Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
John W. Campbell Editorial

John W. Campbell was the editor of Astounding Science Fiction, a post he held from 1934 to his death in 1971. This particular editorial was written in 1961. I have found no evidence that the copyright was renewed, so it is now in the public domain. I am posting it in RTF. If someone wants to upload a copy to our ebook library, feel free.

This is one if my favorite Campbell editorials. I strongly urge you to read it.
Attached Files
File Type: html readme.html (881 Bytes, 345 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
RE:

Speaking of Campbell, is his biography of Lovecraft available as an ebook?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did he write one? I don't see it listed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliog...hn_W._Campbell
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Hmm maybe I am thinking L Sprague De Camp?
It's been ten years since I read it.
Did De Camp write one?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

in paper:
http://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Biog.../dp/0385005784

I can't find it as an ebook.
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Nate,

Had you considered gathering up a pile of his editorials as an ebook for MR? Might make a good read....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Nate,

Had you considered gathering up a pile of his editorials as an ebook for MR? Might make a good read....
I had suggested it quite a while back. Unfortunately, very few have been scanned and converted (I got this one from Baen).

While I was trying to answer Phogg's question earlier, I learned that there is an out of print collection of his editorials . I bought a copy off of Amazon. I'm going to scan the ones that are in the public domain and convert them.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You might want to write in intro to the collection....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
John W. Campbell was the editor of Astounding Science Fiction, a post he held from 1934 to his death in 1971. This particular editorial was written in 1961. I have found no evidence that the copyright was renewed, so it is now in the public domain. I am posting it in RTF. If someone wants to upload a copy to our ebook library, feel free.

This is one if my favorite Campbell editorials. I strongly urge you to read it.
Nate, I'll go ahead and make this available in an LRF file, just as soon as I finish (in about 2 more hours), Jennie Gerhardt, by Theodore Dreiser.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For anyone reading this thread, the Campbell editorial is now available in LRF format, with a bonus 11 pulp covers from Astounding.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote