiment with genres I would not otherwise be exposed to.

8. The logo is so cool - It's a book!
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
6. A charge lasts a very long time.
How long does your charge last, if you don't mind my asking? I'm doing some testing of my battery life and I have a suspicion my battery might be bad.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
How long does your charge last, if you don't mind my asking? I'm doing some testing of my battery life and I have a suspicion my battery might be bad.
As a matter of routine, I charge once a week. Charge (according to the display) is rarely less than 50%. I don't charge until 100% is displayed; I just plug in to a wall charger for a few hours.

The big variable is wireless use. Using kepubs, the book automagically syncs when you go to the home page, sleep, or turn off. But even using kepubs all week there is no need to stick to my weekly regimen.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As a matter of routine, I charge once a week. Charge (according to the display) is rarely less than 50%. I don't charge until 100% is displayed; I just plug in to a wall charger for a few hours.

The big variable is wireless use. Using kepubs, the book automagically syncs when you go to the home page, sleep, or turn off. But even using kepubs all week there is no need to stick to my weekly regimen.
Thanks for that nogle. I can conclude from your experience that one week of use should only cost 50% of the battery at most, since you don't charge up to 100% and hardly ever go under 50%. One more reason to suspect my Glo has a bad battery (current estimate of the test I'm doing is 8 days use from 100% to 0%, tops).
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks for that nogle. I can conclude from your experience that one week of use should only cost 50% of the battery at most, since you don't charge up to 100% and hardly ever go under 50%. One more reason to suspect my Glo has a bad battery (current estimate of the test I'm doing is 8 days use from 100% to 0%, tops).
My experience is that 1 week uses perhaps 50%. The Kobo does reach 100%. I find that if I charge until it says 100% upon disconnection, it will report less than 100%. But if charged for a period beyond 100% then once disconnected it will remain at 100%.

Note that I am using a touch, not a glo. I don;t know how much drain the light causes.

I have also noted that searching for wifi does use a significant amount of charge. If I am on the train and it looks for wifi to bookmark a kepub, it has a significant cost in battery life. When wifi is not available, it appears best to have it off else it uses a lot of energy looking for a network.

I suspect none of this impacts your suspicion of a bad battery though.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
My experience is that 1 week uses perhaps 50%. The Kobo does reach 100%. I find that if I charge until it says 100% upon disconnection, it will report less than 100%. But if charged for a period beyond 100% then once disconnected it will remain at 100%.

Note that I am using a touch, not a glo. I don;t know how much drain the light causes.

I have also noted that searching for wifi does use a significant amount of charge. If I am on the train and it looks for wifi to bookmark a kepub, it has a significant cost in battery life. When wifi is not available, it appears best to have it off else it uses a lot of energy looking for a network.

I suspect none of this impacts your suspicion of a bad battery though.
Thanks for the extra details! Good to know you were talking about a Touch, sorry I missed that. The Glo battery has repeatedly been reported to be slightly better than the Touch's though, even with usage of the light. Also, my Wifi is always off and so is the "listening for sleepcover." I read as little as possible on it during the current test and am monitoring the battery usage during sleep, and trying to compare it with the battery usage during sleep in my Touch. Both devices have the same book in cache... but wait, I'm hijacking this lovely thread with horrible things! I have a thread about it over there and will stop talking about over here
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #40
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I love everything about it and have never had a glitch...These are some of my reasons.

1. Thin compact size of the Glo. Will fit in any purse.
2. Lovely pearl white screen for daytime reading
3. Variable lit screen is perfect. Mine is never too bright
4. The ability to switch between day and night with out syncing 2 devices
5. Epub and mobi support
6. SD card
7. Weekly charging only.
8. Ability to delete a finished book from the bookshelf.

Last edited by dixieknits; 01-22-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #41
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
The number one reason I love my kobo Touch is that it is an e-ink ereader.

Another reason I love my kobo Touch is because it supports epub files.

A Third reason I love my kobo Touch is because it is pretty.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #42
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Form

Ease of use - sync n read

Dog friendly - both dachshunds can climb on me, find a comfy spot, and while one hand holds my mini the other hand is free to scratch ears, rub bellies, and hand out treats
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Dog friendly - both dachshunds can climb on me, find a comfy spot, and while one hand holds my mini the other hand is free to scratch ears, rub bellies, and hand out treats
You use that avatar and you have dogs?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You use that avatar and you have dogs?
I get into enough trouble just being me, any talk of my bibliolatrous pussy would really be tempting the fates.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #45
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I get into enough trouble just being me, any talk of my bibliolatrous pussy would really be tempting the fates.
I dunno maybe we should ask MR. Humphreys to weigh in on it?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote