Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
jkirby
jkirby began at the beginning.

Device: nook(?)
Sharing and borrowing ebooks

Hi all,

I've been waiting for years and years for a good ereader to be developed and ebook availability and I think the time is finally here. Still, I am having pause at the limitations of ereaders/ebooks before I purchase. I love the devices I have looked at (Nook and Kindle). The thing that gives me pause pertains to borrowing and sharing books. I love libraries--- why can my library only loan a fraction of the ebooks available at Amazon or B&N? A library can purchase a regular book and loan it, so why can't it do that with ebooks? And what if I want to share a favorite book with a friend? Most importantly, is there any chance these issues will be resolved if I wait to purchase?

Opinions on Nook vs Kindle vs other readers are also welcome.

Thanks!

jim
jkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
Hi all,

I've been waiting for years and years for a good ereader to be developed and ebook availability and I think the time is finally here. Still, I am having pause at the limitations of ereaders/ebooks before I purchase. I love the devices I have looked at (Nook and Kindle). The thing that gives me pause pertains to borrowing and sharing books. I love libraries--- why can my library only loan a fraction of the ebooks available at Amazon or B&N? A library can purchase a regular book and loan it, so why can't it do that with ebooks? And what if I want to share a favorite book with a friend? Most importantly, is there any chance these issues will be resolved if I wait to purchase?

Opinions on Nook vs Kindle vs other readers are also welcome.

Thanks!

jim
Welcome to MobileRead, Jim.

First, it would be helpful to know where you are located.

Now....have you researched your local library and seen their selection of ebooks?

You know that they have to buy each digital copy they carry. Many libraries are getting on the wagon, but it takes time.

Second, are your tastes represented well there? In other words, is it worth it to your to even use your library? That would depend on how progressive they are, and if their budget can handle the ongoing new books avaialable every day.

The limitations of current ebook readers are limited only by your decision to whether or not to strip the drm, after you've bought the book

If you choose to, and remember, this is probably illegal whereever you are, once stripped, you can send that book anywhere, read anywhere, on any device, using Calibre to shift format.

Our site here has thousands of ebooks with no drm.......public domain, yes, but formatted by our own members and no excess pages to wade thru. There are other sites to get free book, and other sites to buy books besides Sony Store and Amazon.

Sony and Kindle are not the only devices out there, check out our wiki page for a list, and remember there should be a whole slew of new ones released this year. Good luck and enjoy the process.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
jkirby
jkirby began at the beginning.

Device: nook(?)
These are very helpful thoughts--- thanks so much. Am I correct in concluding from your remarks that my local library (which is terrific) can purchase ebooks and legally loan them just like regular books? If so, this makes me feel much better and more likely to jump into the ebook world. With the terrific ereaders now available, it seems like only a matter of time before libraries get on board.

I am located in Rockville, MD, a suburb of DC.

Thanks again for the warm welcome
jkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
These are very helpful thoughts--- thanks so much. Am I correct in concluding from your remarks that my local library (which is terrific) can purchase ebooks and legally loan them just like regular books? YES!If so, this makes me feel much better and more likely to jump into the ebook world. With the terrific ereaders now available, it seems like only a matter of time before libraries get on board.

I am located in Rockville, MD, a suburb of DC.

Thanks again for the warm welcome
If you go here, you can search your local library and see exactly what they offer.

http://search.overdrive.com/

Most librarys only buy one copy of a digital book so you may still have to wait for that particular one you want.

You can also contact your local library and talk to the librarian or whoever is in charge of digital media. Find out what they are planning. Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
More and more libraries are carrying ePub and Adobe Digital Editions PDF ebooks over Mobi, which is what the Kindle uses. If your library has most of the books you like in either ePub or Adobe PDF, you should consider getting something other than a Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
ShooterMcGee
Enthusiast
ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShooterMcGee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350SC
DC Public Library has a HUGE selection of ebooks and is avail to DC, MD and VA residents that live near the DC borders.

http://www.dclibrary.org/
ShooterMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Jim. Just to say hello and offer best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Hello and welcome to Mobileread ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote