Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thank you for clearification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Robert, the hyperlink takes you immediately to the end of the chapter where the endnote (like a footnote except a footnote is at the bottom of the page and the endnotes are collected at the end of the chapter) is located.

Personally, I almost never read the endnotes while I'm reading the text. I read the chapter, and then read all the endnotes at once to see if any are interesting. But I agree that the hyperlink would be a good thing to have.
My boss knows what Hyperlinks are and explains that they require wireless and a browser. It sounds, however, like this is not what you need. You are looking for support for hyperlinks within a book (such as GA Russell gave the example of "takes you immediately to the end of chapter for an endnote".

Let me get some answers.

And, Mr. Griffonwing, I am a little tactless today as I am working 16 hour days to help get the Pocket PRO shipments out. It is bedlam here right now!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Robert, the hyperlink takes you immediately to the end of the chapter where the endnote (like a footnote except a footnote is at the bottom of the page and the endnotes are collected at the end of the chapter) is located.

Personally, I almost never read the endnotes while I'm reading the text. I read the chapter, and then read all the endnotes at once to see if any are interesting. But I agree that the hyperlink would be a good thing to have.
Actually, endnotes are at the end of the book. I make the endnotes one per page as that way you don't get a glimpse of any other endnotes while reading the one you are meant to be reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
My boss knows what Hyperlinks are and explains that they require wireless and a browser. It sounds, however, like this is not what you need. You are looking for support for hyperlinks within a book (such as GA Russell gave the example of "takes you immediately to the end of chapter for an endnote".

Let me get some answers.

And, Mr. Griffonwing, I am a little tactless today as I am working 16 hour days to help get the Pocket PRO shipments out. It is bedlam here right now!
I have no idea how your boss got to be boss being so clueless about his business.

Anyway, download the ePub in this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54886 It is the first volume of the Haggard eBooks that HarryT made. Just run it with ADE for your computer and just start at the first page and go forward a few pages until you see the contents page. All the links to the various chapters are hyperlinks within the one ePub file. With the EZ Reader and Pocket PRO, you should be able to navigate to any one of those and then select the one you want and be taken to that part of the book. This is something that needs to be fixed ASAP if not sooner.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea how your boss got to be boss being so clueless about his business.

Anyway, download the ePub in this thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54886 It is the first volume of the Haggard eBooks that HarryT made. Just run it with ADE for your computer and just start at the first page and go forward a few pages until you see the contents page. All the links to the various chapters are hyperlinks within the one ePub file. With the EZ Reader and Pocket PRO, you should be able to navigate to any one of those and then select the one you want and be taken to that part of the book. This is something that needs to be fixed ASAP if not sooner.
I assume these hyperlinks work in the PC/Mac version of ADE so he could see a working example?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #20
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Robert
I love it when you say this is only the first of the updates that means that the firmware will only keep getting better.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
JS: please, does Sony have ADE Hyperlink

Quote:
Actually, endnotes are at the end of the book. I make the endnotes one per page as that way you don't get a glimpse of any other endnotes while reading the one you are meant to be reading.
Dear JS:

Does Sony have this hyperlink in epub? WHY I am asking is because if they do... then we know that epub could have this support and our factory can add it. If Sony does not have it yet... the problem could be with ADE's epub and the factory could do very little.

JS:

Try this:

1. Bring up the index of hyperlinks in any epub eBook
2. Press the "ok" button
3. Press button #4 saying "go to catalog"
4. Press the appropriate numbered key for the hyperlink that you want

Is this what you wanted?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yes, these are hyperlinks within the open ebook. They are identical to hyperlinks on a web page, except that only links local to the file are allowed. See the attached example, which is on an EZ Reader Basic, I think in a MOBI ebook. This page is part of an internal table of contents, implemented as a set of hyperlinks (which is why they are underlined). When I select "Follow link" from the menu, all the links on the current page have a number associated with them and I type in the number I want to follow. Note that you also need a way to go back after reading the link. For MOBI, this is the "backwards" menu item.

Some ebook formats have special syntax for a TOC and footnotes, but hyperlinks can be used for these operations and for other things - and are required for ePub conformance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_T3M_MR2H.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	35338   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_T3M_MR3H.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	35339  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Well, if it is the same boss who runs the entire company, he probably knows lots about security and IP cameras which I believe make up most of the company's business? I am saying that based on Astak's main website and the results I would get when searching for "Astak" on Google, YouTube, and various store websites for EZ Reader information. I'm guessing that e-book readers are likely still a smaller part of the overall company and get a therefore smaller piece of his attention. Chances are that the boss's knowledge level will go up as the revenue figures from the division go up and more attention is justified. Since this is the part of the business making a product that interests me, I wish it were otherwise, but gotta follow the bigger $ to stay in business.

It is a feature that would be great if it worked properly, but I'm generally too lazy to use end notes unless I'm really confused. If you like using them, however, I can see it being really frustrating because it seems like something obvious that should just work and not be a hard concept for this kind of a device. If it was a simple click and right back to the text perhaps I would actually start using the end notes more often... Perhaps end notes are more of an English language thing and Chinese doesn't have an equivalent? If not I could see why the programmers don't see it as important.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 AM   #24
cingkrab
cingkrab began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
Hi Robert:

I'm not sure if you've already read it, but the Hanlin V5 review thread started by Mneme has more info on the hyperlink issue with Jinke firmware and its limitations:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55228

Also, JSWolf indicated in this post that Sony readers do support internal hyperlinks:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=33

Last edited by cingkrab; 09-03-2009 at 12:20 AM.
cingkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Dear JS:

Does Sony have this hyperlink in epub? WHY I am asking is because if they do... then we know that epub could have this support and our factory can add it. If Sony does not have it yet... the problem could be with ADE's epub and the factory could do very little.

JS:
Yes, the Sony has it. So does the Bookeen Opus, the CoolER, and pretty much every other ePub-supporting device except the Jinke devices.

Quote:
Try this:

1. Bring up the index of hyperlinks in any epub eBook
2. Press the "ok" button
3. Press button #4 saying "go to catalog"
4. Press the appropriate numbered key for the hyperlink that you want

Is this what you wanted?
No. That's the ePub table of contents. We are talking about hyperlinks within the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #26
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Another kind of link is needed to use Wikipedia in epub format someday: links to a precise part/chapter/definition within another book in the same directory.
Such files are available in mobi format in several languages but they are not supported by the Hanlin V3. But the older files that contain Wikipedia in one big mobi file (around 300 MB) allow navigating through Wikipedia with links:
http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp
Since it is over for the mobi format, a nice goal would be to make epub's link support even better than mobi's.
And Wikipedia in the reader would be a nice advantage for the first ereader brand capable of offering it to customers.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am certain that once they are implemented, the Astak hyperlinks will be infinitely stronger, and the most powerful hyperlinks of any ereader on the market.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To select a link with an EZ Reader you have to put in a link number? WOW! I much prefer the way it's done on the 505 which is to use the arrow buttons to navigate to the link of my choice on the screen and then use the enter button to actually activate the link.

I don't see why the 9/0 keys cannot be used to navigate links the same way and then the OK to go.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
When I select "Follow link" from the menu, all the links on the current page have a number associated with them and I type in the number I want to follow. Note that you also need a way to go back after reading the link.
This is the way that Hanlin's currently implement hyperlink support for MOBI. An alternative technique is used by OpenInkPot on the Hanlins, and generically by many other devices. Select "Follow link" and the 1st hyperlink on the page is highlighted, use the < and > buttons to move between hyperlinks on the current page (i.e. shift the highlight to another hyperlink), use OK to select the highlighted link or use some key (exit?) to quit the hyperlink operation. This approach may be more compatible with the Adobe Digital Editions SDK, since it is already in use on several other devices. Note that you still need a "go back" option for returning to the main text from a hyperlinked footnote, for example. I think either approach is ok. The number approach might be quicker if there are many links on the page, but the numbers are small and hard to read. A variant of the "numbers" approach would be to build a "Table of Contents" out of the hyperlinks on the page. This would give you a catalogue containing 8 links per (catalogue) page, and would take advantage of the existing "catalogue" navigation code. If there were more than 8 links on the current page, the catalogue would contain multiple pages but multi-page catalogues (TOCs) are already suported.

So far as I can tell, the Hanlins don't support hyperlinks in most ebook formats. Not even in a format like HTML, which only has hyperlinks for navigation (i.e. no external Table of Contents). I'm not sure about support in FB2, because I did not have an example with internal hyperlinks.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-03-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #30
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
I don't see why the 9/0 keys cannot be used to navigate links the same way and then the OK to go.
OpenInkPot uses this technique on the Hanlins, see my very recent post above which crossed yours.