Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Cass
Cass began at the beginning.

Device: K3
The Root?

ok, so im new to diving into the inner workings of a kindle - in fact i have only started in the last hour or so lol and i have found some really awesome threads on how to do what i wanted to do (i want the screensaver hack on my kindle - im sick of looking at the authors already) but there is only one problem that i am having: im a noob and cant seem to figure out what they mean by 'the root' of my kindle.... im not completely inexperienced when it comes to computers and i can usually find the said root folder, but that being said - there doesnt seem to be one that even sounds like it would be its root would someone kindly help me out in my blonde moment of doom and tell me what is meant by the 'root' of me kindle?
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
The root folder on a drive is the base folder. When you plug the Kindle in to your computer, the root folder should be the first folder you get to. The one you have to go through to open the other folders.

From what I've read, the screensaver hack seems pretty straightforward, but if you're not experienced enough to know where the root folder is, I would not recommend you try to apply any kind of hack on your own.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Cass
Cass began at the beginning.

Device: K3
well thank you for your response, i had actually already figured it out though lol, as for the experience- i have plenty of experience on hacking programs on a pc - but i think that might have been where my problem really was: i didnt expect the folder to be so obvious when most of the hacks i work with take some maneuvering and extra work! i think that sometimes my kids have melted my brain =D
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
technically the kindle root (linux filesystem) is hidden - the firmware partition, and you can only see the fat32 fs that is mounted.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote