Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
eReader going down the drain?

Chris Meadows is not happy with eReader.com. He quotes a person saying that the internal search engine is not working properly. He points out how difficult it was to find the software download links and how slow customer services was in helping him out, plus their incompetence in updating the FAQ section.

Well, I am actually quite happy with eReader.com. My only concern is lack of recent updates of the reading software, especially for WM2003SE Pocket PC devices.

Did anyone else here on board experience trouble with eReader.com?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The site has seemed to be completely neglected except for the book lists and items directly related to book sales. It was hard to even get info on what you get extra when you buy the pro version of ereader. And if you look at FAQs or online manuals/help it's pretty rediculous.

But in terms of the reader functionality and the way the whole ebook DRM and sales work, it's not too bad so far. Right now they are my preferred ebook seller. And I briefly had some conversations with some of the high level people there, who seemed very mature and competent. They left me with a good feeling about things.

Hopefully we'll start to see more put into the site in the future, as well as upgrades to the ereader software. I'd hate to think that they are just milking it. (Like CA became famous for doing with software... buy something, don't maintain it, but just soak up the revenue until it dies. If you work in IT, you probably know what I mean.)

Time will tell, but for now I'm still comfortable with them.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
eReader is still my favorite commercial e-book format right now, because it is less restrictive than most (allowing you to install the same purchased e-book on any device).

It irkes me though that they haven't updated their reader software in a LONG time. I needed to use various hacks and go back to an older eReader version to be able to read eReader books on my VGA PPC.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
Alistair
Alistair began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
I know how you feel. I have just gotten my Tungsten and I love ereader, but am not pleased with ereader.com's search engine. I think the gentleman in the link was a little harsh but I can understand. My wife has a PocketPC and recently enquired with eReader support when VGA support was comming as it has been a while since an update. The gentleman at ereader support was very cordial and appologized and informed her that VGA support would be comming in the next release of their software.
Does anyone know if there is a real reason to buy the pro version of their software? I don't really need a dictionary. Thank you ahead of time for any replies.
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
bruceathome
smartphone addict
bruceathome began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone - moving to android soon
I've never had a problem with eReader. I buy lots of ebooks from them, as well as from Powells. I tend to do a search on both sites, and purchase my books from the cheapest source. I've always found searching very straight forward.

Just my two cents.

And by the way, I can't see any point in buying the Pro version, the freeware version works excellently.
bruceathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Alistair

Thanks for the response Bruce. The free version works for me so I think you may be right. I will stick with that one.
I have a credit card charge I am unsure of so looks like I will be contacting ereader support. They are listed on my statement as Palm Digital Media. I dont remember ordering from them. Is that the same group? There is number on the statement so we shall see.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You should be okay. They've had different names.... Palm Digital Media and Peanut Press are two I can think of, plus eReader of course. The parent company also used to be something like Power By Hand, and I don't even remember the new name.

Enjoy the books!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Alistair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
You should be okay. They've had different names.... Palm Digital Media and Peanut Press are two I can think of, plus eReader of course. The parent company also used to be something like Power By Hand, and I don't even remember the new name.

Enjoy the books!
Thank you for the help BobR. If I had just used the search funtion I would have found out this info as I have now. I normally do try to find things on my own. I apologize for crowding a thread with my laziness.

It IS weird about the charge though. I attempted to call them today at the number listed, but had to leave a message. No LIVE people anymore it seems. I wont give up though as my wife has been able to reach them before.I will follow up with them tomorrow.

Thanks again.