Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
jordan0
jordan0 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Conversion hung at 67%

My conversion gets hung at 67%.

I've read previous threads. If you're planning to tell me 1500+ minutes is normal and the conversion is *still working*, well, I doubt it.

The eBook isn't even that large about ~45 MB.

Here's proof:

Any idea what's causing this other than "it's working give it time"?
jordan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What sort of book is it, if it has a huge number of internal links it can take a very long time. Apparently some religious texts have this characteristic and they can take days to convert.

The progress percent is stepwise not linear.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
jordan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What sort of book is it, if it has a huge number of internal links it can take a very long time. Apparently some religious texts have this characteristic and they can take days to convert.

The progress percent is stepwise not linear.

BR
Thanks for responding.

It's not a religious text, it's an eBook with ~600 pages.

I skimmed through and I don't see very many links either. I'm going to try to convert on a more powerful PC to see if the results are any different, and keep this thread updated.

Is there a reason the progress bar is notoriously bad at keeping the user informed about the actual progress of the conversion? If it's step-wise then each phase should be separated into different progress bars with specific ETAs.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you want to convert to PDF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
jordan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is that relevant, sorry?
Advert
Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0 View Post
Is there a reason the progress bar is notoriously bad at keeping the user informed about the actual progress of the conversion? If it's step-wise then each phase should be separated into different progress bars with specific ETAs.
I would guess that 99.99% of conversions are done within a minute or two on a modest computer, hence users don't even look at the Jobs Queue. So a more sophisticated progress indicator would only be useful on 1 in 10,000 conversions.

But the source code is available, so... you know the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0 View Post
Why is that relevant, sorry?
Perhaps because he knows there other ways to convert PDFs. See ==>> Read this before Posting PDF Questions

I convert up to a dozen PDF's a day, I have neither the time nor the inclination to seek an optimal solution for each PDF, I've found the following suits me best...

I drop PDF's into MobiCreator, if the resultant PRC is in good shape I convert it to EPUB and fix with an EPUB editor (Sigil or calibre's book editor), if the PRC is in poor shape I convert it to RTF and bash that into shape in Word, using the eBook Tools Add-in for Word (thread in Workshop forum) and my 20+ years-worth of macros. I save as DOCX and convert that to EPUB. Either way I end up with an adequate EPUB.

If your objective is get something that better suits an ereader, another alternative is bend the PDF into a different shape using the K2pdfopt program (see stickie in PDF forum).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-19-2016 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo -
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
coleman
Connoisseur
coleman began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets and phones, Windows tablet, Kobo Aura One
I've never figured out why that happens, but I've noticed it happens on every single book I convert. Even with multiple conversions running, each one will appear to hang at 67%. I've been assuming that the progress bar is more like points in the conversion progress, rather then amount through any given book being converted (i.e. if the conversion process is 9 steps, step 6 is particularly intensive. Because typically, once it decides to get past 67%, it essentially finishes instantly after that.

It's good to know someone else sees that behavior, I'm running Calibre in a VM with considerable resources(for a VM that pretty much just runs Calibre and a couple other things) and have always been puzzled by that but never figured out what it was.

Edit:
Oh look, now that I read the whole thread carefully, I see someone points out it's steps. Fail on my part there!

Last edited by coleman; 09-28-2016 at 07:44 PM.
coleman is offline   Reply With Quote