Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
coolfishx
coolfishx began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Software update for Simple Touch : web browser, email client

"An upcoming update will bring a web browser, email and update store app to Barnes & Noble’s super affordable Nook Simple Touch line of e-readers"

Source : Techcrunch
coolfishx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Or just root it and get them now...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Or just root it and get them now...
ROOTING IS VERY COMPLEX.

and very time consuming requiring a whole day.you can brick the device easily.

i wonder if it is possible to have the rooting os on a sd card and duel booting from the sd card for the android os and also from the nook.

i heard someone here saying somebody was selling either a rooted sd card nook.

or maybe just the sd card to put in the nook simple touch to allow duel booting.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is definitely good news.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
ROOTING IS VERY COMPLEX.
and very time consuming requiring a whole day.
I don't know about bricking it (as I didn't) but it was pretty simple using the NookManager graphical rooter. See here and here for the two phases (i.e. rooting & adding the Google apps & store). Nothing like needing a whole day...
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
ROOTING IS VERY COMPLEX.

and very time consuming requiring a whole day.you can brick the device easily.

i wonder if it is possible to have the rooting os on a sd card and duel booting from the sd card for the android os and also from the nook.

i heard someone here saying somebody was selling either a rooted sd card nook.

or maybe just the sd card to put in the nook simple touch to allow duel booting.
I just rooted mine from start to finish, including reading the guide and downloading the necessary files since your post.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
I just rooted mine from start to finish, including reading the guide and downloading the necessary files since your post.
you must be very smart as i wanted to do it but different sites say different things...they kept saying different versions will only work on different firmware.

i have version 1.2.0 firmware and there are conflicting versions.one said nookrooter will work anothor said it will only work up to version 1.2.0,etc

my version is firmware 1.2.0 and is the nook touch glo.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard

I'd suggest having a look at the links I posted, as it looks as if they've done a lot to make that particular rooter significantly easier to use than other previous options.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
I'd suggest having a look at the links I posted, as it looks as if they've done a lot to make that particular rooter significantly easier to use than other previous options.

i has look and it seems pretty complicated.

any word on that software update that was supposed to be released on 010613?

i was hoping they would expand the reading format list from epub and pdf only to rtf/txt/mobi,etc.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:

i had a look and it seems pretty complicated.

any word on that software update that was supposed to be released on 010613?

i was hoping they would expand the reading format list from epub and pdf only to rtf/txt/mobi,etc.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well it's now June, wonder how long before some eveidence of a rollout is seen, or if it's just a false rumour.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth79 View Post
Well it's now June, wonder how long before some eveidence of a rollout is seen, or if it's just a false rumour.

I think there is an update for tablet nook on the b&n website.

no mention of the NSM glow.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
borzo
borzo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
still nothing?
borzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzo View Post
still nothing?
nothing on the web and b n website so fhttps://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gifar.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd...:(:(/smack.gif
Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
B&N is getting out of the hardware business and maybe the e-book business, too. Why would they bother updating the firmware? This rumor was always obvious fiction.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote