Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Thumbs up "Haven" By Justin Kemppainen

Just finished reading, "Haven" By Justin Kemppainen and I have to say this book was outstanding.

Here is the ebook description: "The Citizens of Haven have finally realized their dream; separation. They have ascended. A new layer has been placed upon the city, sealing anyone they deem unfit down below. In the dark slums beneath the city, something has been set in motion that will usher in a change. Something that will rattle the city of Haven to its core and forever alter the lives of everyone within."

This book was gripping right from beginning to end and I found it very hard to put down and it continues to get rave reviews. It appears to be Mr. Kemppainen's first full length novel and I am not the only one anxiously waiting, for more of his work. It is currently a free book, but the author could easily charge for it and make some good coin.

You can check it out at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7341.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Your previous teacher has been deemed unfit to educate, so I will be filling in until a more permanent replacement can be found."

Must be a fantasy.

Actually I read 2 pages and downloaded it. Looks VERY good. Thanks
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
I just finished this book also. It was great, and plan on buying his next novel when it is released.

The story was good, and I would love to see a book that picks up where this one left off.

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Gave up after about 50 pages.

I think the story is actually quite good and the author has the makings of a good writer but the book just isn't finished in my opinion. It needs a good editing and proof reading to really make it readable. The lack of this just grated on me too much and that's why I couldn't finish it.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey everyone!

I really appreciate the kind words and recommendations.

*sigh* I do admit that Haven seems to be quite due for another edit, mostly on the proofreading front.

Although good news for fans of the world; once I finish the first edit of another project (new novel!), I'm thinking of piecing together a short story in the Haven universe.

Again, thanks for the support.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Sounds interesting. I looked in the IBook Store and it was $10. Went to www.smash words.com and saw tat is was free. Used stanza on the iPhone and downloaded. I really would love to see stanza on the iPad. I like the iBook app for reading, but I miss how easy it is to get books via stanza.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, that really irks me. I think I'll probably just opt out of the Apple distribution because 10 bucks is absurd.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
pricecw
Zealot
pricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheesepricecw can extract oil from cheese

Device: enTourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Hey everyone!

I really appreciate the kind words and recommendations.

*sigh* I do admit that Haven seems to be quite due for another edit, mostly on the proofreading front.

Although good news for fans of the world; once I finish the first edit of another project (new novel!), I'm thinking of piecing together a short story in the Haven universe.

Again, thanks for the support.
I think it would do good with another edit/proofread, but I have seen paper published books way worse than this one.

I also wish there was a quick way to note a page on my Sony that could get fed back up. One thing that might help, search for ';;', you will find one place that kind of had me stumble.

Either way, I really enjoyed your work. I think the story was great, and the rest was not enough to really distract me (although there were a few places that pulled me out of the book).

--Carl
pricecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecw View Post
I think it would do good with another edit/proofread, but I have seen paper published books way worse than this one.
Agreed, while I did notice a few errors here or there, the story was too compelling to allow a little error to pull me away from the story.

Also, it is a free ebook, and only the second offering from Mr. Kemppainen, so I think it is more than fair to let a few errors slide and not to be too critical.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote