Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
jose263
jose263 began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Question Newbie Kindle Question

Hi - my 1st post - Want to buy wife (an avid reader) eBook reader for Xmas
she had a panasonic ebook years ago but it is obsolete
1. I see Kindle2 has Whispernet? - download - is this built-in feature or does it require a subscription to wireless provider? We already have Inet provider and PCs - don't need another bill.
2. Any good comparasions - which is better - kindle or sony?
3. which has more books available? she enjoys Stephen king type.
4. anyone have comments about the read outloud feature?
thanks
jose263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Jose.

The kindles whispernet is "built in". No subscriptions.

As for which is better, ..........I love my Kindle, and Sony people love theirs. I think they are both great devices.

If you are in the US,..........Amazon has a great selection of books. Also, you may want to make sure using their map that you get whispernet where you are. Here is their page showing maps, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Readi...sa_menu_kdp2i3

The Kindle also comes with a 30 day unconditional guarantee, so if you buy it and don't like it, you can return it paying return shipping charges only.

Whichever one you get her, she'll be thrilled.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
1. Whispernet free in the US. International users have different price structures which I don't fully comprehend - if that applies to you then you need to research it.

2. Sony vs Kindle - they both have their fans and their detractors. Amazon seems to have the market share, but that doesn't always translate into the superior product.

3. If you go up to the news forum somebody has posted an article comparing eBook prices on the most popular books and Amazon is winning by a wide margin. Amazon also seems to have the most books. Sony reader can handle Adobe ePub files though, which translates to an ability to shop in many websites beyond the Sony bookstore.

4. Text to speech is nice, although not as nice as an audiobook (which is a performer reading a book with voices and inflection) if that is what you are expecting. It is a computerized voice reading to you and some words get mispronounced - sometimes in a very humorous manner.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Heres a great site also to check out ebook prices and avaialability.

Just enter title, author, and they search over 30 sites.........
Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Here where, dGma? Did you forget a linkie?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Here where, dGma? Did you forget a linkie?
arrrgghh!!! (thank you)

http://ebooks.addall.com/
Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
1. Whispernet free in the US. International users have different price structures which I don't fully comprehend - if that applies to you then you need to research it.
Well, whispernet is as free as in the US. At least until you compare the book prices in Amazon store. Anyway, there is no recurring fee outside the US either. We pay by higher prices on the books. And with the Kindle 2 US you would pay an extra fee if buying books outside the US, but that one is not available anymore I think.

But for me it does not matter, I don't buy books with DRM so Amazon store is off limits for now.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
3. If you go up to the news forum somebody has posted an article comparing eBook prices on the most popular books and Amazon is winning by a wide margin. Amazon also seems to have the most books. Sony reader can handle Adobe ePub files though, which translates to an ability to shop in many websites beyond the Sony bookstore.
Amazon's prices is roughly $2-3 higher in Europe than USA (I don't know about other zones).

Just a general thought - not to the OP; sometimes I think people should be forced to add a location when they sign up. So much about one's options and what is avalable depends on where you are in the world, and it would be easier to give advice.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
jose263, if it helps, we just posted an ebook price comparison between Amazon, BN and Sony on our blog. Based on what we found, Amazon seems to have the lowest prices overall right now.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
jose263, if it helps, we just posted an ebook price comparison between Amazon, BN and Sony on our blog. Based on what we found, Amazon seems to have the lowest prices overall right now.
I assume it's USA prices for the Kindle? Any idea how the comparison would work out with international prices?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I assume it's USA prices for the Kindle? Any idea how the comparison would work out with international prices?
That's correct. We don't have enough international data yet to do the same thing for stores like Waterstones, WHSmith, Borders UK or other independents, but we will definitely put up a comparison as soon as we do.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
That's correct. We don't have enough international data yet to do the same thing for stores like Waterstones, WHSmith, Borders UK or other independents, but we will definitely put up a comparison as soon as we do.
have you thought about a more international comparison than only british resellers? Because I don't personally compare prices with them - and Amazon is an American seller - it's just that their European prices are higher. Which all makes for some quite complicated comparisons. I can see that Especially if you have to factor in geographic restrictions I originally thought about this because the latest books I've bought I've compared prices between Amazon and other places, and Amazon only barely competes.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
anurag
Addict

Quote:
have you thought about a more international comparison than only british resellers? Because I don't personally compare prices with them - and Amazon is an American seller - it's just that their European prices are higher. Which all makes for some quite complicated comparisons. I can see that Especially if you have to factor in geographic restrictions I originally thought about this because the latest books I've bought I've compared prices between Amazon and other places, and Amazon only barely competes.

Yes, accounting for availability along with pricing would make for a very interesting dataset. We will definitely do an international comparison once we get more data, and not just with British resellers. You will, of course, hear about it in the News & Commentary forum here once we do.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Amazon's prices is roughly $2-3 higher in Europe than USA (I don't know about other zones).

Just a general thought - not to the OP; sometimes I think people should be forced to add a location when they sign up. So much about one's options and what is avalable depends on where you are in the world, and it would be easier to give advice.
Karma for this! Especially when the OP only makes one or two posts.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote