Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
romhey
romhey began at the beginning.

Device: ilad 2nd
Need help with iDS update / Cannot update anymore

Hello Everybody,
My problem is like follows (this could be a little long story, i will try to make it short):
I bough iliad 2nd edition in china about six months ago, and number is ER141 002 which means that this is european and not chinese edition, right ? But it came witch chinese software and supported formats were xeb and eba but not mobipocket and txt files. I got a little panicked, but i reflashed from cf card, an software came back to english with mobi support, and so on. Then i made upgrade, installed developer kit, some third party software and everything was beautiful. And recently I felt that my filesystem is a little messy , so i have decided to make format and reinstall software from cf card. So i did. After installation i connected to ids for upgrade, and then problems started. It connected, start to download update go to 99% and bum: "Downloaded file fs.gz is corrupted". I have tried a hundred times and still the same - impossible to update to 2.12, or install dev. kit.
So, after couple of days i got desperate and contacted irex. And this is interesting now: According to guy from iliad i have downloaded sdk, and then accidentally flashed with chinese contents file, and now software is english but it tries to update with chinese iDS server, which makes it fails validation process. Interesting is that i have always used same contents, flashed many times and was ok until now. Which makes me think that rather iRex itself changed something in software upgrade process recently.
Anyway, i am not able to read mobi and txt files (chinese formats as well, checked already), not able to ssh to the device, not able to upgrade, only read pdf files. iRex is asking for 90€ for repair, but as i am now in S. Korea, i am afraid that repair and shipping could take very long time and this could be hard for me.
Is there anybody here who is able to help me to reprogram that damn box, so i could connect to european iDS server, or find any other way to reflash it to 2.12 software with MOBI support ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Good Day
romhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Check which iDS server you were connecting to. If it's 80.255.245.68, then you were connecting to European iDS server.
Here is some relevant info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=chinese
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #3
romhey

I believe i am connecting to chinese ids ids.cn.irexnet.com, besides man in irex said he checked my logs and i am connecting to chinese server. I was trying to redirect this address to 80.255.245.68 using simpleDNS but no success so far.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

If you are using European FW, then connecting to Chinese ids will result in failure may be normal. Check /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml. There is a section:
Code:
    <userProfile>
        <name></name>
        <email></email>
        <password></password>
        <redirectUrl>https://ids.irexnet.com:443/redirector</redirectUrl>
    </userProfile>
Maybe modifying <redirectUrl></redirectUrl> can help you.

I have never used Chinese version, so I can't guarantee anything.

Besides, I highly suspect that you bought a Chinese version iLiad. And since there is no 2nd edition for Chinese version, it should be a first editon.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
romhey

Hmm
iliad is for sure 2nd edition, i checked carefully when i bought it.
Regarding checking registry; problem is that i don't have access to filesystem as i can't install terminal or ssh.
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

Since you got confirmation from iRex, your iLiad should be a 2nd edition definitely.

Can you do a reflash from CF with format option? Normally, it should wipe out all contents, including registry, in ROM. Then, your iLiad will be a pure European version.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
romhey

Yes, i have tried this already - no help. I am running out of ideas. If i could get access to file system and change iDS link to europe, then i guess update should be ok, unfortunatelly i cannot find the way to install ssh or terminal on 2.10 software.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
ericshliao
Guru

There are several options when doing reflash from CF. Are you sure that you did it with format option?

Normally, if you reflash with format option, you should have no problem connecting to European iDS to get updates. Since reflash from CF with format option is the last solution on user side, if it does not help, then you may have to send it back to iRex.

In fact, there may be another way to rescue malfunctioning or bricked iLiad. You can create a bootable CF and use it to boot and copy some files to make iLiad back to normal. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44429. But since you don't have shell access, I guess this approach does not apply to your situation.

Last edited by ericshliao; 10-05-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
romhey

Ok, update:
Looks like guys from iliad fixed this. I sent them another message and asked to redirect me to european iDS server, an looks like they did. Just now my iliad updated to 2.12 and developer package already installed. So i got my faith at iRex back.
Ericshliao, thank you very much for your help, appreciated.

Life is beautiful again.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
ericshliao
Guru

I am glad that you got the problem solved.

So, it seems that iRex has a list of server redirection for each device. The iDS server use that list to redirect each device to European or Chinese iDS server. And your device was set to Chinese iDS server. Quite interesting.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
romhey

I think they're recognizing devices by mac address, and in my case they just forwarded it to European server. Settings of which server to connect are inside of device, but they're able to control it.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #12
ericshliao
Guru

Since iRex can control the redirecting to iDS server, why did they ask you to send it back for repair? They should tell you that they can fix it online in the first reply. If you didn't ask them to do the redirecting things, would they pretend that there is no such solution? I have a bad feeling about this.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
romhey

Exactly,
Point is that my second message to them was a little harsh. Maybe that's makes them to change mind. Since then I didn't get a reply.