Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
stryped
stryped began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi from Ontario, Canada

Hello all,
I'm Ray and pleased to be a part of the community.
I am looking forward to reading and learning.
I have yet to buy an ereader and certainly looking for recommendations,
I live in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada. I can certainly make my way to bigger cities and visit the Sony Stores and other retailers.
I am particularly interested in hearing/reading recommendations from other Canadians.
Do I wait to hear what Apple announces later this week? Is Chapter's getting the Nook? do I order a Kindle?
Thanks in advance, --Ray.
stryped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!

Whilst you're deciding, have a look at our ebook reader matrix (<- linky)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome! There is a ton of information on the various readers -- check the wiki page...and there's way too many Canadians here. I'm sure they'll be along to help you any minute.

Tons of information it the reader-specific forums as well and many helpful people!

Looking forward to learning what you end up choosing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Ray!

Argos or Ticats?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Ray

Enjoy exploring our forums and just ask if you want to know something.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Welcome, Ray. Although my mother was born in Brockville, Ontario, I cannot claim to be a Canadian. Therefore, I will not make specific recommendations.

As far as Apple is concerned, I am very interested in seeing what they are going to announce, but I doubt it will make a device like a SONY Reader or Kindle superfluous. Nothing with a back-lit screen makes a good ebook reader.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR - you have come to the right place to get more info on the readers currently available and those yet to come. Heaps of nice people & fun around too
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Hi Ray and welcome. I used to look forward to entering the fishing derby in Owen Sound but haven't bothered the last couple of years. It's sad what's happened to the salmon runs.

The Chapters foray into ebooks is Kobo (http://www.kobobooks.com). They are being backed by Borders as well so I wouldn't expect to see Chapters selling the B&N Nook. There was a rumour that Kobo would be introducing their own electronic reader but nothing officially announced yet. You can buy from Kobo and read on any device that support Adobe ePUB though. Check out their device support for further information.

Apple's announcement is Wednesday so you might as well wait an see if it appeals to you. I'm expecting just a bigger iPod Touch. Better for watching movies, better for colour magazines, better for text books (tables, formulas etc...), better web browsing, better games, doc it on a stand with a wireless keyboard and mouse and you have a small iMac.... oh and you can also use it to read those ebook things. It depends if you want a do everything device or a dedicated ebook reader.

I would check out your local library to see what their ebooks support is like. Libraries seem to be heading to ePUB so that might influence your decision.

Sony is selling through a bunch of retailers including Sears. You might want to check out your local Sears to see if they have one on display. For e-ink displays I would say that Sony has the most broad appeal in Canada. I would start there but check out the others as well.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Hi Ray, and welcome to MobileRead.

I'm rather partial to my Sony's, but I didn't have a lot of choices when I bought mine. Now there are many other eBook readers available in Canada, I even saw one at our local Costco last week. Barcey gave you some great advice. There are lots of new eBook readers on the market so you'll have lots of options.

I've been to Owen Sound a few times, travelling over from Eastern Ontario where I grew up, but I usually didn't get past Wasaga Beach.

Greetings from Vancouver.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote