Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Sony Reader price markup for Australia

I've been checking out Sony Readers and looked at the price comparison with the United States.
Given that Australia is currently pegged approximately equal to the loonie and near enough to the US dollar not to matter, I left out exchange rates.
The PRS350SC is advertised at $229 AUD inc. GST; that is, $208.18 AUD + $20.82 AUD GST.
The PRS650BC is advertised at $299 AUD inc. GST; that is, $271.82 AUD + $27.18 AUD GST.
On Sony US's website, the Reader Touch Edition is $229.99 USD and the Reader Pocket Edition is $179.99 USD.

That's a considerable price difference..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
This isn't unusual though, is it? (Sad to say.) We've always had to pay a fair bit more than other countries for electronic gadgets, even when the AUD was last $0.96. The Kobo sold in Australia is also $50 more expensive than its equivalent in the USA.

That said, Sony does have a history of charging high prices too -- all part of the brand, I suppose. I remember when the Playstation 3 was first released here, it was around $1 000 AUD. A similar model in the USA cost $600 USD.

Last edited by viviena; 10-03-2010 at 10:05 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am not at all surprised with the markup here. Australians pretty much always pay premium prices for almost everything. This is why many Australians who are net savvy buy online, as even with postage costs, the item is still cheaper.

Even the Jetbook Lite retails here via specialty estores for over AU$200.

http://australia.ectaco.com/products...-jetbook-lite/

In essence, like most Aussies, I firmly believe we are being price gouged (ripped off).
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just for interest, my own house has just signed a retail deal with Sony. They take a 40% retail commission (which is pretty much in line with the lower end of commissions/discounts demanded by high street brick-and-mortar bookshops -- far too high for an online store). BUT that commission applies only to ebook sales within the US. Sony claims a whopping 65% commission on sales made to 'foreign' buyers in the rest of the world. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
botrerta
botrerta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I didn't think the pricing was that bad. The US price doesn't include sales tax and if you were to consider exchange rate variations (pretty good today, but quite variable) and freight costs the price gap isn't that bad.

I'm still more pissed off about ebook pricing in Australia (fortunately I've discovered the benefits of using a US based VPN service to sort that issue out!)
botrerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
GhostDreamer
GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.GhostDreamer is at the top of the food chain.

Device: PRS 650
Here in Canada, we also have a mark up - well in almost everything but nothing as grossly marked up as cars!

Anyways I got my PRS650 for $249 + 13% HST so around $282 CAD. Considering our exchange rate with the US, it is cheaper to get it in the US. Even when our dollar was higher than the US dollar, prices on our items didn't drop - in fact a lot increased.
GhostDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I paid 223.99 including tax CAD for a Sony 350 from the Sony store. Same prices elsewhere.
Doesn't seem that much difference with current conversion rates which can change daily. 223.99 CAD = 227.05 AUD today so $1.95 difference
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
@AprilHare,

With over a thousand posts on the forum, I'm sure you know which device you want!... LOL

But on the topic of Oz imports, in case someone is on the same path, I'd like to mention something about the Kindle DX. My lady friend brought in our first DX from the States. After 6 weeks of camping with it, I was so jealous that I wanted one. Now, my experience with Amazon is that they rarely ship electronics outside the States, and when they do, they want your left leg for shipping... But in fact they only charged me twenty bucks, and they shipped via DHL courier... The unit was delivered to me in the middle of the bush.

Hope that's not too off-topic, but I thought that on the subject of mark-ups in Oz, it's pretty sweet that you can get a DX at US prices. No GST and customs duties either.

Wishing you a fun day,

Andy

Last edited by playful; 10-10-2010 at 04:57 PM.
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by playful View Post
But on the topic of Oz imports,
Well here is another example of a "Please explain" massive American Company.

Explain why Adobe CS5 Design premium is priced at $3,175 compared with America where it is only $1,899? I Could almost understand due to shipping costs, import taxes etc.

But then, why if I download it I still have to pay $3,175.???
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Explain why Adobe CS5 Design premium is priced at $3,175 compared with America where it is only $1,899?
Yes... But what I find even more amazing is that from what I've heard, you can go to India and buy the same thing for ten dollars!!!... LOL... That blows my mind.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Yes... But what I find even more amazing is that from what I've heard, you can go to India and buy the same thing for ten dollars!!!... LOL... That blows my mind.
Yeah, I've heard that also. But I find that hard to believe.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
You people pay money for your software... amazing

(Just so you don't all think I'm a pirate - I'm using opensource software - though I have to admit to having purchased a few packages for Linux in the years).

Paul

Last edited by MrPLD; 10-04-2010 at 11:24 PM.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
@AprilHare,

With over a thousand posts on the forum, I'm sure you know which device you want!... LOL
My previously described Sony PRS-500 and PRS-600 might provide a clue The PRS-950 is coming out soon.. I will evaluate it when it comes out then decide what I'm doing in the future.
Quote:
Hope that's not too off-topic, but I thought that on the subject of mark-ups in Oz, it's pretty sweet that you can get a DX at US prices. No GST and customs duties either.
I personally came to the conclusion that Amazon liseuses do not represent a bargain - you're tied in with them until the end of Time.
At least with a Sony Reader I have EPUB and can buy books from any old publisher rather than send all my moola to Amazon..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I've been checking out Sony Readers and looked at the price comparison with the United States.
Given that Australia is currently pegged approximately equal to the loonie and near enough to the US dollar not to matter, I left out exchange rates.
The PRS350SC is advertised at $229 AUD inc. GST; that is, $208.18 AUD + $20.82 AUD GST.
The PRS650BC is advertised at $299 AUD inc. GST; that is, $271.82 AUD + $27.18 AUD GST.
On Sony US's website, the Reader Touch Edition is $229.99 USD and the Reader Pocket Edition is $179.99 USD.

That's a considerable price difference..
Those are similar to the £sterling UK prices & I guess much cheaper than the €uro prices when they are announced.

EDIT!
O'oops looks like the currency rate converter I Googled was a bit out of date. those prices are much the same as the UK ones.

Last edited by roger the rabbit; 10-05-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: exchange rates
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
playful
Mammal

Quote:
At least with a Sony Reader I have EPUB and can buy books from any old publisher
Calibre conversion too slow for you?

Warmest wishes,

Andy