Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #1
FraggleRock
FraggleRock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD force library update

Hello Everybody,

I've been offered a Kobo Aura HD reader. I set it up, update firmawre, check wifi connexion and everything is working normally.
After that i've tried to copy 7 epub book without DRM (old French books). I've created a Folder on the root of the memory and copy epub files there (USB Connexion).
I switched off the reader and then switch it on. The first time nothing happends, no books in the library. Ho ! The second time only 4 books were in the library.
Better but not enough.
I tried to delete books through de Windows 7 file manager and switch off / on the reader. The deleted book was still in the library as the file was deleted. If i click the book on the reader it said to me that there is a DRM problem, with a free book wrote in 1750 ! Surprise.
I tried to reset the reader, nothing more happend !
After 10-15 switch off / on, the reader shows me an updating message and after all my books were in the library. Yesss ! I thing it's because after ejecting the device in windows i waited for automatic rebbot, but i'm not totally sure.

So my question is very simple, what should i do to update the library.

Thank you for you're help and excuse me for my English.
FraggleRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a setting under "Accounts" to log out of your Kobo account doing so will have you re-setup your Database. The Kobo software is slaved to its SQLite database, it will not know your books are on the device until and unless the book is properly processed and accepted by the database. There are other Alternative reading programs that you can install on your Kobo device that do not use a database in that fashion, at all.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post
I tried to delete books through de Windows 7 file manager
Don't do that, instead use the remove function on the device itself to delete books (long press on the book title in the library, select Remove from the menu that pops up).

You can add books by copying them from the computer to the device's filesystem and then safely ejecting the device using the computer's eject function. Everything else you should really do either using the functions on the device itself, or using a program like Calibre that understands how to update the device's database, unless you know what is safe to change manually.

Edit: If your database has become corrupted then you can start fresh with a new database by logging out of your Kobo account as Ken described above.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-26-2013 at 04:15 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I always delete books from my Aura HD through the Windows 7 file manager. Haven't run into any problems so far. Is there a downside that I may have overlooked?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Welcome to the Kobo world!

The first time I got a corrupted database was when I tried to create a folder and did it the wrong way. So now I don't create them, Calibre does. Excepted when I want to add some fonts.
With the corrupted database, I needed to log out of my account and log in again.

Bonne chance
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I always delete books from my Aura HD through the Windows 7 file manager. Haven't run into any problems so far. Is there a downside that I may have overlooked?
It might have changed since I did it last, but when I deleted a book from the computer the record was still left in the database, and so later when I sideloaded a different version of the book the reader still used the TOC from the deleted book, and I had all sorts of problems with navigation in the book. Deleting using the device's menus and reloading the book sorted it out.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I see. Thanks. I'm not sure if I have ever reloaded a book that I deleted before. Of course when I create a book I load and delete different versions all the time, but they always have different file names.

But it seems quite a waste of memory to keep those old records, so perhaps I'll start deleting directly from the device after all.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
FraggleRock

Thank's all,

There is nothing about that in pdf user manual. Maybe in English but nothing in French. It's seems like everything is done to make you buy a book and only this.
Peopole who are only copying books is not a good business.

Thank you again.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
FraggleRock

Hi all,

i found an easy way to update library. Here the steps :
- plug the Kobo to the computer (Windows 7 x64 for me)
- select connect on the reader
- copy epub file using windows file brower
- switch off the computer while the reader is still connected
- when the computer is off, the redaer updates the database and new books appear in the library.

Maybe it can help.

Last edited by FraggleRock; 01-18-2014 at 05:59 AM.