Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
iRex DR1000? I would rather order QUE.

I was thinking of buying the iRex DR1000. But thanks to many of you here who have reported on this device, I am very glad indeed I did not order it.

I just received a fast email reply from QUE/Barnes & Noble telling me that their 4GB Plastic Logic proReader would be shipped to me after May 17th if I order now.

It has a 10.5" diagonal screen and costs $649.00 or €475.00 ("units" as iRex would call them in true NWO fashion).

http://buyque.barnesandnoble.com/Hom.../814311010036/

This product can officially only be shipped to an address within the U.S., but this service will send it on to you outside the U.S.:

http://www.borderlinx.com/m/

You having reported your unpleasant experiences with iRex will save me a lot of frustration. Again, thank you for that!
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
The DR1000S was great when there was no real competition but I don't think I'd buy another one now with all the other options available. I like having it but the boot-up time alone kills the device for me, I always feel like I have to really need to read something on it to want to waste time turning it on whereas with my PRS-500 I can just hit a button and its good to go from standby. I'm waiting for a good Pixel Qi screen device and my DR1000 will start collecting dust.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Since so many books are downloadable as pdf on the pc these days, I could as well print them and read them on real paper if I don't want to look at the glare of my laptop screen.

It's just the kid in me that still likes toys...
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
I just received a fast email reply from QUE/Barnes & Noble telling me that their 4GB Plastic Logic proReader would be shipped to me after May 17th if I order now.
But how long after? A day after? A year after?

The Que is an excellent device for many purposes, but its lack of free-hand annotation is a major negative for me. I'm sure it will be a great success, although for my personal needs, the DR1000 is still the better machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are there some in depth reviews of the QUE yet?
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Que is an excellent device for many purposes, but its lack of free-hand annotation is a major negative for me. I'm sure it will be a great success, although for my personal needs, the DR1000 is still the better machine.
The Que supports annotations in the forms of stamps, freehand drawing, and typed post-it notes. What is missing?

This video of the prototype shows freehand annotations at the 1:10 mark.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I know that it has that. What it's missing is freehand writing. It doesn't have a stylus, and I doubt that its capacitive touch screen has the required precision even if it did.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
You always can buy a capacitive stylus like DAGI ones, and they works like a charm on capacitive displays like iphone, androids or hd2. I don't know why it will be different on this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHv02V54A0

Last edited by whopper; 02-08-2010 at 06:34 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
You always can buy a capacitive stylus like DAGI ones, and they works like a charm on capacitive displays like iphone, androids or hd2. I don't know why it will be different on this.

Ooh, thanks for the tip!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
kevine
kevine is on a distinguished road

Device: DR1000S
I think I would prefer a wacom stylus as I can rest my hand/wrist/arm on the device and not trigger it - enables your natural writting style.

My X61 tablet is simply fantastic in this regard. The DR1000 is not as responsive nor as accurate, but sufficient and much more readable.

How do capacitive displays handle a natural writing position?
kevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post

I'd suggest waiting for someone else to try it before buying a Que with the expectation of being able to do freehand writing on it. There are two issues:

1. Capacitive screens are less accurate than resistive screens or Wacom-type screens. You don't need pixel-level accuracy to operate a "virtual" keyboard or to press a button on a dialog box, but you really do need it for handwriting.

2. The screen is "triggered" by the vicinity of your finger or a stylus to the sensor - it doesn't depend on any actual "contact" with the screen. I'm not at all sure how well this would work with writing, where you need to have breaks in what you're entering.

If it works, great; I'm just sounding a note of caution about assuming that it will work.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
I think I would prefer a wacom stylus as I can rest my hand/wrist/arm on the device and not trigger it - enables your natural writting style.
I guess you could use a hand glove whenever you'd want to write something in QUE. :-)
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
I guess you could use a hand glove whenever you'd want to write something in QUE. :-)
I sense a PRO BUNDLE opportunity here with a capacitive stylus, leather glove with cut-off finger holes, micro fiber wipe, t-shirt... +$100
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
The Notion Ink tablet is looking very sweet, there's a new video of it on Slashgear
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...ition-0873197/

This would most definitely replace my DR1000 but we'll have to see about the price.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
electrotype
Enthusiast
electrotype began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
The Notion Ink tablet is looking very sweet, there's a new video of it on Slashgear
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...ition-0873197/

This would most definitely replace my DR1000 but we'll have to see about the price.
The screen looks really glossy...
electrotype is offline   Reply With Quote