Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Is this PrintPDF thing something that could be run (or ported to run) on the DR itself?

If the main functionality can be, I think it could be extremely useful (for me, that is) if it could be merged with the main UI so annotated PDFs can be generated right away from PDFs + annotations. I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement something along the lines of:

Select PDF -> Open with, or some other menu -> Small dialog draft:

[x] Generate <myfile>_notesonly.pdf
[x] Generate <myfile>_annotated.pdf
[x] Delete exported annotations from DB.
(OK) (Cancel)

What do you think?
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
Is this PrintPDF thing something that could be run (or ported to run) on the DR itself?
I think it's definitively doable, at least as an external script.
Python is already ported, pyPdf is pure python, and ReportLab only C module is for speed.
So I guess it should run on DR.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Python is already ported, pyPdf is pure python, and ReportLab only C module is for speed.

Iņigo
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "external script" mean in this context?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "external script" mean in this context?
I meant xournal could run an external python script, that is, that script is not inside xournal code. Run a different program
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
I meant xournal could run an external python script...
Oh, I see. My idea was to somehow call the script from the main DR UI to skip Xournal altogether. Not that I think it's useless, but all I do with it is 'import annotations -> export to PDF', and a simple UI addition + script as I described would be far more practical for that.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi all, I have been away on holidays for almost two weeks (: so that is why I reply only now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
@Mackx: I have not succeed to make it work (under python 2.8), but I am not very familiar with python scripts. Could you tell us the command line syntax you use?. And, what is the output of this script?
The answer that Iņigo gave is correct for the first version. The 2nd version should open a window in which you can select a directory (preferably a copy) of the SD card using the open-menu-command. All documents that contain annotations (in the metadata.db file) will be processed. (Original files are not changed but a few new files are generated.)
Did you already get it to work?

Quote:
The main purpose of this 'exercise' was to create a tool for PC, I did not think of porting it to the DR itself. But I guess that it should be possible. It will not be my main focus. While reading documents I make some annotations at interesting part so I can look at them in more detail later (I use my DR in the train). So I created this tool to merge the annotations off-line, so that I can quickly look-up the interesting parts and follow-up on them.

Quote:
Oh, I see. My idea was to somehow call the script from the main DR UI to skip Xournal altogether. Not that I think it's useless, but all I do with it is 'import annotations -> export to PDF', and a simple UI addition + script as I described would be far more practical for that.
Once the used modules gets ported, it should not be that difficult to create an 'open with'-command[1] that calls a python-script to convert a single file (for dr1000).

Did anyone use the (2nd) script already?

[1] See dr1000hackx, that allows to install alternative commands for extensions.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #22
MrWarper
Zealot

Thumbs up Xournal - the annotations champ!

OK, while I try and devise methods of talking Mackx into implementing the non-interactive stuff I want , I heavily use Xournal to generate annotated versions of all my books so I can easily (but laboriously!) get as much of a misprint-free library as possible.

I hadn't commented any more on the virtues of this beast of a Xournal port in the hopes of not breaking the enchantment, and now several patches have been released and now we have v0.8d...

Turns out there's no enchantment to break when and where there's a competent programmer in charge. From v0.8 on it's all been improvements and no regressions I am aware of.

I just imported annotations, exported them to a new PDF and saved them as a native Xournal file without a glitch, and I'm talking a 402 page PDF here no less -- edit: 402 annotated pages, more like 500 in the original). Now, can Mackx cook, or can he cook?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the complements.
Quote:
I just imported annotations, exported them to a new PDF and saved them as a native Xournal file without a glitch, and I'm talking a 402 page PDF here no less -- edit: 402 annotated pages, more like 500 in the original).
Note that xournal only handles PDF up-to version 1.5 well. Higher versions might lead to rendering the page to a bitmap and merging the annotations with it. Since memory is not very well managed (it was written for desktop-computers) this will lead to problems even with medium size documents!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #24
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
OK, while I try and devise methods of talking Mackx into implementing the non-interactive stuff I want
You managed to get it under my attention again.... but no promisses.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Thanks for the complements.
I only give credit where credit is due -- it's such a shame occasions to give it are so rare in general...

Quote:
Note that xournal only handles PDF up-to version 1.5 well. Higher versions might...
Oh, thanks for the tip, but I only feed my iRex DRs PDFs I especially craft for them. I'll watch for that in case some program suddenly decides to give 'more modern' output just for fun.

Quote:
You managed to get it under my attention again.... but no promises.
nuff' said