Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I was under the impression that books could be accessed directly from the home screen. Is that accurate? If not, I too would rather bypass it altogether.
Only books and all content for that matter that you buy directly from BN can be accessed from the home screen. Side loaded books can only be accessed from the library area.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I just received a very nice email from a CSR-Digital Support person from B&N named Jessie regarding my inquiry about not being able to put side loaded content on the home screen. It is as people suggested, reserved for BN content only. Their reasoning is that it can be reset by BN.com or in a store depending on promotions, etc. Something strange and he wrote that it would wipe out any personal content from that area. Sounds fishy.

What I liked about his response wasn't the standard fare above, it was that he acknowledged that this function/feature could very well end up appearing in a future update. Whether that ever happens remains to be seen. My request is being logged and hopefully enough other people complain as well.

If it happens cool. If not, oh well.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad5427 View Post
It's funny. This is actually such a minor inconvenience. As mentioned elsewhere. Their open library organization is really fantastic. I can still easily access whatever I want and have already created custom shelves for things I want to get to quickly.

The home screen isn't really necessary. It's just a minor thing that just bugs me. It's more that they don't have it advertised than anything. I even understand why they have it that way, to make their stuff stand out in the forefront. Cool.

Overall, everything else has seriously been pretty fantastic. My life and work revolves around my laptop and my smartphone (an old bb storm which when dead will most likely become something android next year). I can do everything I need to on them. It's why I didn't get a full tablet. This will truly do everything I want. Read books very nicely. Comics look amazing. It's a nice first run at a browser that I think will only take an update or two to get much better. It's good for now. I think magazines look great and might even explore that. With some recipe apps and a little more video and it's the perfect simple media device I was waiting for. Just that much more than a pure ereader to make it worthwhile.

yeah I'm with you, the more I'm playing the more I'm loving it. Read a few more pages during lunch and so far I'm not totalling missing my eink, but the jury will still be out on that.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I was under the impression that books could be accessed directly from the home screen. Is that accurate? If not, I too would rather bypass it altogether.
Yes definitely they can (but only books/magazines from the B&N store). However, I just find the screen itself silly and superfluous and liked the old Nook store much more. It's partly that I don't like the way it works and partly that it ends up looking like a crappy windows desktop with a goofy wallpaper and icons all over the place (whether they've been "cleaned up" or arranged or not) and less like an ebook reader. The library, with shelves etc, I like a lot.
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
...it ends up looking like a crappy windows desktop with a goofy wallpaper and icons all over the place (whether they've been "cleaned up" or arranged or not)...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #21
dirtygreek
dirtygreek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Clarification - I Meant I like the library more. The new Nook store is actually really cool. The home screen is what I don't like (and what looks like a silly windows desktop)
dirtygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #22
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
i like the idea of the homescreen, but if you can only put books from B+N..then why bother havin it =/
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
@Scion...thank you for the chuckle...I can't stop laughing!
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #24
plz$tand_by
plz$tand_by began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
So I noticed this is a bit outdated, but I came across this thread and decided to share my two cents if the issue has not been resolved. If you hook up your nook color to a pc and copy and paste the pdfs to your library doc called "books" you can then have the option of adding them to your home screen. Its kind of a loophole but it works for me and Im on the nook color 1.4.2
plz$tand_by is offline   Reply With Quote