Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
billsmugs
billsmugs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Virtual Bookshelf - does what I'm looking for exist?

What I'm looking for is a website (or program) that allows me to create a virtual bookshelf of all my ebook titles, that I can reorder by simply dragging books to a new location like a real bookshelf. I have found loads of sites/software like Shelfari and Alfa Ebook Management, but I seem to only be able to order them by things like title A-Z or date added.

My ideal solution would include:
---Click and drag ordering
(so all books from a series can be together in order, all books on a specific subject could be together, random books could be located how I want, all books by one author could be together but placed so that they are not in alphabetical order (eg all PG Wodehouse books together, then Bill Bryson's, then Terry Pratchett))
---Multiple bookshelves
(eg for non-fiction, fantasy etc)
---Import my books from calibre or my Kindle (often without ISBN), asking about ones it doesn't know.

---Able to have either covers or spines facing out.
(in spine view, clicking the book would show the front cover and blurb. The size of the spines could be based on the number of pages (or locations on Kindle) in the book)
---Able to be accessed online (this isn't that important, but would be useful)

---Not cost anything ()

Obviously if something doesn't fit all these criteria, then I may be willing to compromise. If anyone out there is a software developer, feel free to use all these ideas for yourself, as long as you give me a copy of what you make!

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry if I've missed an answer or a thread this should have gone in.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this doesn't have to store or convert my ebook files (I have calibre for that) or let me read them, it would purely be to make choosing a book easier than looking though my "not started" collection on the Kindle and allow me to view blurbs (many of my books aren't from the Kindle Store, so don't have book descriptions). In short, I want to replicate the feeling of looking over a (nicely organised) bookshelf and choosing a book.

Last edited by billsmugs; 09-23-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added details
billsmugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The closest thing I can think of is Goodreads...

http://www.goodreads.com/

It won't help organize your files, but it does allow you to track your books and organize them into virtual shelves.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
billsmugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

It won't help organize your files, but it does allow you to track your books and organize them into virtual shelves.
Thanks for the link, it seems pretty similar to other sites and software I've tried though. I'm pretty sure that what I want doesn't actually exist outside of my mind!

Are there any other people who want a program like this or is it just me? I've started work on developing my own (very basic) version, which I may or may not be able to complete (my programming skills only extend as far as Game Maker so that's what I'm using, even though it's far from ideal for something like this) but if I do finish it I might put it online for others to download, if there's any interest.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
billsmugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
I would be very interested in it.
It is something I myself have been after for a long while
Well I can't promise whether I'll finish it, how long it will take or how well featured it will be, but if I do come up with something, I'll be sure to post it here!

EDIT: Where'd they go?! I assume it was a spammer or something or they deleted their account?

Last edited by billsmugs; 10-06-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Chap vanished into thin air!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmugs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

Thanks for the link, it seems pretty similar to other sites and software I've tried though. I'm pretty sure that what I want doesn't actually exist outside of my mind!
One thing that might make Goodreads more to your liking is that you stated you use calibre and there is a Goodreads Sync plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
T.D.02809
Enthusiast
T.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litterT.D.02809 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3rd Gen WiFi, Kindle App for MAC
Ebook bookshelf

[QUOTE=billsmugs;1758740]Thanks for the link, it seems pretty similar to other sites and software I've tried though. I'm pretty sure that what I want doesn't actually exist outside of my mind!

Are there any other people who want a program like this or is it just me? [/quote}

I too would value what you are seeking. I too am not thrilled with Shelfari. I have a Kindle keyboard 3Gen. I can organize by folders. Seeing the book cover as you say would replicate the traditional reading of titles on a shelf.

I do hope someone somewhere is developing or has developed this idea of yours. IF you find it please share here. I know I would be Thankful.
T.D.02809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
maartencoertjens
maartencoertjens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
May I dare to take this one step further?
My dream programme would do everything you wanted but not put it on a normal display but create a 3d Library. Where I could walk in, go to the shelf of Fiction, look for Pratchett and then walk to the shelf of Science and look through my Biology books. Depending on mood, the library could be gothic, old oak reading room, light modern, etc
I have absolutely no programming knowledge so could never create it myself. However anybody willing to create it is free to use the idea
maartencoertjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #8
culturedmeat
culturedmeat began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by maartencoertjens View Post
May I dare to take this one step further?
My dream programme would do everything you wanted but not put it on a normal display but create a 3d Library. Where I could walk in, go to the shelf of Fiction, look for Pratchett and then walk to the shelf of Science and look through my Biology books. Depending on mood, the library could be gothic, old oak reading room, light modern, etc
I have absolutely no programming knowledge so could never create it myself. However anybody willing to create it is free to use the idea
I second this. It should be an Oculus program by now!
culturedmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookshelf, ebookshelf, library, management